Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tottenham's Davids ponders Ajax return
tribalfootball.com - April 7, 2006

Tottenham midfielder Edgar Davids could end his stay at White Hart Lane after just one season.
The Daily Mail says the Dutchman is agonising over whether to stay with Spurs or return to former club Ajax in the summer.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well, we'd make a profit, as he's contracted for another year, and it'd mean we could play a more natural 4-4-2 system with a left winger.

That said, Carrick and Jenas haven't got the tenacity of a player like Davids, and his hair and glasses look cool.

If we don't get into Europe this one would seem a lot more likely.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updated: May 6, 2006
Davids considers return back to Netherlands

CHIGWELL, England, May 6 (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur's Dutch midfielder Edgar Davids is deciding whether to see out the final year of his contract or return to the Netherlands.

"It's a tough decision," the 33-year-old told reporters at the club's training ground. "I don't know yet. I'm happy here. It's a good environment and there are possibilities to do well."

The much-travelled Davids has been linked with a return to his first club Ajax Amsterdam, with whom he won the Champions League in 1995, but says he has enjoyed his first season in the Premier League with an improving young Spurs side.

"At the end of the day you maybe want to go home," added Davids. "The difficulty is that I like it here. I've got a year to go. I just have to chat with a couple of people."

"We have a great team with some players who will be really big in the future without a doubt."

Davids has been named in the Netherlands 33-man provisional World Cup squad but could be left out of Marco Van Basten's final 23-man squad for the tournament in Germany.

However, he has returned to form for Tottenham after an impressive start to the season that was hampered by injury.

"Edgar Davids was very good before Christmas, before his injury, and for the last three to four weeks and he's fully fit now," said Tottenham's Dutch manager Martin Jol.

Davids, who has featured in four major tournaments for the Netherlands and has played in four Champions League finals, was brought to the club by Jol for his experience.

"When I came here I said we wanted to finish higher than we did last year and I also said that we wanted to play in Europe," said the former AC Milan, Juventus and Barcelona midfielder.

"If we come fourth and Arsenal win the Champions League we will still play in Europe. Everybody wants to play in the Champions League because that's where it's all happening.

"If that has not happened we have to play in the UEFA Cup and that's not bad. It's still good for the progress of the players. You go abroad and compare your own style to others."

For Spurs to guarantee fourth place above Arsenal, who they lead by a point, and give themselves a chance of a Champions League place next season they must beat West Ham United, who face Liverpool in the FA Cup final, at Upton Park on Sunday.

"Of course, they (West Ham) have an eye on the cup final," said Davids. "It's huge. If we were in the same position we'd think about the final. It's always difficult when you play away, though, and now we have to win there so we'll see how it goes."

soccernet

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Davids unsure of Spurs stay
tribalfootball.com - May 7, 2006

Tottenham midfielder Edgar Davids admits he's unsure if he'll be at White Hart Lane next season.
He said: "I don't know what I will be doing next season. I am happy at the club and we have a great team. We have players who are going to be really big in the future.

"It is a tough decision for me because maybe you do want to go home. I will have to think about it. It is difficult because I really like it here. I still have a year left."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Ajax move for Tottenham's Davids
tribalfooball.com - July 27, 2006

Tottenham have ruled out selling Edgar Davids to Ajax.
The Dutchman was all set to return to his old club, but Michael Carrick's imminent move to Manchester United has forced Spurs to put a block on the deal.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spurs boss Jol: Davids rejected Ajax
tribalfooball.com - August 04, 2006

Edgar Davids has given Tottenham head coach Martin Jol a major boost by pledging his future to the club for a further year.
Davids has another season remaining on his current deal but the former Holland international was the subject of interest from Ajax during the summer.

But Jol has confirmed that Davids, 33, is to stay at Tottenham after rejecting the opportunity to go back home to his first club.

Jol said: "Ajax wanted him but he wanted to stay here. He has got another year, he wants to be at Spurs. He likes London, there is no issue. He has the mentality we need."

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
This is a great development for Spurs. We need a defender with his tenacity back there, someone who won't be intimidated in the slightest by any opponent! The younger players can learn from his example, and from his European competition experience as well.

I am glad to see the "Bulldog" stay on. :thumbsup:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8/4/2006 12:04 AM

Davids To Stay With Tottenham

Dutch midfielder Edgar Davids will stay with Tottenham for another season, manager Martin Jol has confirmed.

The former Juventus and Barcelona star had been strongly linked with a move to Ajax during the summer, but the 33-year-old has decided against returning to the club where he started his career.

Jol said: "Ajax wanted him but he wanted to stay here. He has got another year, he wants to be at Spurs. He likes London, there is no issue. He has the mentality we need."

goal.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts