Xtratime Community banner

Darijo Srna

838 views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  RahzeL 
#1 ·
Is he really a NT starting eleven material??? Wouldnt Modric be a better option on right midfield? Srna doesnt even play in his natural position in NT, and I havent seen him making a single successful cross for a long time. I dont even want to comment on him being a captain. So he cried after a game, so what??? Here is how is see him play, takes the ball on right side, pushes it a bit than comes an opponent and tackles him, he is on the ground, holding his leg with facial expresions like its broken in 26 pieces. Here comes the ref and he is up and well. If you ask me our NT midfield should be Rakitic - Kranjcar - Modric and Srna can be our backup or play in Right back if Corluka plays centre back. And pls dont make it a Dinamo vs. Hajduk stuff.

#2 ·
Tell Slaven Bilic and co how you feel. Maybe they will listen.

#12 ·
Forget, right midfield. The guy has big potential at right back, he dives whatever, who doesn't. Watching him in the Champions League, the guy really owned the right flank, through his massive engine, up down, up down. Plus, he actually had some time on the ball, to put in a decent cross (When's the last time he put in a decent cross for the national team). And, most importantly his one-dimensional-ness is actually suited at right back, plus he doesn't even need to dribble properly, just try and get onto his right foot like he always does. Honestly, he has all the traits to be a cracking attacking right back.

#22 ·
:thmbup:

In all fairness to Srna, the reason he hasnt put in a decent cross in awhile and all the critisism he has been receiving is due to the fact he isnt a midfielder.

Like you mentioned, out wide he would be receiving the ball with much more space and he would have time to deliver a good ball, which I saw him do for Shaktar this past year. He looked like a different man.

In the mid he is in tighter space, and he is going 100 miles an hour, and doesnt have the ability to "stay on the ball", so he has to run around like a chicken without a head and this even affects our ability to keep possesion because he has trouble stopping the ball correctly when in these situations.

I just want to make myself clear, Im a Dario Srna fan and he definately deserves a spot in our first 11.

#21 ·
Maybe HNL will give us some player, maybe Tomasov or Vida. But how about Kranjcar, he played well against Germany. He was maybe too offensive, why not pull him back a bit. How about this:
Vukojevic can run a lot and its not like we dont have a sub for DM.

-----------Vukojevic----------

Modric-----Kranjcar-----Rakitic

#17 ·
If we move Srna to right back who should play RM in a 4-4-2? Modric, Rakitic, Kranjcar? Definitely not Rakitic imo, Kranjcar is too incosistent so Modric? If we move Modric to RM who are CM's going to be? Pokrivac and Vukojevic? Vukojevic and Leko? Hmm..
That's the question. Right midfield. Modrić would be the best bet, but the creativity in the centre would be slim. Vukojević and Pokrivač did very well against Poland, so well see. I don't think Slaven will more Luka to RM though.

#20 ·
He did impress in some matches. Simply through his hard work, he was really up and down the right flank all the time with little end product though, he scored that goal against Germany which was horrible defending. He had a few quality set pieces here and there, that's about it. His liabilities where there for all too see too...

#25 · (Edited)
I see in Srna the same wingback potential as Stanic. I like him as a midfielder, but with more space to run into and given the tactical freedom he could unhinge alot of defences.

Look at Pranjic making a give and go, a couple of times along the left...same could go for Srna.

Push Corluka in, have it anchored by Simunic or Kovac, and operate with wingbacks.

3-5-2, please Bilic use it like before...

I've always loved this formation, I've been advocating it for a long time, and I can see it working wonders for us with this team.

Who anchors it I don't know, just we MUST have a covering mid of some sorts if we play Rakitic, Kranjcar, and Modric together of even just Modric and Rakitic, if Kranjcar doesn't change his game and get more involved.

------------------Klasnic-------------------Kranjcar---

------------Rakitic--------------------------Modric----
Pranjic----------------------VUK/LEKO-------------------Srna--

--------------Simunic------R. Kovac----------Corluka

Seems balanced.

Cheers

#26 ·
I'm totally against 3-5-2, it's a system which needs both wingers to have an awesome display at both ends of the field and it's disruptive of the backline which is weaker should the help be unavailable.

It's no coincedence that along with Bilic and the 4 man backline, came results and celebrations after a dysmal WC where we were one of 2 teams using that system.

Baric didn't have the midfield for a 4-4-2 and used guys like Tudor and Zivkovic in there, Bilic was happy to free up Simunic and Pranjic on the left, and Corluka on the right in qualifiers and Euro08, for this Niko Kovac's contribution was essential, he will be very difficult to replace.

#27 ·
Our ideal midfield is:

---------------------Vukojević---Pokrivač--------------
------------Modrić-------------------------Rakitić------

Personally, I wouldn't mind swapping the two wide players over, I love the idea of Raketa getting balls into the box with his awesome right peg. Srna as RB and Pranjić as LB. Pokrivač and Vukojević may or may not be ready (we're going to have to throw them into the cauldron because our previous DM was irreplaceable, probably the greatest player in his position for the last 30 years:err::cecco:) but we have little choice. It would be much easier if someone like Sharbini was ready or if Krunchie had the motor to play centrally but this is not the case.

Anyway, Srna will have more opportunities to get the ball into the box as a RB than he would otherwise. He'll be overlapping and occasionally supporting the RM so if he times it well he should have the time and space. The only problem is (and I think many have overlooked it) that we don't have players who are physically imposing in the box so often getting balls in there is not advantageous. When the likes of Pršo and Klasnić were there it made sense but lately we've been playing a lot of the counter game so usually there isn't anyone in there (and when there is it's usually the 5'9" Dudu).

Off the top of my head, I can remember us scoring some important goals in qualifying off Srna crosses (MKD in Zagreb, 4th goal v ISR away) and even the winning goal against Israel in ZG came from a Ćorluka cross which was teed up by Srna. All I'm saying is that there could be more to it than just Darijo not being as good as he was at getting the ball in there.

ps. I do agree that his overall delivery has lost quality in recent times. Whenever he went over to take a corner I was pulling my hair out with the knowledge that at any give time we could score from a Raketa delivery. Oh well. :lala:

#28 ·
ma ajde serete govna. Naravno da srna zasluzuje mjesto u prvih 11, čak i ako igra desnog veznog. Iako sam siguran da bi bio bolji kao desni bek mjesto u prvih 11 mu je opravdano!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.