45,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday 15.00

According to Gazzetta Novellino could try the 4-5-1:

-------------------------Antonioli
Zenoni-----------Castellini--------Falcone---------Pisano
Diana------Dalla Bona------Volpi-----Palombo-----Tonetto
--------------------------Flachi

The coach of Empoli is Cagni, the coach who wanted the "eyes of the tigers" at Sampdoria in 2000-1 but failed the promotion to serie A in a decisive game against Piacenza (whose coach was Novellino), then was sacked at the beginning of the following season.
The n.10 of Empoli, Tavano, is a rather skilled player who is rumored to be the replacement of Flachi for the next season, but I bet he won't join us, cause he is .... expensive.

the referee will be Paparesta

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
Where's Flachi going ?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I've got a very bad feeling about this one. I think Novellino is right to change formation given our options, but I still we think we could well lose.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I fear you may lose this, Empoli are playing rather well.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Last-minute injuries aren't helping either. Our only creative player, Gasbarroni, has got some stomach problem or other, as has Mingozzi. Neither have been called up for the game.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Marchesetti given more than 10 minutes for a change: he seems to have done ok in our friendlies, and if we need a goal then at least he has scored them in the past, albeit in serie C..

Obviously we need to make sure we're safe, which we aren't yet, but after that I think that we should use the last few games to try out things in view of next season and see what everyone has to offer, including some Primavera players.

·
Registered
45,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gasba is a player I like, but there is often something which prevents him from playing... it's either the tonsillitis or the gastroenteritis or some other illness. That without considering injuries which are proper of all the football players.

Mingozzi is even worse from this point of view... and, anyway, Novellino would not consider him.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Don't worry, next week you'll face Parma and I'm sure you're going to win it.

We have almost nothing to play for plus it's on your field so I'm sure you'll win it.

Too bad about the loss today though :(

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Are you kidding? Parma are on a seriously good run, and the fact that we're at home doesn't mean a lot these days: even Treviso got a point in Genoa.

As for today's match, sounds like Falcone and Castellini had a very bad game (the first gave the ball away for the 2nd goal, the latter was subbed at half time..), other than that I think we were ok but as usual couldn't create chances, nor take them when they did come (apart from the penalty). I'd like to congratulate Mr. Flachi for his 100th goal for the club, but as it is it's totally insignificant.

We are now just 7 points from relegation, and while there are still plenty of teams between us and Messina, a lot are now within a win of us, and at least playing like they're trying to save themselves, rather than like a team feeling sorry itself for not challenging for Europe and thinking the holidays have already arrived.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Well, your misery can't contine forever you know and defeating that misery against parma is the perfect and easiest way to do so. For one simple fact that we don't have any goals any longer, we've done fighting for survival. Sure we might play for pride but hey I don't think they'll give their all for that though.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Even if you have nothing to play for you're at least on form and scoring lots. We're just terrible at the moment. Can't score, and letting in 2 goals a game. We seem intent on repeating Bologna's feat last season of getting relegated despite never being near the releagtion fight til right at the end.

We bloody well need a win next week, though, cos after that it's Roma away and we may as well not even turn up to that..

·
Registered
823 Posts
This game was so easy to predict....no coincidence that many of us knew Samp were going to put in a limp performance.

Sounds like Novellino has lost the changing room, though. And to be honest I don't even care if he'll sort it out. It's just so boring.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Agree, the sad thing is that we could all predict it. Even at the best of times in the past 3 years we've always struggled away from home against teams battling for safety, so absolutely no surprise that we lost today.

I too am not so bothered about Novellino, but I am bothered about him leading the team to get enough points to avoid relegation (5 or so needed IMO). After that things things need to change ahead of next season. Whether that includes Novellino or not I don't know, but he's certainly not doing himself any favours at the moment. Even his interviews, usually just dull, are irritating at the moment: today he mentioned that we'd got "very few points" in the last 8 matches. It's not very few, Walter, it's one.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks, and I'm sure you are right that Tavano has been along with Empoli the most recent benefactors from the selfless Padre Sampdoria. ;)

Good luck on your next game.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts