Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seemingly, Corinthians are trying to further strengthen their contingent of argentine players, according to german media, they made an offer for D'Alessandro to his club Wolfsburg.
D'Alessandro isn't very happy in Germany because Wolfsburg are crap but he also has a very poor season. German football is too physical for him. When he came to Germany, everyone thought that he will shine 1-2 seasons for Wolfsburg and then move on to a bigger club like Bayern or to clubs from Spain or Italy. But his performances on the pitch never justified such a move, he showed his skills only rarely, and aside the pitch, he failed to integrate into german life. Therefore there was no interest from a bigger club for D'Alessandro at all so far. Maybe he will do better in Brasil. But what do you think about Corinthians becoming an argentine stronghold :D ?

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
I would love to read Ze da Fiel answer to your last question... ;) :D

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Good for Corinthians to stay as a SA superpower, but I prefer if they stick to signing young players before they make the big jump to Europe instead of signing youngster in Europe.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
nasty nick said:
Good for Corinthians to stay as a SA superpower, but I prefer if they stick to signing young players before they make the big jump to Europe instead of signing youngster in Europe.
Why? I'd like European clubs to sign youngsters from Europe instead of South American youngsters too, but how would Corinthians benefit from signing only South American-based players? If Corinthians wants to sign talented players from smaller clubs, what difference does it make if those clubs are European or not? After all, there are dozens of quality South American youngsters sprinkled across crappy Euro clubs. If Corinthians can afford to sign those players, good for them (and for the players too, of course). ;)

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
nasty nick said:
I would think it would be better for Brazilians, or any South American league fans for that matter, to see young talented players coming INTO the league, rather than always leaving.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Garrincha said:
Why? I'd like European clubs to sign youngsters from Europe instead of South American youngsters too, but how would Corinthians benefit from signing only South American-based players? If Corinthians wants to sign talented players from smaller clubs, what difference does it make if those clubs are European or not? After all, there are dozens of quality South American youngsters sprinkled across crappy Euro clubs. If Corinthians can afford to sign those players, good for them (and for the players too, of course). ;)
Everyone is bound to play in Europe sooner or later, why interrupt the newly started career of players already in Europe? try too keep the domestic players longer then to sign them back, like the guy from Porto. I don't mind the Brazilian league to be more competitive at all, but when young players like D'Allesandro proved their value in SA it's time to go to the next level, and not to go back once again to earn some extra dollars thanks to that Iranian billionaire at Corinthians. I hope D'Allesandro now goes to the next level by joining a big European club, instead of going one step back.

·
Administrator
30,844 Posts
Next Level, Nasty Nick ?
I think we are right, after players who proved themselves in SA and move to the "Lower" level of Europe, why getting them back ? It is too much troublesome. We have to teach them all again about how to play football and all thing about "exploit his talent" the best you can that europeans seems until today do not understand in name of tatical compromisses that our teams are able to fullfil without giving up individuality.

There is no such thing as next level, a player could spend all his time playing for a team like River Plate like D'Alessandro did and anyone saying he had to leave to show something else somewhere have no idea what the shirt of River Plate means. This team is a big as any team in europe, and when any team I meantioned It is bigger as giants like Milan.
They left to europe just to get extra dollars, nothing else. When money is no longer a difference, the atractiveness of many european's teams just disaper.

·
Administrator
30,844 Posts
Wow, just to be there is so much better than playing to win Libertadores...

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
ampersand said:
not if wolfsburg makes the champions league
Wolfsburg could make the CL for ten years in a row, and they would still be smaller than Corinthians.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
camilo, while not all great players are in the cl and of course there are some crap players in it, ever since 'bosman' the cl is the best club competition in the world.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Garrincha said:
Wolfsburg could make the CL for ten years in a row, and they would still be smaller than Corinthians.
probably, but what i meant was playing in the cl is higher level than in south america.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Only if he were playing in a high-level club, Ampersand. Playing in a team filled with mediocre players that only participates in the CL is NOT "higher level" than playing with a team filled with quality players that actually plays to win trophies. ;)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
playing against real madrid or ac milan is definitely higher level than against anyone in south america at present.
i don't think your teammates define the level of a competition so much as the opposition.

·
Administrator
30,844 Posts
Real Madrid is high level ? High level what ? High level hollywood blockbuster, full of stars and nothing else ? Are you going to tell me that the experience of playing 1,2 games is worth...Amazing.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
ampersand said:
playing against real madrid or ac milan is definitely higher level than against anyone in south america at present.
i don't think your teammates define the level of a competition so much as the opposition.
The amount of times D'Alessandro played against teams of Milan quality since moving to Germany can be counted in one hand, and you probably would have a couple of fingers left after counting.

But I have a slight suspicion that you wouldn't be protesting this much if the rumor was linking D'Alessandro to an Argentinean club like River or Boca, instead of Corinthians... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
ampersand said:
not if wolfsburg makes the champions league
Wolfsburg is currently 12 points off CL place with 4 matches to play. With their actual team, Corinthians will most probably qualify for the Libertadores next year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts