Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I somehow always feel more sorry for the teams that get knocked out in the knock-out phase then in the group stage.
Maybe because in the group stage, just like that half of them are out and you hardly have time to realize who's actually all gone. But on the KO-pase days only 1 or 2 matches are played, and when which ever team loses I seem to realize immediately that that team is out, they will no longer be part of the the tournament.
I'm disappointed that I won't see more of Romania, with two or three world-class players, they managed to put on world-class performances in two crucial matches and some players performing world-class, like Munteanu, Belodidici, and Chivu, all outstanding against Italy, so sad they finished on the losing side.
Hagi should not have argued with the referee, wasn't he sent-off for arguing he did not get a penalty?, he didn't get a yellow for diving right?
Hagi must have been frustrated that his side couldn't breakthrough Italy's 10-men defence.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
it is sad to see hagi leave this way, but we must be realistic, romania had nothing to lose compared to the italians....i am proud of romania and their efforts. i have enjoyed watching chivu playing great attacking game and mutu looking like he is going to have a good future. petre is very small, but he has speed to cause problems for any defence. rosu was normal when he came in. the one person i really started to hate in the romanian squad was galca. imo, he took too many pointless shots....i think there were only 5 overall in the tourniment by him and i was just shocked the unrelevance of him in the romanian strategic play. he didnt show anything special to be impressed about. the commentator said that lazio and fiorentina are after galca, and i dont believe the italian champions want to bring him to replace the great almeyda. IF he joins, he would be 3rd string midfielder...i rather have baronio, simeone and even sensini in there. i know im kind of hard on him, but if he plays like that alot, then he isnt going any top italian team.

on the topic of refs, i am tired of seeing the less popular teams get booked and suspended for stupid reasons. let me just ask you if raul, davids, inzaghi did that, would they get the same treatment?

davids was going crazy on the referee in the game against france and he only got a yellow...he deserved a red for all his bitching!

hagi, didnt get the penalty, but the ref actually decided to stop the match just to book hagi in that kind of situation. it is unbelievable!!! if it was someone like inzaghi or raul, the ref would just say it wasnt a foul and thats it, but he didnt do that with hagi. he decided to give him the red because of it.

there is no consistency! because of that, teams like romania suffered because of lack of depth the in squad

everyone must be treated the same. the name of the player should not matter.

[Edited by argentina on 25-06-2000 at 13:06]

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Yeah it was a sad day.

To me Romania deserves to be in the sf actually. They impressed me again last night. They actually tried to win the game. I liked what Ganea showed last night. Hagi's dismissal was a low point (IMO he got his 2nd yellow for 'diving', according to the ref).
The Italians never impress me by their style of play, to me it's sad that usually a team which concentrate mostly on the defence and treat attack as 3rd priority usually gets punished, but NOT the Italians!
By the way things are going, it seems that they'll become the Champions :( Not because I'm an azzuri fan, but usually the Champions are the team that don't really impress in their way to finals - the team that just show a slightly-above-the-average performance, and haven't been helped by luck that much (just to a normal level). Remember Germany in 96? Denmark in '92? Aarrggghhh, is it Italy then? :mad:

But well done, Romania. You've done a great job, so now it's goodbye to Hagi. Now it's up to Chivu, Lobont, Ganea (too bad he's already 27 :( ), Ilie...to continue the job.

HAI RomaniA!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
HAI ROMANIA

After the defeat to Italy, I am still proud to be Romanian. Our team was not embarassed in this tournment at all, we proved again that we have a very talented side. I am sad about Hagi's end. But I think he was becoming too egotistical and bossy as he was always yelling at teammates for every mistake. But I can forgive him after all he's done for Romanian football. I know that there were 4 starters missing for this game, but it doesn't matter, our team played hard, dominated parts of the game and were unlucky. I can now smile about our future as Chivu and Mutu showed that they could be the rebirth of the new golden generation. Let's not forget Niculae, Alin Stoica and Catalin Munteanu who all have the same potential as Chivu and Mutu. Also Contra showed he is useful on the side. Also, Ganea is reliable, but misses a lot of chances.

So this is the team I would take to the WC qualifiers, a team with a youthful outlook and the possibility to become a great young team
Goalkeepers: Lobont (starter), Stelea (if he wants to stay).

Defenders: Contra (starter), Filipescu (starter), Miu, Popescu (starter), Chivu (starter), Bolohan?.

Midfielders: D. Munteanu (starter), Galca (starter), Stoica (starter), C. Munteanu (starter), Petrescu, Petre, Hildan, Linkar.

Forwards: Ilie (starter), Mutu (starter), Ganea, Moldovan, Niculae.

I just don't know who's going to be in our central defense however. I think Filipescu should move to center, but who is going to replace Popescu? Anyone but Ciobi!! I hate him. Someone give me some ideas.

[Edited by EclipsE on 26-06-2000 at 12:50]

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Romania certainly went home with their heads held high :) Compared to Yugo...being trashed 1-6 is definitely a nightmare! The Czechs also went home with dignity... :) :)

Just wondering why you hate Ciobotariu, EclipsE?

And yes, the defence is rather worrying. That shows from the fact that Romania had to play Belodedici! :(

I haven't got that much access to Romanian league, so I'm afraid I can't mention the names of some youth talents for the defence. :( I hope to see more of Mutu next season, but it's so difficult to imagine that with Inter. So many strikers there! Although some are injured...

Is Ganea moving anywhere next season?

D. Munteanu is already 32...He'll still be useful in the WC qualifier, but will we still be able to see him in Japan/South Korea? I wouldn't even mind if he'll be included in the bench as long as he's still included...My only chance of seeing the players in person will only be in WC 2002! That is if I manage to go to Japan then...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Nothing much to add :(
At least what I saw made me believe that Romania will soon have success on the national stage when Contra, Chivu, Mutu and Petre (and to later add Niculae) gather some more experience. They are very talanted players, and with some patience they can make miracles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts