Vitor Baia
Paulo Sousa
Jorge Costa
Paulo Bento
Joao Pinto
Pedro Barbosa
Sa Pinto

?????
Fernando Couto ( Gut Feeling he wants to be at Euro2004 )
Luis Figo ( Like wise )
Rui Costa ( Like Wise )

FUTURE UNCERTAIN
Abel Xavier
Beto
Quim

PLAYERS TO BUILD ON FOR THE FUTURE
Ricardo
Jorge Andrade
Rui Jorge
Pauleta
Conceicao
Nuno Gomes
Frechaut
Petit

ENTER the NEW GENERATION
Simao Sabrosa
Hugo Viana
Ricardo Quaresma
Paulo Costa
Makukula
Ednilson
Helder Postiga
Tonel
Jorge Ribeiro
Serge Leite

& The Coach
Tough Call.................. Does Coelho have a job yet ??????????
Oliveira made huge mistakes during this WC !! He has to go !!

See less See more
#3 ·
Oliveira is gone now LONG gone thank god. I hope Quim will be back if we had him between the pipes these 3 matches could have been easier for us. I think the sparks will be out of Figo by then. I think Simao Sabrosa is the future captain of our team, just pure raw talent I see in him. Also, Gomes should be at Euro 2004 for certain. Conceicao will become very powerful in deed. I actually felt doubtfull about Euro because we didnt have any young players(most almost in 30s) but after seeing that post it sort of put me back in perspective. Hopefully the home advantage will put us into full swing for 2006(Germany) as well.

#4 ·
new coach...for the love of god...go with a foreigner.

Only a foreigner can select a national team free of the "biases" that all Portuguese coaches have. Don't deny it, it's a fact.

How about Bora Bora the miracle man? He just quit the Chinese post....

However...something tells me....Manuel Jose will get the nod :(

#9 ·
what we need is someone along the lines of a disciplined german, who wont let crybabies like Joao Pinto run their mouths, and keep everyone in line. we have so much talent, but we ruin it with politics and big mouths, and everyone thinks they are a god on the field.

#10 ·
I beleive who Lomes is reffering to Sir Bobby Robson, who I think would be a fantastic choice...my other pick would definatly be Jaime Pacheco....just look at the success he's had with Boavista, which, let's face it, doesn't exactly have a lot of stars on thier roster, just imagine what he could do with a team full of talent. Jaime Pacheco alsowouldn't play favourites, doesn't have any "friends" in the federation who he'd have to brown-nose, and would emphasize humility and physical conditioning.....

I love the idea of a foreign coach, but that could be a double edged sword, in that if he wasn't successful, our first excuse would be that he just didn't understand Portuguese football..:rolleyes: In any case, anything new is worth a try right now...

#11 ·
I don't have a suggestion for a coach, (though Coelho was a lot better than Oliveira), but I do have one comment which might not be a popular one.

Though England has had great success with a foreign coach, I don't want one for Portugal. I'm not suggesting that a foreign coach couldn't do well with our Seleccao. It's just a pride thing. I'd like to see their achievements come from an ALL Portuguese effort. For me, going outside of Portugal for the National team would taint the whole thing.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but that's the way I feel about it.

#12 ·
By the way Shinji, you've also made a point that I haven't seen anyone else mention, and which is very valid. We obviously didn't give the player's physical conditioning the attention it deserved. They were outrun by an American team that was on average older than us. They need to pay more attention to stamina and strength building.

#13 ·
OG BENFIQUISTA said:
Wheres Caneira??
I dont rate him , its as simple as that. I may be harsh , but from what I have seen of him, when his team is under the pump- he normally is the first to hide !!

#14 ·
I like waht Gus Hiddink has done with S.Korea, id take him in a heartbeat ova Olistinker.

Whoever it is needs to be a hardman for physical conditioning with our side, we looked weak and unfit compared to the energetic Koreans who had been placed on a strict conditioning regime by Gus.

#15 ·
OG BENFIQUISTA said:
Whoever it is needs to be a hardman for physical conditioning with our side, we looked weak and unfit compared to the energetic Koreans who had been placed on a strict conditioning regime by Gus.
Easier said than done. Can u imagine the presidents of the big 3 all agreeing to allow their players to train a little more with the national team coach (whoever it may be). I will not hold my breath on this one. Can u imagine the laughter out of Milan and Madrid if that bird Gilberto Madail asked Real and AC to release FIGO and RUI a little more to train with the team?

The Korean clubs were all in agreement with Gus and thus gave him access to the players much more. It also helps that the team is all players based in Korea or nearby Japan.

The fitness level of our players can't be boosted in a couple of weeks, it takes months of training...Gus had that opportunity.....

by the way, yes I would take Gus as the head coach ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

#17 ·
Guys, the Korean lkeague ended like in January or something, and 17 or 18 of their guys play in the K-League.

Are we going to do the same thing in Portugal?

Anyway, the Koreans are always faster than their opponents. This is not new. The difference was that they were more aggressive and frisky in their own country with their fans cheering them on.

It didn't hurt that they had help in the corridors of power.

#18 ·
Figo Rules said:

It didn't hurt that they had help in the corridors of power.
This has to be about the fifth time I have seen you refer to the FIFA fix. C.mon, Figo, you are just as bad as the players and all of the whiners in the FPF who believe a larger force was at work and the cause of Portugal's disaster.

Do you honestly think it was not the fault of the seleccao's coach and players??????

Give me a break. These guy were too worried about getting tax free prizes than they were about thier opponents.

Do you honestly think that JVP did not deserve a red and whatever else is coming his way? We are jsut fortunate that Couto was not thrown out of the game either for his stupid antics.

I am so sick and tired of reading about referees and FIFA and all this other BS.....Portugal lost....it was the fault of the coach and players. We have nobody else to blame.

#19 ·
selecao2002 said:

This has to be about the fifth time I have seen you refer to the FIFA fix. C.mon, Figo, you are just as bad as the players and all of the whiners in the FPF who believe a larger force was at work and the cause of Portugal's disaster.

Do you honestly think it was not the fault of the seleccao's coach and players??????

Give me a break. These guy were too worried about getting tax free prizes than they were about thier opponents.

Do you honestly think that JVP did not deserve a red and whatever else is coming his way? We are jsut fortunate that Couto was not thrown out of the game either for his stupid antics.

I am so sick and tired of reading about referees and FIFA and all this other BS.....Portugal lost....it was the fault of the coach and players. We have nobody else to blame.
My sentiments exactly...

We really gotta stop using this crutch that FIFA and the 'powers that be' are always trying to hold us back...that kind of mentality will only keep us down...

#20 ·
I agree with you guys and as yet have not made a single comment about the ref or Fifa...

but Ill say it this once that when I was watchen the game my gut feeling (despite making it easy for them) is that we were getting robbed and that Fifa wanted the home nation to get through.

Before JVP stupid lunge there was a tackle by a Korean on one of are players where he used two sliding feet to bring are man down - no action takin. JVP got send off then - fair enough.

Betos call to me was wrong an unnecessary, refs usually refrain from evicting a player (especially when the teams already down a man) unless its absolutely necessary, which it wasnt for that tackle where the Korean dove over Betos legs (still Oliveria should of taken him off) especially when he was oing to make two defensive subs.

I watched many games at the WC and many have been much worse in terms of bad tackles and rough play, but the refs refrain from ruing the spectecle. Look at todays game with Mexico and USA a few players could have been sent of but some sense was used by the ref (Peireira - did a good job except for missin the pk for Mexico) & waht about that game the other day when nearly every player on the field got booked but no-one got marched.

To me for a team to get a second man sent off it has to be well worth it and in our case it wasnt (lets not forget the aggressive stare the ref put on Beto early in the game, not that it matters).

As i said ill onlt say it once cause IT WAS THE COACHES AND PLAYERS FAULT we should have at least drawn but when u look at the context of the results, no one thought Poland would win and most thought portugal would do the business which meant the home nation would go packing - and by the refs performance it was my gut feelin that Fifa wanted the home nation to stay there for obvious reasons.

nuff said - its all **** anywasy, i always had a bad feelin bout this wc and im so phucken gald i didnt end up going there cause the it would be evn worse if thats possible.

G
#21 ·
To be honest i think the ref did want us to lose everything went against us but he was right to send Pinto off. I blame the coach. he uses the players all wrong. Why must we always be defending and not attacking. When Pinto was sent off we should have started going froward and putting the pressure on them but instead we tried to waste time for 90 mins and thats how an idiot plays.

#22 ·
I'll say for the hundredth time. We were nowhere near our best from the top to the bottom.
I'm pretty sure our water bottles were filled with hot water. Yes, every one screwed up.

I DON"T BELIEVE IN BLAMING THE VICTIM.

I've always supported AO but his use of subs confused me, as they did all of you. I still remember what happened the last time Oliveira left. Artur Jorge, any one? Ask sa Pinto how that worked out?

Having said all that I will not blame the victim. Do you realize that the players take this crap on the field with them. All the injustices at major points. From WC Qual in Nov 93 in Italy, to Sept 97 in Germany, to Euro 2002 and Friday.

This is why they snap. They expect this garbage beforehand because it keeps happening. Are we just cursed?

Yeah, Pereira did a good job; a good job for the U$A, I might add.
Any one notice how Wilmots had a goal disallowed against Brazil, which would have given them a 1-0 lead.

The officials have been so bad, I can't trust any of this crap, especially when it involves the U$A and the home team that paid for everything.

Well I'm outta here. By the time most of you are done the only people who will want to be involved with the NT will be JVP and AO.

#24 · (Edited)
first let me put in my 2 cents....

I have played soccer for 15 years and I have yet to see a home team in a tournament format not get the benefit of most calls....Everyone before this game new that against Korea, in Korea, calls were going to be biased...PERIOD...this was known...but this was not the sole reason for our exit of the WC....Joao Pinto probably deserved the red...against any other team and not in the WC this would have been called a strict yellow as it was nowhere near the goal...but nontheless i can accept the red because Joao is F'n idiot....but the second yellow to Beto was a poor call...I have never, ever seen a second player being sent off unless it was "horrible" tackle costing a goal or an "intent" to injure foul...PERIOD...there is noway in hell is Beto's second foul a yellow card....BUT...like I previously said it was expected to have the calls go against us....

why are our players golfing instead of playing in the WC???

1. we did not play like portugal...we could not string 2 passes together when it was needed. We needed to win and how did we play against Korea for the first 20 minutes???? like a scared team ranked 150th. we should have attacked them...we have the skill, we have the talent and we have the need to win...but no...we sit back and let the quick Koreans control the ball....GET THAT "Korea control the ball"...the one thing that we are supposed to be the best at and we don't do it....

but the biggest reason for our loss????? OLIVEIRA....Beto gets 1 yellow in the first....most of the calls are against us... i thought "Ok Oliveira is going to take beto off at the half and bring in Abel so we don't go another man down"....easy call....i thought...no, there was Beto in all his glory....suddenly...oops... foul on Beto, yellow card and now a red....we're down to 9 men....yippee....then...we are down two men and down 1 goal...whether we lose 1-0 or 10-0 is not the issue...we need to score...so what do we do???? we bring in two defensmen...Abel and Andrade...take off Pauleta....and leave rui costa on the bench????? does this make sense??? you need a goal and almost got it in the end, but take off 1 striker, 1 trinco and replace them with two defensemen???? why wasn't our attack made up of Nuno, Pauleta, figo, rui costa, conceicao??? we need to score for f*ck sakes...

so even though I feel there was some bias refing...this was expected....you know that Korea will get the benefit of the calls, but the problem is the game was still winnable with the calls against us, but we simply had no heart and no coaching....

by the way...it would have never come to this if our millionaire players played the way they were capable of....especially against the US who played well but could never beat Portugal if we played like we did in Euro and not like a bunch of Pimadonnas..

but now i am going to ask for some help here....as you all know i do not have access to Primeira liga games and therefore do not have the ability to watch our young kids play.... i want to know how it looks for our future Euro and WC teams....how will Viana, Quaresma, Leal, Sabrosa and the rest do against the world's best nations???? I want some honesty and not the patriotic cra p answers of "Viana is the next Rui Costa" or "Quaresma is the second coming of Figo" because we all know this is bull.....the reason i ask???? because this current squad killed me.....i had such expectations of a team with rui costa, figo, Conceicao etc etc, but needless to say it did not happen.....i'm saddened to realize that i may not see a team so great representing my Portugal....so if you guys can help me out that would be great....

sorry for the long post....it's just been hell for me...especially considering i'm married to italian.....and for those of you in Toronto you know what it's like being portuguese in Toronto during the WC....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.