Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some info about David Mendes da Silva!

Is he still owned by Ajax?
And above all, how high do you rate him? Is he a player for a good European squad...or not?
And why has he failed in Ajax? Lack of talent? Experiance? Mental attitude?...

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
No, he was never owned by Ajax. We loaned him for 6 months, he never made his debute for the first team.
Because of that, I can't really rate him, I never watch games from the Gouden Gidsdivisie so I can't tell ya anything :eek:
Why did he fail at Ajax? Probably lack of talent as you said and he had some fierce competition with Galasek, De Jong, Yakubu...

I think he'll need some time with a subtop team like AZ, Utrecht, Twente before anyone can make a judgement on his capabilities to move on to foreign leagues.

So... why are you asking? :angel:

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Like Kluivert said: not good enough for Ajax. He's one of the bigger talents of the first division, but there still a big difference between performing there and at the highest level.

I think Mendes' roots from Capeverdia (spelling) made Drago ask.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, he has Cape Verdian roots. It is just curiosity...just my passion for African football (specially the lusophone part of Africa)

I presume that his exibitions for Sparta were very good! Afterall, Ajax did ask for his loan...
But why did Ajax ask for his loan? Were you having alot of injured/suspended players in defense or was just a wise measure to try to see how talented he was?

BTW, is he a center-back or a right-back (I saw some where that he could play as defensive miedfielder aswell)?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
He failed at Ajax because of injuries. When he was needed he got an injury and when he got back, all the competitors were back as well so he didn't get the chance to prove himself.

A

·
0 Posts
Story is a little more complicated.

David was a huge talent, when he made his debut for Sparta at the age of 17. Called the new Frank Rijkaard, he was one of the most important Sparta players.
But Sparta relegated that season, and in our second devision David could never reach the level he reached with Sparta in the 'eredivisie'. You should know that Ajax and Sparta have a good relation, and Ajax gave David a new chance for a fair price to Sparta. Sparta needed the money coz they were on the verge of bankrupcy.

David never was able to shine, even for our second team, and at the end he was sent back to Sparta.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
So now that Mendes is fully fit again, do you think he can reach that stage again that people like you will think that he's one of the biggest talents around? and that he might even return to Ajax with a vengeance some day ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts