Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do u guys think of him? He's a really good manager. Just look at what he did at Leeds, and look at what he's doing at Villa. Angel is becoming the player he should have been 2 years ago and Villa are looking likely to make it into the UEFA cup.

I'd love to see DOL manage Ireland sometime down the line. Either him or Phil Babb

D

·
0 Posts
the trophyless irishman is a decidedly average manager, to spend as much money as he did at Leeds and win nothing shows a lack of quality on his part. Villa aren't looking likely to make it into anything except the intertwobob cup. Keep O'Leary well away from the irish job.

Angel was a better player under Gregory.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doc_Rule said:

Angel was a better player under Gregory.
Statements like this are the reason why is would put you in my búllshíters category.

DOL wasn't to blame for at Leeds. He was doing well with them. Ridsdale messed things up there. Leeds would have been grand if they had to have kept DOL.

D

·
0 Posts
doing well with them?? spent over £100million and won nothing!!!! how is that doing well?? couldn't even make CL, awful stuff. Leeds would not have been "grand", they'd prob have gone down last season.

Angel was brilliant under Gregory. One od the top 5 strikers in the league at the time.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Angel is playing great football now. Villa have one of the best home records in the EPL. He took Leeds to the CL semi. How long was he in the job for. He was building a team for the future.

You're head is so far up your arse Doc_Rule that is it hard to know the difference between the shít you are talking and the regular shít

D

·
0 Posts
never said Angel wasn't playing well, said he was better under gregory, which he was was.

he was at Leeds long enough. You don't spend £100+ on a team "for the future", nonsense statement.

CL semi's?? so what

you are a fair man to talk about bullshit given you started this thread and the phil babb one and claimed that Babb had been one of the best defenders in the world

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil Babb was one of the best defenders in the world at the time around 1994/95. "He was at Leeds long enough"??? Two years I think it was something like that. You are talking pure rubbish my man. Try watchin some football instead of reading up on footie stats

D

·
0 Posts
two years?? he was in charge of Leeds for 4 years!!

Phil Babb was never one of the best defenders in the world. In 94/95 he wasn't even one of the best defenders at Liverpool!

·
1st Tier Poster
48,609 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
he was at Leeds long enough. You don't spend £100+ on a team "for the future", nonsense statement.

CL semi's?? so what

Reaching CL semis was a fine achievement, a far greater one than winning FA cup or Worthless cup.O' Leary did a fine job at Leeds.Only thing I could blame him for was the failure to qualify to CL in his last season, which accelerated the financial downfall of the club.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bullshít Doc. Look at the teams you'd have to beat to get to the CL semi any year and look at the teams u'd have to beat to win the FA Cup. You cud get lucky in the FA cup and avoid playing the three teams that are capable of winning it.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Would you rather yor team get to the semi's of the CL or win the FA Cup ? FA Cup hands down IMO.Mise i have a feeling that you cant be serious, is it possible for someone to say this stuff about O'Leary and say Phil Babb was once one of the best defenders in the world without taking the piss? A Dominic Matteo is better than a Phil Babb in his prime.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You obviously weren't watching much footie around 1994. Just look at Phil's performaces in the world cup pal.

Is there actually any difference in winning the FA and the League cup really these days?

I'd rather see my team in the CL semi if i had the choice. As Roy Keane says, the FA Cup has lost it's significance.

D

·
0 Posts
WC 1994?? Paul McGrath carried Babb through that tournament. Babb was never even in the top 25 defenders in the world at any point during his career.

I gaurentee if you ask any player playing in England whether they would rather WIN the FA Cup or LOSE in the CL finals, they'd pick FA Cup every time.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe, but i doubt it. The thing is would you rather be a Leeds fan looking at your team playing (??? Valencia) in a CL semi thinking about the future and the progress made and who will u be playin next year or be a Southampton fan Vs Arsenal thinking "God we have been jammy cúnts this year"

D

·
0 Posts
Southampton didn't win the FA Cup. The year Leeds got to the semi's, we won the FA Cup if i'm not mistaken. Our cup win, was a greater achievement than losing a semi-final in the CL. Players and fans want their teams to win things, not lose in the semi-final.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know Southampton didn't win it ya numbnut. I'm talkin about how the fans would have felt b4 and during the game. Look what happened Valencia in Spain, progress in the CL took tht club forward and they are a well established power house in football now, with not much of a history.

I think Liverpool's current situation displays how much that FA cup did for yous. I think the FA Cup is an overrated competition, u only wanna talk about it if you're winning it.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Average manager like Robson, made more average by the fact they wasted loads of money.

Many clubs make the mistake of hiring designer managers like O Leary and Robson without really doing their homework. Playing at top level and managing is a different thing altogether. Very very very few players can make the transition. Deschamps is one of them, that's all I can think of and even so, I believe he has to get coaching badges and all those stuffs.

If O Leary wants to be a good manager, he has to start from somewhere lower to test his abilities. Most of the more successful managers tend to work their way through the ranks.

Still can't believe Risdale trust a managerial novice with more then a hundred million.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,609 Posts
I'd value CL semifinal higher than FA Cup title.CL is the biggest club competition in the world.Almost all the finest clubs in Europe participate there every year.Reaching to the last four in this competition is more difficult than winning the FA cup (look at Arsenal:tongue: ) But winning a trophy is obviously something special so it's understandable that many people prefer FA cup win to dropping out in CL semis .

·
1st Tier Poster
48,609 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:

Still can't believe Risdale trust a managerial novice with more then a hundred million.
Ridsdale and his financial advisors were all nuts. I don't know what they were hoping for when they overspent like this.After failing to qualify to CL the club sank like Titanic.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts