Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are meeting this team on Saturday. Mallorca have a tough schedule ahead, Depor are one of the toughest opponents. I'm sure they will be well prepared for that match and leave us a little space to attack.
Naybet who recieved a yellow card in the last match vs Real Sociedad is suspended, I think for this one. So, the second central defender spot remains unsure. It might be Djorovic. But Héctor has played as a central defender too, so he might be a possibility as well. I prefer Djorovic, depends on his form, he hasn't played for a long time of course.
We just have to win this, not the possibility of a title is at stake here, it's our 3rd place in the league that we might lose to Celta:(. Our form is going down...
Maybe Irureta should try Djalminha as a starter. Just so that Valerón gets a nice rest and comes on in the second half or when needed. Valerón is getting predictable I'm afraid:( and is given no space by the opponent defence to go through.

Man, it would be a perfect to get a confidence boost after these two disappointing performances in a row.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Difficult game, cause Mallorca are still battling relegation:eek:
But if the team is capable of forgetting the disappointment of tuesday, then they should be fine.
The real danger however... may be a complete lack of motivation. You know, you're 4 points back, the ChL dream has blown up all of a sudden... the team would be expected to be totally out of sorts.
I wonder if some unexpected starters might get fielded?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Capdevila might replace Romero. I'd field Makaay and bring on Pandiani later to keep Tristan completely rested for the most important match, field Djalminha, as I said before, to bring on Valerón later if needed. But Romero should play IMO. It depends on the club's priorities, CL or Liga, which one to put all the efforts on.

About the lack of motivation... the club is worried about it and Lendoiro has announced that a total amount of £20'000 will be shared among the players if they can win both Mallorca and Espanyol matches. I don't know if that will help much but it surely shows the importance of La Liga to our board.

Fernando Niño from Mallorca is suspended which is a bonus for us:cool:.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
game preview from soccerage...

Liga Preview: Deportivo-Mallorca
News Archive

Heavily Criticised...Diego Tristan (Allsport)
04/05/2002. BACKGROUND

In the last two matches Deportivo La Coruna's season has spectacularly turned to dust and they are now left with the prospect of having just the Copa del Rey to show for their efforts.

If last weekend's 1-1 draw at Real Sociedad was damaging, the 2-0 defeat at home to Manchester United in the Champions League was potentially fatal. Even without the services of the injured Roy Keane and suspended Paul Scholes, it would take a brave man to back the Galician's winning by two clear goals at Old Trafford next week. At the Riazor they produced a performance lacking in imagination against a United side so deadly on the counterattack. Juan Valeron, in particular, had a hugely disappointing game and was eventually substituted in favour of Brazilian trickster Djalminha.

It is difficult to have too much sympathy with coach Javier Irureta. Afterall, it was his decision to rest so many players for the 3-1 home defeat to Bayer Leverkusen which resulted in his side finishing second in the group, therefore forcing them to face one of the three seeded sides.

The dropped points at Sociedad left Depor four points off the title pace with just six games to play. With away matches coming up against Valencia and Betis as well as that final day tussle with Real Madrid, the chances of the Liga title look slim.

Mallorca currently sit in 15th place and while they look odds on to avoid the drop, it has been an uncomfortable season for everyone at the Son Moix. After last year's gargantuan achievement of finishing third, much was expected of the islanders but they have failed to deliver in a big way. The injury to Argentine playmaker Ariel Ibagaza was a huge blow and the club really failed to cope with the demands of Champions League and domestic competition. Much of the damage was done when they were trying to balance the two.

They still look good to avoid the Secunda division but they would hardly have chosen Valencia, Real Betis and Real Madrid as three of their final five opponents.

TEAM FORM GUIDE

Deportivo Last Six Matches: WWLWDL

The draw against Sociedad and the defeat to Man U have really cast a shadow over the Galicians' season. Prior to these two setbacks, they beat Arsenal, Osasuna and Tenerife, but suffered that 3-1 Champions League defeat to Bayer Leverkusen.

Mallorca Last Six Matches: LWWDLW

The three recent wins against Rayo, Osasuna and Espanyol have lifted the islanders out of the drop zone. However, a draw against Tenerife and a home defeat to Sociedad have kept them within three points of the bottom three.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Deportivo- Noureddine Naybet misses out through suspension so Enrique Romero is likely to step in. Goran Djorovic is another option after recovering from injury. If Romero assumes the central role, Juan Capdevila will fill in at left-back. Otherwise, Irureta's men should be unchanged from the side that lost at home to Manchester United.

PL- 4-2-3-1- Molina, Scaloni, César, Romero, Capdevila, Sergio, Mauro Silva, Víctor, Valerón, Fran, Diego Tristán

Mallorca- Sergio Kresic's men are likely to approach the game in a cautious manner, with five across the back. Vicente Engonga returns to the squad after recovering from injury, but Ariel Ibagaza will again have to settle for a place on the bench.

PL- 5-3-2- Leo Franco, Olaizola, Marcos, Nadal, Siviero, Miquel Soler, Julio Robles, Francisco Soler, Paunovic, Eto'o, Luque

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Diego Tristan (Deportivo)- the Spanish international has had his fair share of critics this week after his appallingly late tackle on David Beckham. However, despite this and his failure to score in midweek
he remains his side's most potent attacking weapon alongside Juan Valeron.

Samuel Eto'o (Mallorca)- the Cameroon striker is vitally important for club and country. Although his disciplinary record could be called into question, his ability as a centre-forward at the highest level cannot. He's been linked with a move to Rangers this week, but whether he'd fancy the move, remains to be seen.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

Depor to edge a victory.

Deportivo Win 40%
Draw 35%
Mallorca Win 25%

·
Registered
966 Posts
Depor crushes poor Mallorca

Deportivo 5-0 Mallorca

Hat-trick of Tristán... I can't believe he's leaving, you won't find a replacement as good as him:(

·
Registered
281 Posts
superb....well IF, and I underline, "IF", Tristan leaves i do think we need a replacement, Makaay and Pandiani are gr8 players, but it could happen that they both get injured, and then it would be...? ....Helder as Striker? *horrible tought*

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hélder will leave the club before Tristán anyway (IF Tristán leaves), his contract ends, still I think he shouldn't go for nothing.

Anyway, magnificent performance yesterday, I really didn't think we could manage that:eek:. A 2-0 would have been enough for me:D. That is not our style, Tristán did it himself practically. Tristán, the new top goalscorer, was involved in every goal we scored that day:strong:. Great performance, he hit a hattrick and gave assists to Victor and Sergio to score:dazed:. First Tristán's goal came from Victor's pass, second one from Fran's pass through and third from Valerón's cross. Victor's goal was all his work too :star:. I don't know about Mauro Silva and César's slight injuries though:(, they just have to play on Wednesday.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SuperPauleta said:
Romero played next to César?
Yes, in central defence. It looked like this before of César's slight injury and before Héctor came on to replace him:
SCALONI--------CÉSAR---------ROMERO---------CAPDEVILA

·
Registered
281 Posts
so in the defence line at the end there was 3 defensive wingers and one "temporary" defensive midfielder :dielaugh:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But it worked, eh? And that's all that matters.
Who of them is a temporary defensive midfielder? They were all wingers in the end !:dielaugh:

·
Registered
281 Posts
well...i guess i just said it out wrong....Scaloni is really a Midfielder....not really a defender, but still....

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder that myself- how did we manage to do this great job when we only had wingbacks in defence most of the game:D.

I think Scaloni should be considered as a defender already, he's so used to that position, he's also great at his old position still, I'm sure but at the moment he's just a defender.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts