Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this worths a new thread :howler:

after 4th place looking extremely difficult, to cope with the financial losses, Arsenal have decided to buy the biggest marketer football in the footballing world....absolute genius ;)

----------------------

ARSENAL NEWS REVIEW
Beckham to Arsenal, Ballack to Chelski
By Myles Palmer

WILL ARSENE SIGN A SUPERSTAR?

Yes. I reckon he will sign a friend of Mr & Mrs Thierry Henry. He is a quarterback who can whip long passes and crosses round that big pitch. Arsene could give him the No. 10 shirt, but he would be playing mostly on the right flank. A London boy who would love to play for a London club, he lives in Hertfordshire, about six miles from Colney. He has been playing in a team of old men and would love to play in a team of young men. He needs that.

Florentino Perez quit as Real Madrid president last night.The man who pinched Anelka and tried to nick Vieira now admits that his club needs a change of direction. Perez is right about that. So David Beckham will come home.Superstars often move after World Cups. Ronaldo left Inter in 2002 and Ballack and Beckham will move this summer. The Sun says Ballack to Chelsea but Ballack is too similar to Lampard.

WHY INTERVIEW YOURSELF?

Brevity ! I'll keep this short because I'll interrupt myself before I start to ramble. I'm become fed up saying the same things over and over. I sound like a broken record.

DID YOU WATCH BLACKBURN ON FOOTBALL FIRST?

Yes, but only the first half. Then at 10.35 I switched over to Match of the Day, which had shorter highlights. Blackburn fouled 23 times and the first foul was 10 seconds. The ref let bad fouls go but booked Lehmann for nothing. Steven Reid walked in front of him when he had the ball in his hands, just to provoke that reaction. All teams wind Lehmann up by doing that.The ref should enforce the laws of the game.The laws of the game are there to protect the game. Not the players, not the match - the game itself, the sport of football that we all love, or used to love.

THE PEDERSEN GOAL?

Arsenal still can't defend a throw-in. Lucas Neill takes the throw 30 yards back into the Blackburn half. He takes it almost level with the edge of their penalty area ! He throws the ball down the line and it's headed on by Sinama-Pongolle, beating Gilberto, and Flamini has gone AWOL, and Senderos is outpaced and tricked by Bellamy, as you would expect, and Toure loses his bearings.

Defending is about angles and good habits. If you wrote a textbook titled How Not to Defend, that goal would be in Chapter 1.And Chapters 2, 3 and 4 would be filled by many other goals conceded down Arsenal's left flank over the past six years. Yes, Arsenal missed three chances in the second half. On Thierry Henry, Alan Hansen said, "He's making it easy for back fours he's playing against." But I'm a big-picture man, a philosopher. I look forward to a time when Arsenal will be able to defend a throw-in.

HAS FOURTH PLACE GONE NOW?

Yes.

WILL THIS SQUAD BE WORLD-BEATERS IN 2008?

Not without signing three experienced players.

CAN ARSENAL AFFORD TO BE OUT OF THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOR TWO YEARS?

No, but one year will be OK. You have to get it right in the league.

WILL THIERRY STAY?

Yes.

SO YOU DON'T GET BENT OUT OF SHAPE BY FOOTBALL NOW?

Somewhere in the Nineties I stopped doing that. I could still be neurotic about results, I could stress about the next 11 Arsenal matches, but I won't. Every fan will have their own views about March, April and May. I looked at the fixtures on Saturday night and counted up the wins I expect - and Arsenal got 60 points. They seem to have been stuck on 41 points for a long time. Spurs draw matches, Arsenal don't. Spurs have drawn 10 games, Arsenal five, so Spurs are five points ahead. Last season Everton won six away games and got 61 points and finished 4th

DID YOU WATCH THE CARLING CUP FINAL?

I thought it would be 2-1 or 3-1 to Man United, but I hoped Wigan would win 3-2. So I had a bet on more than 2.5 goals. Last week I was talking to Nigel Bidmead and asked him what our pal Joe Bernstein was up to and Nigel said Joe was doing fine, he'd had some good stories in the Mail on Sunday. Lo and behold, Joe had the backpage lead : Van Nistelrooy has been dropped! If true, it's a great story. If true, it's a good call by Fergie because it give shim a third striker with pace. So I switched on to see if Joe's story was true and it was. Rooney bounced a header off the bar, scored a while later, Saha scored one and set up Ronaldo for 3-0, and Rooney made it 4-0 with a Gerd Muller "little goal". Nothing went right for Wigan after keeper Mike Pollitt did his hamstring after 3 minutes.

D0 FOOTBALL RESULTS MATTER?

Yes, but other things matter more. Like close relationships, love, friendship, family life, music, art, literature, the face of an alert, happy toddler in a buggy on the street.

WHAT ABOUT NEXT SEASON?

The Emirates is the best stadium in the UK and a magnificent achievement by AFC. No other club in the world could have borrowed £260 million and built this stadium on time and on budget. The Emirates has a pitch the same size as the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Highbury is the smallest pitch in the league and the Emirates is the biggest. I've been on a tour there and I'll write something about that soon. The massive pitch will require a change of format and Beckham will be a big part of that.

Feb 28, 2006

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
another one of Myles famous "scoops" :D

I am worried that he says Henry will stay, that means he has already packed his bags and his wife is househunting in Madrid, Barcelona and Milano as we speak. :irritate:

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think these are two worthy reasons to buy Beckham

1. To cover up with the 20 million losses if we don't qualify for Champions League

2. We have a big pitch in Ashburton Groove

:D

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D

in the big pitch he will have large spots to throw his crosses.

someone forgot to tell him that the crosses are targeted to players not the pitch :D

·
63,337 Posts
he must have had a bad day last Tuesday then, that big Bernabeu pitch and he was missing all the wide open spaces and playing the ball bang on to yellow shirts.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Beckham was very complimentary about Wenger in an interview on ITV. He sounded as if he was looking for a transfer, but if we sold Vieira at 29 will it make sense to buy Beckham at 30?

·
63,337 Posts
panicos said:
but if we sold Vieira at 29 will it make sense to buy Beckham at 30?
no, not seeing as he has never been half the player of Vieira, and he can't tackle, can't head, has no presence so not what we need in our current predicament.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Football wise it would not work but let's face it Beckham can do wonders for us financially.

If and when we finish 5TH to 7TH and Beckham wants to move to Arsenal we may have no choice but to give him a three year deal. Sadly it's now clear CL football is by no means a certainty and the money we could make off Beckham would make CL football an after thought.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Myles Palmer!! You little beauttyyyyyy! :tongue:

Pires leaving and the number 7 becoming vacant! :eekani: The prophecy is true!! If only that old bag Oracle was right for once! :D Beckham returning to the town of his birth. :cool:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
no, not seeing as he has never been half the player of Vieira, and he can't tackle, can't head, has no presence so not what we need in our current predicament.
Arsenal need his marketing potential, though.

Especially if Champions League football for next season is not secured.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
I await the official one .... with sincere appreciation of Wenger's Foresignt. :howler:

He must have changed his taste to older boys.

·
63,337 Posts
L-Pheno said:
Arsenal need his marketing potential, though..

this is the Arsenal not Real Madrid, the day Wenger is told he has to starts bringing in players because they earn money rather than play football is the day he quits the club.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
It would not surprise me, David Beckham is a rentboy and he is already hated at Old Trafford.

Just buy him so the little ounce of respect left we got for him disappears. :thmbdown:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
probably Beckham would be used as an emergency left back. :lala:
Seriously Jern, now that the rumour is public, where would you field him? :)

1 - 20 of 126 Posts