Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what type a player he is, just joined Manchester from you guys.

·
Administrator
52,991 Posts
Anybody know what type a player he is, just joined Manchester from you guys.
The kind that will piss away his sorry ass career like Lupoli did.

·
Registered
17,536 Posts
Not exactly the type of responses this guy was expecting i'm sure.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well you cant blame him... Man U is one of the biggest clubs in the world... and of course it will be an experience for him, whether good or bad. I didnt understand the reaction from some here... but anyway good luck to him... I am sad to see alot of talented Italians leave so young, because despite what some say, alot of them dont have success when they do this.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well you cant blame him... Man U is one of the biggest clubs in the world... and of course it will be an experience for him, whether good or bad. I didnt understand the reaction from some here... but anyway good luck to him... I am sad to see alot of talented Italians leave so young, because despite what some say, alot of them dont have success when they do this.
Deano, i dont believe u dont understand the reaction here.

Roma are one of the biggest clubs in the world, Man U just happens to be the richest...Roma in no way mishandled the situation, they offered him the maximum contract for a primavera player...and its not like the kid hasnt had examples of how Roma nurtures its own into the squad, if they're good enough...Man u are horrible poachers, taking advantage of archaic country laws that screw with the world of football..The simple fact is that hes more concerned with money, than improving his game to the point where he could be a starter for Roma. Hes too young to be so cynical. I hope he ends up like Pique...back home, with a lesson learnt.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Well i guess its just Man Utd taking advantage of a rule in Italy that does not protect their own clubs. Anyway i have never seen him play while i read he might be the new Totti so i really don't have any reaction to it. If he turns out to be the next Totti i guess that would be great for Italy but thats a long time and a lot of posts away.

·
Registered
32,718 Posts
Lupoli moved to Fiorentina simultaneously with Rossi moving to Villareal... and he played regularly at decent level at Derby.

Truth is, probably, that Lupoli's talent wasn't that great to begin with (just 20, though).

It would be wrong to think that a player's talent isn't nurtured well at Man United or Arsenal, imo.

Hundreds of young talented players are signed every year.

A few are Tottis, some are Cercis, and many are Corvias.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It would be wrong to think that a player's talent isn't nurtured well at Man United or Arsenal, imo.
But isnt that EXACTLY the case in the example you brought up of G. Rossi?

Rather than the failures, maybe u would care to point out some of the successes that Man Utd have had bringing up young talent into first team football? And I dont mean guys like Ronaldo who were purchased for millions, i mean guys like Petrucci who were purchased for thousands...

·
Registered
32,718 Posts
But isnt that EXACTLY the case in the example you brought up of G. Rossi?
Well... who knows (what he will be or what he would have been). Some people - including Osman whom my comment was directed at - seem to think he's actually soon-to-be a world class player.

Rather than the failures, maybe u would care to point out some of the successes that Man Utd have had bringing up young talent into first team football? And I dont mean guys like Ronaldo who were purchased for millions, i mean guys like Petrucci who were purchased for thousands...
Fletcher in the team, while Pique, G. Rossi and Kieran Richardson were sold for 8-10m euros turned out nice profits for Man U and are decent players in their own rights today.

Not to mention Giggs, Scholes and Beckham.

As for Arsenal (since Lupoli was the example I was commenting on) there's Cesc, Eboue, Clichy, Walcott, Senderos, Kolo Toure, Bendtner.

They aren't all world class players today, of course, but neither are Simonetta, Cerci, Corvia, Rosi, Raffaele Di Martino, G. D'Agostino, Bovo, Okaka...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well... who knows (what he will be or what he would have been). Some people - including Osman whom my comment was directed at - seem to think he's actually soon-to-be a world class player.
I actually agree that hes a soon-to-be world class player. My point is that G. Rossi only began to blossom when he left Man Utd for Parma..and his goals at Parma did more to justify his eventual pricetag to Villareal than his playing time at Utd ever did. At Villareal he has continued his development alongside his steady playing time on the field. Opportunities he would have never been granted at Utd.

Fletcher in the team, while Pique, G. Rossi and Kieran Richardson were sold for 8-10m euros turned out nice profits for Man U and are decent players in their own rights today
Good point, Fletcher, O'Shea and Wes Brown are Utd's current crop developed from their youth side, and can be viewed as having moderate success.

But as for Pique, the fact that hes returning to Barcelona does indicate that maybe life in Manchester isnt as easy as they young are led to believe. He struggled for playing time, which for a young footballer is the most important thing and is now looking back home for another try. It looks more and more that his time in Manchester was a failed experiment.

Richardson is an interesting point, as his pricetag is more indicative of the strength of the Utd hype machine, than a indication of his actual talent. The boy's horrible and absolutely does not merit that pricetag. This, above youth development, maybe one of Utds strong points. Hype + Popularity. The average Roma fan may know who Richardson is, but chances are teh average Man U fan may not know who Corvia is. Different exposures you see.

My beef isnt with Arsenal (who have a fantastic record for developing other clubs poached great talents), but more with Utd, who (getting back to the topic of Petrucci) are obviously not the best place to develop very young, very foreign talent.

The golden generation of Beckham, the Nevilles, Butt and Scholes was more than a decade ago. The world is different place now, in Rome and in Manchester.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well I dont blame Petrucci... if he wants to go to Man Utd then good luck to him... its not like Roma is the only blood one must have and that they must remain with them forever. The likelihood is that maybe 2% of Roma primavera players actually go on to play for Roma for a long time... alot of them end up in Serie C... maybe moving to Utd will give him good props... who knows?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
We got 250k euro for Petrucci. And on the discussion of being a romanista or not, another roman born player could have gone to Chelsea at 16 but didn´t. Today he´s worth 20-25 million euro and is part of the azzurri EC-team. Maybe he is more of a romanista then people give him credit for..

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Aquilani?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts