Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was five years ago today the great man passed away after a long battle against non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

As Gooners know a trust in Rocky's name was established to aid in the fight against non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

davidrocastletrust.

RIP ROCKY

·
Registered
148 Posts
I remember the days of Rocky. Some of my earliest memorys are of him playing... and they are some of my earliest memorys of anything, not just football. A true testament to the man I beleive.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
By Richard Clarke

A young David Rocastle would have found a place in Arsène Wenger’s current Arsenal squad.

The midfielder, who died tragically five years ago from cancer, is being remembered at Saturday’s match with Aston Villa. It has been designated "David Rocastle Day" and funds raised will go towards the trust that bears his name. It is Arsenal’s charity of the season.

The silky midfielder left Highbury in 1992, four years before the current manager arrived. But, it appears, Wenger was already a fan.

“I know David Rocastle,” said the Frenchman. “I saw the Arsenal team play with him in it. He was the kind of player I like - tricky and creative.

“He would find a place with me. You always respond to the qualities the players show you. We would be very happy to have him now at 20 years of age.

“But unfortunately his career here stopped early and he died very, very early. I feel the Club is doing very well to help the family."

I see Rocky playing Wengerball very easily. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
R.I.P. Rocky!

He left Arsenal the year I was born so I never saw him live in an Arsenal shirt, although I remember him briefly at another club that is out of my head. Looking back on tapes, he was a top quality player and its a same that he died so young to a big killer.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Do not post another thing like that in this thread again - I will not have an you ruining a thread the remembers the great man and player that was David Rocastle.

Have some respect. Big deal if you don't like us, the proper yiddos who were at Highbury the day he died honoured him properly.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Never got to see Rocky in his Arsenal days. But seeing the videos of him and articles dedicated to him, made me proud of him being a gooner.

RIP Rocky, we'll always remember you.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Rocky was a pleasure to watch. A crowd pleaser who would attack the right hand side with flair, skill and strength. Along with Michael Thomas and Paul Davis they were known affectionately as the 3 Degrees.

It was a disaster it was to see him leave Arsenal for Leeds, he never wanted to leave and unfortunately his football career went backwards after that.

We will remember him for the magic he showed and his marauding runs, his name is often chanted at Highbury and will soon be chanted at the Emirates Stadium.

Rocky Rocastle an Arsenal legend RIP.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The night of Arsenals best night in Europe so far, our minds should go back to Rocky.

Rocky, you'll never be gone in our hearts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts