Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Athletic Club -> 15th W4 D3 L7. 15 points. 17 scored, 20 conceded. Top Scorer: Urzáiz 8 goals
Atlético -> 6th W6 D4 L4. 22 points. 17 scored, 12 conceded. Top Scorer: F Torres 7 goals

Last League Meeting: Athletic 3 Atlético 4 (F Torres 2, Ibagaza, De Los Santos)

Probable Starting XI
25 L Franco [14 matches, 12 goals conceded]
_2 Velasco [8 matches]
21 Perea [13 matches]
22 Pablo [13 matches, 2 goals]
12 Sergi [12 matches]
18 Ibagaza [8 (1) matches, 1 goal]
_4 Colsa [5 (6) matches, 2 goals]
23 Luccin [8 (2) matches]
_3 A López [7 (2) matches]
19 S Ballesta [4 (7) matches, 3 goals]
_9 F Torres [14 matches, 7 goals]

Probable Subs
27 Cuéllar 5 García Calvo 6 Santi 10 Jorge 15 Aguilera 17 Nano 28 Braulio 29 R Medina

Banned
7 Sosa

Out of the Squad
1 Aragoneses
8 Musampa 14 Simeone 20 Paunovic 24 Novo 26 Molinero 30 Jacobo

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Athletic Bilbao v Atlético Madrid: Preview

It is a common excuse to hide behind injuries but the fact remains that Atletico Madrid boss Cesar Ferrando has not been able to name the same starting XI for more than two consecutive games all season.

Doubts remain over central defenders Pablo Ibanez and Luis Perea for the trip to Athletic Bilbao, as well as midfielders Peter Luccin and Ariel Ibagaza, while Marcelo Sosa is suspended.

"I would love it if people were able to name our starting XI from memory, but between injuries and suspensions we have not been able to," said Ferrando.

"Ibagaza and Luccin are two players who should carry a lot of weight in this team but they rarely get to play together because of their injuries.

"I wish the injuries would allow me to pick my ideal side but it has been very difficult so far.

"Pablo [Ibanez] says he can play but has not been able to train, while Perea will probably need a few more days yet.

"Luccin is training with the rest of the group again, and Ibagaza is getting better but is unlikely to play 90 minutes just yet."

But injuries do not cover the whole story.

Since joining in the summer, Ferrando has also been desperately searching for his best side, constantly trying different combinations in midfield, and varying between his preferred 4-2-3-1, and the 4-4-2 preferred by leading scorer and club talisman, Fernando Torres.

Last weekend's positive performance and 3-2 win over Osasuna has perhaps settled the issue in favour of including Salva Ballesta as a strike partner for Torres, in a 4-4-2, with Salva creating the first goal for Torres and scoring the second himself.

"Tomorrow we play Bilbao in San Mames and it is a good chance for us prove to everyone that we are a strong side," continued Ferrando.

"I love the atmosphere there, they have the second best set of fans in Spain, and a good team.

"I understand Torres has a good record against Bilbao [four goals in four games] so I hope it continues. It will also be a good game for Salva to start in as well."

While Atletico look to build on their sixth place to secure a spot in the European places ahead of the winter break, Ernesto Valverde is desperate to avoid his side sliding any closer to the relegation zone.

Like many teams trying to maintain a front in three competitions, the UEFA cup, Copa Del Rey and the league, Valverde's side are struggling to achieve consistency, and six consecutive away defeats have left them perilously close to the drop zone in 15th place.

"I don't think our position is as bad as the press make out," said Valverde.

"We are still in three competitions. In the cup we are still there when 12 Primera Liga teams have already gone. We are top of our UEFA group, and it is hard to do any better in our home form in the league.

"We must do better away from home in the league but that could be said about most teams. And we have achieved all this without bringing in any new players during the summer.

"Everyone is committed to rectifying the problem and as usual at home we will go all out for the win against Atletico."

Valverde looks likely to be able to use midfielder Francisco Yeste who was recovering from a knock this week, but will probably lose Aitor Karanka in defence.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Atheltic will win. The Basques have to close some mouths, they play at home, they're always overmotivated in big matches, while Atlético constantly fails away.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Apparently Guerrero will go to Atletico now according to Marca.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every streak will end one day ...

Today the "not winning" streak away HAS TO END!

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
If they want the not winning streak to end, then the defenders need to play rather than raise their hands, what a goofy goal they gave up for the 1-0:rolleyes:

Leo Franco made one of the best saves I have seen in my life in the 1st half, you have to see it to believe it. He is completely out of position, the ball is hammered into the net after it has crossed the mouth of the goal and he dives back and deflects a ball that was in to a corner. Just amazing.

·
40,147 Posts
Pathetic again... I don't know what to say. Atlético is just a poor team out of the Calderon and I can't find any reason for it.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
atletico deserved a point at least but athletic wanted the 3 points more!!
franco did an incredible save,great reflexe!! :thmbup:
the referee's assistant was really blind both urzaiz and del horno were clearly offside in the goal!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
barça said:
If they want the not winning streak to end, then the defenders need to play rather than raise their hands, what a goofy goal they gave up for the 1-0:rolleyes:

Leo Franco made one of the best saves I have seen in my life in the 1st half, you have to see it to believe it. He is completely out of position, the ball is hammered into the net after it has crossed the mouth of the goal and he dives back and deflects a ball that was in to a corner. Just amazing.
a) the goal was offside 3 players!!! I don't blame the referee, BUT YOU HAVE TO SEE IT ... there is a stat that Atlético is the team with the most wrong decissions against this season! (important decissions)

b) Francos save !!!
http://usuarios.lycos.es/fenermania/videos/leofranco.htm

·
40,147 Posts
Husky, I understand your frustration, besides there was a penalty on Salva in the second half that wasn't punished... so probably a draw would have been more fair. In any case, Atlético's lack of personality away is really big.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't wanted to talk about penaltys, because this sesason we deserved more than 5 up to 10 penaltys more ...

But I don't care anymore ... Our behavior away is what I care most!

Husky

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Husky, thanks for posting the pic, I must admit that I watched on TV variuos times and thought that Del Horno was on, but from the pic it looks as if he was off. The linesman does not car about the others as they were not really on the play. (although Urzaiz does look like he wants to play the ball for a minute) Bottom line is that the defenders have to continue and try to play the ball, rather than raise their hands.

It was an Atletico without passion and they didn't get any benefits on calls.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
manzano needs finding a way to play better in other team pitches.......we always lose from away Calderon !

torres should have penalty too this game

aupa atleti !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts