Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Athletic faces Espanyol with Prieto sanctioned and Del Horno and Urzaiz injured. Now I ask myself why did Isma play in Lanzarote half an hour injured...:rolleyes: Yeste has been doubt until the last moment but he´s finally on the list. Tamudo, Serrano and Fredson are out for Espanyol so we are tied on that aspect.

The surprise of Valverde´s list has been Bilbao Athletic´s striker Fernando Llorente who enters in the list for the first time (he will wear nº32). And it´s a greater surprise since Gorka Azkorra has been left out of the list, which makes me ask myself why the hell is he on the first team, he should be loaned if the coach doesnt count with him. Anyway, I hope Llorente has an opportunity to demonstrate his class. Also mention that Lacruz makes it in the league for the first time in the season and also Javi González finally enters after a long injury. Mention Karanka is out of the list,:cool: normal, on Wednesday he demonstrated he doesn´t have level even for Segunda B, how he was outplayed by Alejandro was pathetic, as often.

This is the complete list:

Goalkeepers:
Aranzubia and Lafuente.

Defenders:
Iraola, Casas, Lacruz, Murillo, Javi González.

Midfielders:
Gurpegi, Tiko, Orbaiz, Solabarrieta, Guerrero, Jonan, Yeste.

Attackers:
Ezquerro, Arriaga, Etxeberria, Llorente.

Taking in mind how well we´re doing home, I would just change the obligatory, position by position. That way Lacruz would enter for Prieto, Casas for Del Horno and Llorente for Urzaiz. But I don´t think Lacruz will play as starter in his first game after 8 months, so probably Gurpegi will play in the defense and Tiko will make the lineup in the midfield. It will also be interesting to see if Llorente is given a chance as starter or Ezquerro plays there and Arriaga on the left. I vote for Llorente since Arriaga has had many chances this season and keeps on doing horrible, plus I don´t like Ezquerro as lonely striker.

Therefore this is the probable lineup:

.................Aranzubia

Iraola.....Murillo....Gurpegi.....Casas

.............Tiko.....Orbaiz

Etxeberria......Yeste......Ezquerro(Arriaga)

.................Llorente(Ezquerro)

I hope we continue our good run against Lotina´s Espanyol, it will be difficult but we have 2 games home (Espanyol and Osasuna) if we win both we will make a good jump in the table, something necessary with the hard months we´re going to face after this.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
True, if we want to qualify for the UEFA Cup via the league, these games are vital as we're poor in our away-games so far.

Why should we field Llorente as he's in the squad for the first time?
Isn't it a better idea to start with Arriaga and Ezquerro as they've got much more experience compared to Llorente? We also can't play him as a subtitute later on...
And what about Arriaga as a striker? That's no option?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In San Mamés we play with a 4-2-3-1, and for this system you need a tall strong striker (target man is called right?) who can win air balls and can fix the markers so the second line forwards (Etxebe, Yeste, Ezquerro) can have more spaces. Ezquerro can do that job if necessary but as I´ve said in the past I don´t like him in that position, he shines more in the wing or as forward in a counter attack 4-4-2, that´s why I think Llorente should be the chosen one for this game, he can do that job and has a bright future. Arriaga can´t play as lonely striker in this system, he´s short and weak, he could only play as forward in a 4-4-2, as he did in Bilbao Athletic patnering Aduriz. But I´ve never seen Valverde using a striker and a forward, he uses only one striker (Urzaiz, home games) or 2 forwards (Etxebe, Ezquerro, away games).

So there are 2 options if Llorente doesn´t play. Or we play with the away system with Etxebe and Ezquerro up front, with Iraola and Yeste on the wings. (Very difficult, since we never play counter attack in San Mamés). Or we play with Ezquerro as striker and Arriaga on the left. But Arriaga has had many chances this season in that position (not his natural one)and he´s playing bad, I think other player deserves a chance, and that could be Llorente, we´ll see.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirmed, the 19 years old striker Fernando Llorente will make his debut as lion today as starter. Sorte on Fernando!

This is the confirmed lineup, the one I predicted::cool:

..................Aranzubia

Iraola......Murillo.....Gurpegi.....Casas

...............Tiko.....Orbaiz

Etxeberria.......Yeste........Ezquerro

..................Llorente

Lafuente, Lacruz, Javi González, Solabarrieta, Jonan, Guerrero and Arriaga will be in the bench.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Txupa said:
In San Mamés we play with a 4-2-3-1, and for this system you need a tall strong striker (target man is called right?) who can win air balls and can fix the markers so the second line forwards (Etxebe, Yeste, Ezquerro) can have more spaces. Ezquerro can do that job if necessary but as I´ve said in the past I don´t like him in that position, he shines more in the wing or as forward in a counter attack 4-4-2, that´s why I think Llorente should be the chosen one for this game, he can do that job and has a bright future. Arriaga can´t play as lonely striker in this system, he´s short and weak, he could only play as forward in a 4-4-2, as he did in Bilbao Athletic patnering Aduriz. But I´ve never seen Valverde using a striker and a forward, he uses only one striker (Urzaiz, home games) or 2 forwards (Etxebe, Ezquerro, away games).

So there are 2 options if Llorente doesn´t play. Or we play with the away system with Etxebe and Ezquerro up front, with Iraola and Yeste on the wings. (Very difficult, since we never play counter attack in San Mamés). Or we play with Ezquerro as striker and Arriaga on the left. But Arriaga has had many chances this season in that position (not his natural one)and he´s playing bad, I think other player deserves a chance, and that could be Llorente, we´ll see.
Yeah I got it... good luck to Llorente then!

About Arriaga, his natural position is not the wing, but he also can't be played as a striker in our 'home games system', so the only option he could be played in his natural position should be in our 'away game system' as a partner of Etxebe/Ezquerro?
Doesn't seem to be a bright future for him at Athletic then...

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Athletic 1-1 Espanyol
1-0 Yeste 3'
1-1 Maxi 32'

Good game by Athletic, against a very good rival, we had the control of the game and many chances but sometimes Kameni, sometimes their defense, sometimes the ref and sometimes wrong decissions didnt let us win a game that should have been ours.

But probably the most important thing of todays game is that San Mames have seen who (lets hope) will take Isma Urzaiz's place. Todays man of the match was without any doubt Fernando Llorente. He had chances of all the colors; just after Yeste scored he dribbled 2 defenders by speed and kicked the ball, fantastically responded by a superb Kameni today. He had 3 clear chances in headers in corners; one out, other well saved by Kameni and other saved in the line by Ibarra when everyone was screaming Goal. And he even received a penalty from Soldevilla the ref didnt see. (very bad this muñiz fernandez guy).:mad:

The kid is fantastic with the head, as demonstrates his chances in the cornes, he also won every single ball to no other but Lopo, an expert on that, the man that didn't let Urzaiz touch a single air ball last season, actually Espanyol has a fantastic defense. Not only that but he's also fast and has a great dribbling, not bad for his 1'93. We have to calm a bit the euphoria, it's only a game, we've seen other players with great debuts that ended in nothing (Gontzal Suances comes to my head) but I can't wait to see what Fernando is capable of once he gets Primera's rythm (was very tired at the end).

About the rest, the team was well, the defense very good maybe except Iraola (now that Javi Glez is back he needs a rest), also Etxebe and Tiko weren't too good but the rest played very well.

Mention Lacruz played his first minutes this season, he did well although it's clear he needs to get the rythm, anyway, he'll be a great addition to the team, hopefully we won't see Karanka again this season.:eek:

On Espanyol let me mention De La Peña, his pass to Amavisca in their goal is simply brilliant. And let me mention Lotina, who's doing an amazing job with this team.

1 - Athletic Club: Aranzubia; Iraola, Murillo, Gurpegui, Casas; Orbaiz, Tiko (Lacruz, min.57); Etxeberria (Guerrero, min.85), Yeste, Ezquerro; y Llorente.

1 - RCD Espanyol: Kameni; Ibarra, Lopo, Pochettino, David García; Ito (Morales, min.89), De la Peña; Coro (Soldevilla, min.31), Maxi, Amavisca (Posse, min.74); y Jonathan.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knoert said:
About Arriaga, his natural position is not the wing, but he also can't be played as a striker in our 'home games system', so the only option he could be played in his natural position should be in our 'away game system' as a partner of Etxebe/Ezquerro?
Doesn't seem to be a bright future for him at Athletic then...
You are right, it looks as if he can't find his place. Actually in his first season, with Heynckens, he played very well on the wing, but unfortunately last season his progression stopped and this one it has decreased.

I think his natural position is in a 4-4-2, next to a strong striker, as he played in the B team with Aduriz scoring many goals. Something similar to the Kovacevic-Nihat partnership in Erreala. But Valverde doesn't seem to like that system so he has to find other place, he isn't as good to change the system just for him. So as you say, right now I only see him as Etxebe or Ezquerro backup for away games, he better wakes up or he'll have to be loaned next season to find "his place".

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
1-1, mixed feelings, Espanyol is higher in the table so actually it's not that bad, but it makes it worse that we should have won and had the best chances :(.

Good to hear Llorente did well, hopefully it's not accidentally but he can continue this!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts