Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Uruguay keep the GOOD form they had at the Tranning Copa America ??? :confused:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ecuador seek coach as Gomez quits

QUITO, Ecuador, July 27 (Reuters) - Ecuador started searching for a new coach on Tuesday after efforts to convince Colombian Hernan Dario Gomez to stay with the team failed, Ecuador's soccer federation said.
Gomez, who quit after a disappointing Copa America campaign, is considered a hero in the Andean nation for taking Ecuador to their first World Cup in 2002.

Ecuador officials had promised to try to convince Gomez to withdraw his resignation but have now accepted his decision to step down.

'The Federation's board has asked the president of the soccer federation to analyse alternatives, names of potential candidates to coach the national team,' Federation president Luis Chiriboga told reporters in the port city of Guayaquil.

Chiriboga said he hoped to announce a new coach next week.

Gomez, known as 'Bolillo', became a national hero in Ecuador by breathing new life into the team and a sense of national pride that fans had long lacked. He took charge of Ecuador after coaching Colombia from 1994-98.

Gomez quit after Ecuador lost all three Copa America matches, including a 6-1 thrashing by Argentina.

Ecuador lie fifth in the 10-team South American qualifying group for the 2006 World Cup.

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So........anitabolso....gives your views here ..... we're waiting !!!!

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sept 4 Peru Argentina
Sept 5 all the remainding games

·
Registered
473 Posts
"So........anitabolso....gives your views here ..... we're waiting !!!! "

Are you? :sweeteye:
Actually I don't know...I guess I'm waiting for the game to see what happens. But I think if the players keep the same view and work as hard as they did in the copa america, they could do pretty well.
But, as I said, time will tell...

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically, until this eliminatories got underway..Uruguays Centenario was always or a majority of times 0 points for the visitor..
So with the good performance after Copa America the Charruas can again make their home unbeatable... ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
yep...it SHOULD be unbeatable! It pissed me off so bad to see venezuela and peru beating us so easily at home...
But I have to say I don't give them all the credits for that, we were actually so awful at the last 3 matches that losing was entirely our responsiblity. Everytime I read ilovecolombia's posts being so proud about beating us 5-0...I just have to laugh, they can't use that as an example, it was no challenge to beat us, believe me!
But by now I think the team's more much of a team and they regained some confidence, so hopefully we'll do just fine.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Well that will have to be seen, because they could easily say that Uruguay tied the best team in the classification 3-3 with virtually the same team, so the peruvians, venezuelans and colombians could get some bragging rights there ;)

BTW which team is that in your avatar (anitabolso)?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Against Brazil:
Gustavo Munúa
Adrián Romero
Diego López
Joe Bizera
Eduardo Lago
Nelson Abeijón
Marcelo Sosa
Martín Ligüera
Diego Forlán 2
Germán Hornos
Marcelo Zalayeta

Against Colombia:
Gustavo Munúa
Cristian González
Alejandro Lembo
Marcelo De Souza
Adrián Romero
Marcelo Romero
Pablo García
Javier Delgado
Fabián Canobbio
Alvaro Recoba
Ernesto Chevantón

Only 2 players that played in Brazil started in Colombia.. same lineup?

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mmmmm great point !!!!! ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
SPANIARD said:
Well that will have to be seen, because they could easily say that Uruguay tied the best team in the classification 3-3 with virtually the same team, so the peruvians, venezuelans and colombians could get some bragging rights there ;)

BTW which team is that in your avatar (anitabolso)?

The thing is that the team went into a deep depression. One same team can play a lot of games and play very differently on each one. It's got nothing to do.
The team on my avatar is EL BOLSO, meaning, Nacional de Montevideo. :jester:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New Ecuador coach Suarez picks first squad

QUITO, Aug 8 (Reuters) - Ecuador's new coach Luis Suarez has named 14 players to start training in Guayaquil for a World Cup qualifier against Uruguay next month, the Ecuadorean Football Federation (FEF) announced on Sunday.

Suarez took charge on Tuesday, replacing fellow Colombian Hernan Dario Gomez who resigned after Ecuador's poor showing in the Copa America in Peru last month.

He is expected to add to the squad after the Copa Sudamericana tie between leading clubs Liga de Quito and Aucas, who meet over two legs on Wednesday and Saturday.

The Ecuadoreans meet Uruguay in Montevideo on September 5.

Ecuador, who reached their first World Cup finals under Gomez in 2002, are fifth in the 10-team South American qualifying group for the 2006 tournament in Germany with 10 points from seven matches. Uruguay are ninth on seven points.

The top four qualify automatically while the fifth-placed team will go into a playoff.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Christian Mora (Macara), Damian Lanza (Deportivo Cuenca)

Defenders: Carlos Quinonez (Emelec), Fricson George (Barcelona), Segundo Matamba, John Cagua (both Deportivo Cuenca), Juan Trivino (Emelec)

Midfielder: Moises Candelario (Emelec), Leonardo Soledispa, Walter Ayovi, Armando Paredes (all Barcelona)

Forwards: Carlos Quinonez (Deportivo Cuenca), Ivan Kaviedes, Danny Vera (both Barcelona)

·
Registered
525 Posts
what ecuador doesnt have anyone playing in europe that team looks regular at BEST!!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
ilovecolombia said:
what ecuador doesnt have anyone playing in europe that team looks regular at BEST!!
Yeah with 14 players in a squad you can make that comment, but when the real squad comes out you won't post a thing :rollani:

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fossati's Men ...

Arqueros: Sebastián Viera (Nacional), Ignacio De León (Fénix).

Defensas: Joe Bizera (Peñarol), Aldo Giménez (Liverpool), Alejandro Lago (Fénix), Adrián Romero (Nacional), Carlos Valdez (Nacional).

Volantes: Marcelo Broli (Fénix), Carlos Diogo (Peñarol), Cristian Rodríguez (Peñarol), Jorge Martínez (Wanderers), Daniel Pereira (Peñarol), Federico Rariz (Nacional).

Delanteros: Carlos Bueno (Peñarol), Alexander Medina (Nacional), Gonzalo Vargas (Defensor Sporting), Fabián Estoyanoff (Fénix).

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ecuador's new coach makes sweeping squad changes :rollani:

QUITO, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Ecuador's new coach Luis Fernando Suarez has included four uncapped players and left out 36-year-old midfielder Alex Aguinaga for next month's World Cup qualifier away to Uruguay.

Striker Franklin Salas and experienced midfielders Alfonso Obregon and Edwin Tenorio were also excluded from the 21-man squad for the game in Montevideo on September 5.

Suarez, a Colombian who won the first stage of this year's Ecuadorean championship with unfancied Aucas, replaced his compatriot Hernan Dario Gomez who resigned after the Copa America in Peru last month.

Gomez, who became a national hero in Ecuador when he led the country to their first World Cup in 2002, threw in the towel after his side lost all three games, the defeats including a 6-1 drubbing by Argentina.

Aguinaga, who has won over 100 caps, is still considered one of the country's best players.

Defender Renan Calle, midfielder Armando Paredes, goalkeeper Edwin Villafuerte and striker Carlos Quinones were all selected for the first time.

There was also a recall for striker Ivan Kaviedes, who signed for English Premier League side Crystal Palace on Thursday.

Ecuador are fifth in the South American World Cup qualifying group with 10 points from seven games. The top four teams qualify directly for the 2006 finals in Germany and the fifth plays off against the winners of the Oceania region.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Jacinto Espinoza (Liga de Quito), Damian Lanza (Deportivo Cuenca), Edwin Villafuerte (Barcelona)

Defenders: Ivan Hurtado (Pachuca, Mexico), Giovanny Espinoza (Liga de Quito), Renan Calle (Aucas), Ulises de la Cruz (Aston Villa, England), Neicer Reasco (Liga de Quito), Raul Guerron (Deportivo Quito)

Midfielders: Leonardo Soledispa (Barcelona), Marlon Ayovi (Deportivo Quito), Antonio Valencia (El Nacional), Moises Candelario (Emelec), Armando Paredes (Barcelona), Edison Mendez (Santos Laguna, Mexico), Walter Ayovi (Barcelona)

Forwards: Johnny Baldeon (Deportivo Quito), Carlos Quinonez (Deportivo Cuenca), Ivan Kaviedes (Crystal Palace, England), Agustin Delgado (no club), Carlos Tenorio (Al-Sadd, Qatar).

·
94,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Duo back in Uruguay Squad

Uruguay coach Jorge Fosatti has named his squad for next month's two World Cup qualifiers.

Fosatti has kept faith with the majority of the players that featured for Uruguay in this summer's Copa America.

Internazionale ace Alvaro Recoba and Monaco striker Javier Chevanton have been included in the squad having missed the Copa America.

Uruguay face Bolivia on September 7 in Montevideo before taking on Paraguay in Asuncion three days later. Is this ACURATE ???? I believe only one round is played in Sept !!! :neutral:

Full squad:

Fabian Carini (Juventus) Dario Rodriguez (Schalke), Paolo Montero (Juventus), Diego Perez (Monaco) Marcelo Sosa (Atletico Madrid), Javier Delgado (Saturn), Alvaro Recoba (Internazionale), Juan Martin Parodi (Panionios), Javier Chevanton (Monaco), Diego Forlan (Villarreal), Vicente Sanchez (Toluca), Dario Silva (Sevilla)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.