Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
48,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very likely that the Pitbull is leaving Juve at the end of the season, maybe even in winter.And Barca needs to add some quality to midfield.Davids is not finished yet, he might have couple of good seasons left.IMO it's worth a try.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Well we need a guy in midfield to break up attacks and Motta isnt turning out to be the player of last season.

However im not too sure if Davids is really the player we need to be honest. His commitment is unquestionable but his tackling and efficiency is overrated. Though maybe for the moral of the team he should be considered.

Our right side has been lacking with Gabri there and Reizeger isnt good enough. I would like to see us snapping up Daniel before anyone else does if hes EU personally because the guy is pure class.

·
Registered
967 Posts
what is up with everybody who hates dutch players and then 5 minutes later wants to sign another :yuck: gerard is palying much better than in previous seasons and if we perform to the strengths of the squad why bother for a very over payed player?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I think Davids can be what we're looking for. No matter what his passport says, he is what we need.
1> This guy has pace
2> This guy is defensive
3> This guy rules the midfield

Now isn't that what we need?
The past years we never had a very good defensive midfielder, so he could just be what we need....

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Krijn said:
I think Davids can be what we're looking for. No matter what his passport says, he is what we need.
1> This guy has pace
2> This guy is defensive

The past years we never had a very good defensive midfielder, so he could just be what we need....
And when we had them, they weren't used properly (the name Petit pops into my mind :eek:)

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
tombaker66 said:
what is up with everybody who hates dutch players and then 5 minutes later wants to sign another :yuck: gerard is palying much better than in previous seasons and if we perform to the strengths of the squad why bother for a very over payed player?
Does it matter if the guy is dutch or not. If were comparing him to Gerard then theres no comparison. What we complete about is the second rate dutch weve been getting like Bronkhorst, The De Boers, Bogarde not the top ones like Cocu in his day, Nistlerooy.

1> This guy has pace
2> This guy is defensive

I dont know if hes really what we need. He isnt the type of defensive midfielder like Makelele who will break up your attacks successfully. Hes more prone to running forwards and trying to attack- which he doesnt hold much creativity in. As i say most of his tackles end up in fouls.

In Juve hes the second man in DMC to Tachinnardi i believe and he does the Xavi sort of role rather than the breaking up of attacks which were looking for. Unless we get Motta back to last season form Davids wont improve us too much.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
He's not a Vieira, no. But he isn't called "the pitbull" for nothing. He fights for every ball he can get. He COULD be what we need.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
He is what everybody (except Juve) needs. He is one of the best midfielders in the world and despite his colourful disciplinary record, will add to any team.

Fulham appear to be in the hunt for him aswell. van der Sar and Davids are friends appartantly. :rolleyes: Roma think he will go to them in the summer, but he has a choice of any team he likes, so I doubt he would pick Roma (or Fulham). :(

He could fix up Real's problems aswell now that Makelele has gone. Do you guys think he would choose Barca? :confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Raven said:
Fulham appear to be in the hunt for him aswell. van der Sar and Davids are friends appartantly. :rolleyes:
But in Barcelona he will have more friends from Holland NT...:howler:

If he will go to Barca i would be very happy. He is fantastic midfielder despite his hard tackles...We have 4 pivotes but none of them is so brave as Davids..Maybe Motta from last year. But for sure he is better than Gerard. Xavi isnt typical DM, he is more like a central midfielder. Marquez IMO is a central defender who could also play in defensiv midfielders zone, but best for him is the center of our defensiv.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
No, I don't want him. He's not a player for the future. If we have to buy a defensive midfielder, we need someone younger.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
But Koeman4, we need to think about the present.
With players that will be great in three years we won't win La Liga now. Which means we might lose out on CL (again). That is a big reason for some players NOT to sign for us, which means we'll be weaker and weaker.... and it's not like our youth department suddenly comes with a bunch of players that set the world alight....

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
He's one of the best defensive midfielders on the world.
Among the five best...

And it's a department where you have no one of that quality (some prospects, some good players, but nothing great really).

Rijkaard would never sub him, and by the way:
That should also be an important criteria for Barça when signing a player. Your recent experiences should show you that. No to give 20 million Dollars for a player that won't even have a chance.
And Rijkaard seems like the guy who do that sort of thing....
But not with Davids. ;)

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Elmundo report that weve offered Davids a 6 month contract. Good idea IMO as it acts as a trial period and then we can decide if to sign him for longer or instead go for a more defensively apt DMC like Emerson

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
It's laughable to discuss whether Davids is needed in this Barcelona side,i believe.

He's still one of the best five DM's in the world,his impact would be big and instant.

People like Gerrard,Xavi and i'm sad to say but Motta too,shouldn't be referred at all next to true world class players lMO

The problem is not about buying really top Dutch players,it's about having all the Dutch mediocrities in your squad.

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
should have had sold Motta when Milan wanted him. Could have had easily gotten 10 million for him. On the other hand we need to get rid of one of Xavi or Gerard. My bet would be on Gerard. Bring in a worldclass DM like Davids/Emerson/Baraja and pair him with Xavi. One of the kids from the B team can act as backup. Someone like Ramon Ros. If you need more experience draft in Gabri to the DM position. Im sure we could fill up the right wingback space easily without Gabri by having Reiziger who in my opinion is a superb athlete or someone from the B team again. So basically like this we cover up two major positions in the squad with inhouse solutions and in the process earn some money too. The favourable scenario would be :-

Out

Motta - 10 Million Euros (Im sure someone from the European scene would want him)
Gerard - 4/5 Million Euros (A side like Malaga or Mallorca could do wonders with him)

In

Edgar Davids - Free Transfer
OR
Emerson - 15 Million Euros

Its a win-win situation for us.

:) :)

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Edgar Davids has two faces. There indeed is the player that Krijn describes: a ruler onmidfield, fast, strong,.. a real pitbull. There however also is the Davids who is egocentric, overagressive and just plain stupid. Unfortunately I can not remember a game of him where I saw the first one. Lately Davids isn't even mediocre. He is just really really bad. A players that let's down his teammates and looses game all by himself.

So there is a big chance that Barca once again is buying a big name who has to be payed an enormous wage and who will make the team even more rotten as it already is. Davids is the personification (to me even the reason) of everything that went wrong the last 4 years in the overtalented squad that is the Dutch NT.

On the other hand if there is one person davids still listens to it is Rijkaard. If he gets Davids back ontrack he indeed could be the worldclass defensive midfielder Barca is seeking for soo long now.

However Rijkaard hasn't been able to put back Kluivert to a higher level as i hoped so my guess is that getting Davids could be another major mistake.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts