Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any info on him? He was my favourite player bac when Football Italia was on C4 evry Saturday. Info anyone?

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Last time I seen him, he was playing in France I think. He has probably retired by now but he could still be playing.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
No, he's retired. He is 41 after all. His fall from the spotlight was rather sudden, and as a result, he could not really build an international career. Mind you, a strike rate of 1 goal in 15 games isn't really enough, and, often, he was ineffectual in the Italy games, and he did start pretty late.

·
Registered
46,358 Posts
His fall from the spotlight was rather sudden, and as a result, he could not really build an international career
Hey Bastin, he played for Italy in the WC of 1994 when he was 33 years old!!! Not all the players are like Stanley Matthews.

However I think that now Massaro is enjoying himself: I know that until two years ago he was a pilot of rally and that he was the captain of the Italian team of beach soccer (against other teams of old players: Cantona's France, Leo Junior's Brazil). I think that he is still interested in motors and is still tied to Milan (but I don't know his position).
Money, sea, beach, motors, women.... what can he ask more?

·
Registered
46,358 Posts
a strike rate of 1 goal in 15 games isn't really enough
Eh he he.... he was not a great striker but he scored something more.
First of all he often started on the bench as a subs. Then you must remember that in Italy there were not so many goals in the 80s (when Massaro scored really few goals playing much more).
In the 90s he scored much more: he scored 11 goals in 93/94, 10 in 89/90, 9 in 1991/92. That means a strike rate of 1 goal in 3 games. 5 the remaining years (sometimes playing really few minutes per game).
I remember 2 goals of Massaro in a final of CL against Barcelona (4-0).

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Hey Bastin, he played for Italy in the WC of 1994 when he was 33 years old!!! Not all the players are like Stanley Matthews.
That's exactly the point. He was an international player until he was into his mid-30s almost, but he retired from football immediately after dropping out of the Italian national team, didn't he? I call that dropping out of the limelight pretty suddenly.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I remember that I once saw him with a Japanese team in 1996 (?!) or so? I can't remember exact name of this team though: S... (?) Heartbeat or something like that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow. I remember the two goals that he put against F.C.Barcelona in the Champions League final in 1994 in Athens!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I suppose nobody expected Milan to walk it - just showed their pedigree in 1994.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts