Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dalmat still smarting over France snub

Tuesday 25th June 2002

Internazionale midfielder Stephane Dalmat has slammed France coach Roger Lemerre for not taking him to the World Cup.

"Watching our matches, I felt a lot of sadness. I sincerely believe I should have been part of that squad, especially compared to some of the players I face in Italy," he said.

France had a torrid time in the Far East, going out in the group stage having failed to score a goal.

Dalmat was left behind by coach Lemerre, despite having a good season with Inter last term, while Alain Boghossian and Johan Micoud, both of whom had poor seasons with Parma, made the trip.

He now hopes a successful season at the San Siro will win him a regular place. "There are a lot of good players and it's hard to get into the national team," he said.

"France did badly at the World Cup, though, and lots of players will leave. If I have a good season with Inter, I will get in."

Dalmat is also confident of being kept on in Milan, despite the disappointment of losing the Scudetto race to Juventus. "I'm very happy here and I want to stay. It's the first time in my career that I've played two consecutive seasons at the same club," he said.

"Normally I change club every year, but now I'm looking for continuity.

Dalmat was deployed by Inter coach Hector Cuper in a variety of roles last season and was often forced on to the bench by the outstanding form of Clarence Seedorf.

The Dutch midfielder has moved to Milan, however, freeing up the creative central midfield role. "My ideal position is behind the two forwards or in central midfield with someone screening the defence," he said.

"I'm able to attack and defend, but I feel more confident if I can count on a defensive midfielder. That's the way I played in France and how I would like to play here in Italy.

"I want to show to coach Cuper that I can be important for this team. During the season we'll see how many matches I play, then we'll decide my future.

"I have many personal goals. I want to play more, like everyone. I want to have a great season, knowing I have Cuper's confidence.

"I still haven't spoken with the coach. He knows where I want to play. I know that I will no longer play on the wing and I will probably play in the centre.

"We'll see if I deserve Cuper's confidence or not. We will talk to see whether he needs me or not. There are many midfielders, maybe five, six or seven for only two places.

"I am a player who needs everybody's confidence. I don't want to stay for a whole season on the bench, but I don't expect to always play. I just want to have the chance to play in my position, so I can help the team in the best way I can.

"I'm not interested in playing 15 minutes a match."

Dalmat joined Inter in 2001 after falling out with Paris Saint-Germain coach Luiz Fernandez. He previously played for Marseille and Lens.

onefootball ;)
---------------------
france needs dalmat...he should have been in the WC squad...if dalmat had played in the WC, france would have done better when zidane wasn't on the field...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Im also a big fan of Stéphane Dalmat! but its easy to be smart after the worldcup and say he should be part of the squad and he shouldn´t etc etc ...

well for the Euro 2004 he should ofcourse be in the plans.
and maybe Peter Luccin is also matured and showing the world his pure world class!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts