1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From www.onefootball.com

Daum eyes Italy after threat to Besiktas

Monday 22nd April 2002

Christoph Daum has threatened to resign as coach of Besiktas unless the club comes good on its promise to strengthen the side - adding that Italian strugglers Parma have already sounded him out over his availability at the end of the season.

"If Besiktas do not improve the structure of this club I am going to leave," he said. "I have proven that I can work for any team.

"It is true that Parma are interested in me. I have had some talks, but there are also some other possibilities for Parma. Everything will be clear in the coming weeks."

Despite Daum's claim, Parma are not expected to appoint another foreign coach following the failure of Argentinian Daniel Passarella midway through the season.

It is more likely that Daum's comments are timed to further the pressure on the Besiktas board to strenghten a side he believes are already punching above their weight, although lingering hopes of clinching a Champions' League place ended on Saturday when the Black Eagles could only draw with Genclerbirligi.

"I am honoured to work for a club like Besiktas because I love this country and the fans and I love working in Turkey," Daum said. "But if there is no progress made towards becoming a solid club, I will quit Besiktas."

Daum has still not signed the new contract he was offered when Serdar Bilgili was re-elected president and there is speculation that it may now no longer be up for discussion.

The German believes that the Besiktas board has not freed up the funds needed to put the Black Eagles in a position to challenge Galatasaray and Fenerbahce at the top of the Super League, let alone Europe.

But Daum has also been accused of failing to get the most of the money that has been made available to him, and the Turkish press has reported a growing rift among Besiktas directors over whether he should be retained. Daum, however, believes that he has done all he can in the circumstances.

"I don't want to go through the problems we have experienced this season again," he said. "We have had financial, moral and administrative difficulties.

"In spite of all these, I have tried to work constructively. The team have also done the best they could. However, it is true that we have been unable to work professionally.

"If this is corrected, I am ready to stay at Besiktas next season, but if not they can look for someone else to replace me."

"Besiktas should be working harder to ensure they become a big European team of the future, but the board members have promised everything but done nothing.

"We only bought second-class players because we had no money. I wanted more and still want more. If they can't afford them they should find someone else."

Throughout the season Daum has also had to contend with attending regular court appearances in Germany to fight allegations that he purchased large amounts of cocaine.

He was also despondent after his side's shock Turkish Cup final defeat to Kocaelispor earlier this month and his position at the club was weakened when general manager and friend Sinan Engin announced he would be stepping down at the end of the season.

Parma are still not safe from relegation and needed a 90th minute Johan Micoud goal to snatch a point against Atalanta at the Ennio Tardini on Sunday.

Former AC Milan legend Arrigo Sacchi was brought in as general manager to work alongside coach Pietro Carmignani when Passarella was sacked in December 2001, but he has so far failed to halt the Gialloblu's slide.
What do you guys make out of it? is Daum a realistic possibility? Is it a good choice? I know that his reputation in Germany as a coach was very good, and he was supposed to take over the national team, if it wasn't for this drug affair...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I really don't know. If he's done good in Besiktas he's shown that he can being good results in different leagues.
To be totally fair, I don't really care what coach we bring in next season.
Del Neri, Prandelli, Terim, Daum, Trappatoni, the Empoli dude, the Modena dude, Guidolin, Mancini, Halihamovic? (the Lille dude) or whoever. There's no guarantee that anyone of them would be the right man.
I just hope we get someone who knows what he wants and what to do. I'm tired of having a totally clueless manager.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I believe that Daum would make a good coach! :) He did pretty good when he was in Germany; and would have taken the post as the coach of the German national team if there weren't those scandals. He was proven to be a drug addict and was suspected to be related to some crimes, as I can remember and understand?

I wouldn't mind having him as our new coach, though. :cool: I still remember how nervous he looks during a game! :D

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Well, he certainle USED TO BE a good coach and one of my favourites, mainly for his discipline he maintained in the squad.

But now, after some drug scandals, his reputation failed.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I think Daum would be a pretty good choice!
As a coach he is great! He can motivate players very good, and IMO that´s one of our main problems!
He won championship with VFB Stuttgart in 1991(?) and made Leverkusen to a topteam. Then this drugscandal came up and he was sacked as upcoming NTcoach. At Besiktas he was champ and cupwinner in1994 I think, so good reputations with teams who aren´t top favourites!:)
That´s what we need!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts