Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not think that I could ever say this: we will miss Doni. Or at least, we will miss the Doni who played the second half vs Parma. Now Novelino will probably confirm the crappy starting lineup with 4-side backs-4. The hope is that at least Diana and Bazzani will wake up cause otherwise our only hope are the solidity of the defensive wall and Flachi.
The hope is also that the trio Totti-Cassano-Montella won't hurt us too much.

The game will be on Sunday night 8.30 PM Italian time.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
4-0 against siena. This will be hard to win i think, roma should be full of confidence, but thats what they said about Parma. I think its gonna be a mad match. I dont think roma will win by a lot, but i think samp can draw and possibly win. When i see totti, montella and cassano, i think two things...1. we are stuffed and 2. If montella scores the winner i will be annoyed. But i am optimistic on this game, i think its there for both teams to win.

·
Registered
46,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also optimistic... and this is a good reason to be pessimistic. :D
Here is the table with the clubs we must watch if our target is the qualification to the European competitions:

Juventus 32
Milan 28
bye bye... they belong to another championship

here is our championship:
Udinese 22
Palermo 18
Inter 17
Sampdoria 17
Roma 16
Fiorentina 16

Forget Cagliari, Messina, Lecce, Chievo, Lazio etc. unless we are as well going nowhere.

I think that we can come out of Olimpico with a dirty 0-0 and that would be precious.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Serie A Week 14 - 5/12/04 (20.30)
Roma - Sampdoria

Stadio Olimpico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sampdoria may be one point better off than Roma but it’s the Giallorossi who look the more likely to win at the Stadio Olimpico. Although the capital outfit did lose four games on the trot, they returned with a 4-0 trouncing of Siena in Week 13 when Antonio Cassano set up all four of his side’s goals.

That victory also seemed to underline that boss Gigi Del Neri has finally figured out how Cassano, Francesco Totti and Vincenzo Montella can co-exist in the same side. Roma are now using 3-4-3 tactics which may aid them in their quest to finish the campaign in the top four at the very least.

The tactician will still be without the injured Chivu, Dacourt, Tommasi, Mexes and Mido. Meanwhile, star midfielder Daniele De Rossi will not feature after he picked up a yellow card at Siena and is subsequently suspended.

Samp won their first game for a month when they beat Parma with a very late penalty from Francesco Flachi last week. That was the club’s first goal after going four matches without rippling the net. They may struggle on Sunday again as creative ace Cristiano Doni is suspended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma (probable): Pelizzoli; Panucci, Dellas, Ferrari; Mancini, Perrotta, Aquilani, Cufre; Totti, Montella, Cassano

Sampdoria (probable): SAntonioli; Zenoni, Falcone, Pavan, Pisano; Diana, Volpi, Palombo, Tonetto; Flachi, Bazzani

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Good luck, guys. Should be a good match with a lot of Italians on the pitch.

·
Registered
46,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both Totti (thigh) and Cassano (ankle, after a tackle with Dellas) got injured today during the training. According to Gazzetta Totti should recover while Cassano is doubtful for Sunday night.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Roma duo to face Samp Thursday 2 December, 2004

Francesco Totti and Antonio Cassano should be able to face Sampdoria after suffering injury scares.

The Roman duo both failed to finish training today after picking up injuries during a practice match.

Totti was helped off the field of play as he collected a slight knock but tests have confirmed no serious problems.

While there was real panic regarding Cassano, after he was on the receiving end of a Traianos Dellas tackle.

The Italian international was stretchered off the pitch but he’s only suffered a minor twist of the ankle.

Although both men are expected to recover in time for Sunday night, boss Gigi Del Neri does have other worries.

Key defender Christian Panucci is a doubt following the recurrence of his Achilles’ tendon problem.

Midfielder Simone Perrotta is also struggling with a slight muscle strain, while Olivier Dacourt, Philippe Mexes and Mido remain on the treatment table.

Meanwhile, Juventus may be without star man Pavel Nedved for their weekend game against Lazio.

The Czech ace didn’t train with the rest of his teammates on Thursday and could be replaced by the young Ruben Olivera.

channel4

·
Registered
823 Posts
Of course, we too could have had three or four top class strikers in our team had we not paid our taxes like Roma and Lazio (and others) did throughout the nineties.

:howler:

·
Registered
46,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The referee is the worst possible: Tombolini. This guy is a disaster, a calamity, pure crap, the most controversial in the current roster of referees.

Totti and Cassano yesterday did not train, but Totti will play, while Cassano is still doubtful. The coach Del Neri will adopt the 3-4-3 formation: Pelizzoli - Panucci, Dellas, Ferrari - Mancini, Perrotta, Aquilani, Cufrè - Totti, Montella, Cassano (M.Delvecchio)

·
Registered
46,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Novellino: "It's their attack against our defense".

Understood? Whoever is busy on Sunday night and thinks: "Why can't I see Roma-Sampdoria?!" must consider the words of Novellino.
This is what he is going to miss probably:

A bunker called Sampdoria.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If thats his attitude then we are going to loose, play defence??? our defence is lazy and crap

·
Registered
46,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Light injury for Pavan (thigh), who could be replaced by Castellini (once more, I hope Castellini won't join Bologna in January cause I'm sure that one day after he leaves, both Pavan and Falcone get injured and we play with Sacchetti and Carrozzieri in the middle of the defense :eek: )
Diana will be in the starting lineup.

As regrds Roma: Totti has recovered from the injury and Cassano could also be ready for the game. :wallbang:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Novellino respects Roma Saturday 4 December, 2004

Walter Novellino is not fooled by Roma’s poor performances this season and insists they are among the best sides in Italy.

“This will be a very difficult game against one of the greatest outfits in Serie A,” said the Sampdoria Coach ahead of Sunday’s evening fixture.

“The Giallorossi may have had a tricky start to the campaign, but they appear to be on the road to recovery.”

Gigi Del Neri’s new 3-4-3 system worked wonders with a 4-0 demolition of Siena last week, but they have injury worries with Antonio Cassano battling to recover from a bruised ankle.

Despite this praise, the Sampdoria tactician is also looking to Udinese’s recent 3-0 victory at the Stadio Olimpico for inspiration.

“We are going to the Capital with respect for our opponents,” concluded Novellino, “but also aware that we have a few aces up our sleeves. Our defence has been very solid so far this season and that will be able to challenge Roma’s fantastic strike force.”

There are changes in midfield due to the one-match ban for Cristiano Doni, while former Roma Francesco Antonioli starts in goal.

Sampdoria squad:

Gk: Antonioli, Turci

D: Carrozzieri, Castellini, Falcone, Pavan, Pisano, Sacchetti, Tonetto, Zenoni

M: Diana, Donadel, Edusei, Pagano, Palombo, Volpi

F: Bazzani, Flachi, Kutuzov, Rossini

channel4

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
It's over 1-1 (Pagano, Totti PK). Fantastic match :shades:

·
Registered
59,827 Posts
Bazzani was really stupid to commit that foul on Dellas for the penalty. Flachi could've won it at the very end but his rocket hit the crossbar.

A good game for Samp, particularly for the backline and Antonioli. :star:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts