Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone's thoughts on De Rossi. Should he be titolare in a midfield partnership with Pirlo or should Lippi opt for the more experienced Gattuso who's all round game is nowhere near as sound as the Romanista?

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Pirlo and Gattuso allmost have to be played with eachother imo. Pirlo without Gattuso is vulnerable. Gattuso without Pirlo lack vision. I dont think De Rossi is Gattuso's sub, nor Pirlo's. A different tactical approach is needed if one of them doesnt play.

(PS. I am by no means arguing that they have to be played, simple that they need to be played together)

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Giallorosso_01 said:
---Camoranesi---Gattuso---De Rossi---
which is tactically different from: Camo-De Rossi-Gattuso

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
barracuda said:
Pirlo and Gattuso allmost have to be played with eachother imo. Pirlo without Gattuso is vulnerable. Gattuso without Pirlo lack vision. I dont think De Rossi is Gattuso's sub, nor Pirlo's. A different tactical approach is needed if one of them doesnt play.

(PS. I am by no means arguing that they have to be played, simple that they need to be played together)
That's a very good point about Pirlo being vulnerable without Gattuso because even at the best of times Pirlo looks like a dear caught in the headlights when he's in transition from offence to defence. Sometimes I think Pirlo needs a pure stay at home DM rather than a good 2-way CM because god forbid De Rossi, let's just say, pinches and gets caught deep in the attack. If we have to rely on Pirlo to hold down the fort in the meantime right down the middle we'd be very easily exploited.

Then again though, maybe we're not giving De Rossi the credit he deserves as a holding mid.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
If De Rossi carries the same kind of form into the WC as he has shown the last couple of months, then there's no reason for Gattuso to be anywhere but on the bench.
If Totti is a starter on the other hand.... I might opt for Gattuso instead of De Rossi, as we all know the game plan would then be to give Totti the ball.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Glen said:
If De Rossi carries the same kind of form into the WC as he has shown the last couple of months, then there's no reason for Gattuso to be anywhere but on the bench.
If Totti is a starter on the other hand.... I might opt for Gattuso instead of De Rossi, as we all know the game plan would then be to give Totti the ball.
:thumbsup:

Basically it depends on what kind of lineup Lippi has in mind and the opposition Italy faces.
Given the choice, possibly Lippi would field a Milan style lineup.
Obviously should Totti not recover from his injury, given the facyt that he would be fielded in a Kaka style position, Lippi would necessarily need to sort things out.
It would be unfair not to point out that De Rossi is currently having his best moment of his career, in the past I was not that impressed by him, and in all fairness I was quite puzzled by the fact that he was in the NT squad. Obviously I hope that his magical moment won't just continue, but will even further to new heights :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glen said:
If that's the game plan then maybe it's better Totti doesn't play because not to dwell too much into Germany but the beauty of that game was that they didn't know what was going on because if it wasn't our forwards it was De Rossi, Pirlo and Camo that were penetrating.

Being predictable like only "giving Totti the ball" is a 1-way ticket to failure.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
CinqueDiMaggio said:
If that's the game plan then maybe it's better Totti doesn't play because not to dwell too much into Germany but the beauty of that game was that they didn't know what was going on because if it wasn't our forwards it was De Rossi, Pirlo and Camo that were penetrating.

Being predictable like only "giving Totti the ball" is a 1-way ticket to failure.
There are ways to play with Totti and not make it a one man show.
The Roma since the game against Samp in December for example: Totti has played, he's been important, but our main threat was penetrating runs from our midfielders, just as you describe DDR, Camo and Pirlo doing against ze germans.

Lippi is always full of praise and respect for Spalletti, so I can't help but to think that he's well aware of the possibility of using Totti in such a system rather than Trap's limelight tactic. Most of all is Lippi such a good coach himself that he knows how to use Totti the best, should he recover.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cacìni said:
There are ways to play with Totti and not make it a one man show.
The Roma since the game against Samp in December for example: Totti has played, he's been important, but our main threat was penetrating runs from our midfielders, just as you describe DDR, Camo and Pirlo doing against ze germans.

Lippi is always full of praise and respect for Spalletti, so I can't help but to think that he's well aware of the possibility of using Totti in such a system rather than Trap's limelight tactic. Most of all is Lippi such a good coach himself that he knows how to use Totti the best, should he recover.
In a perfect world that would be the best case scenario. Problem for me and why I don't subscribe to that theory is because I saw how Lippi overused Zidane and Nedved for Juve. We were so predictable that everything went through Zizou then after Nedved that it cost us, maybe not so much in Italy, but in Champions for sure.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Diavolo said:

Basically it depends on what kind of lineup Lippi has in mind and the opposition Italy faces.
Given the choice, possibly Lippi would field a Milan style lineup.
Obviously should Totti not recover from his injury, given the facyt that he would be fielded in a Kaka style position, Lippi would necessarily need to sort things out.
It would be unfair not to point out that De Rossi is currently having his best moment of his career, in the past I was not that impressed by him, and in all fairness I was quite puzzled by the fact that he was in the NT squad. Obviously I hope that his magical moment won't just continue, but will even further to new heights :)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Gattuso and Pirlo make sense because they know each other and Gattuso knows not to leave Pirlo alone. De Rossi is more adventurous than Gattuso as he has better all round skills and is more offensively equipped as such.

For me i think Camoranesi will be the factor for De Rossi. Lippi may opt for Milan's style and play De Rossi with Pirlo and Gattuso in midfield and totti behind the forwards. This may leave Camoranesi out in the cold, something which i see being silly as he is really playing great.

i think lippi has some experimenting to do with Gattuso and De Rossi.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Why would Lippi want to use pirlo-gattusso if they cannot live without one another.?

The mid with Camoranesi surely looked offensive, totti may stay Leftish 'foward'.. in Lippi 433.

Based on Current form

Camoranesi _ DeRossi _ Perrotta :D

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Adriano10 said:
Based on Current form

Camoranesi _ DeRossi _ Perrotta
Well...yes, as a matter of fact. Perrotta will never get into the starting eleven, but I do hope he's one of the first subs Lippi plans on making in games. He deserves it.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Perrotta though I do not see as a DM of the Italian NT. He is a good player to bring on should Italian managers want to defend leads though as he does that part, but breaks from midfield quickly too. When Italy lead they always take off 1 forward and so its best to take that forward off for another attacking player who can defend than just a player like C. Zanetti or someone like this who would give up ball to the other team and hardly move forward allowing teams to pressure us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts