Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Against Milan in the Coppa I finally had a chance to watch D'Agostino play a full game. He turned out to be a great player, who did very well on both wings and has very good dribbling and passing abilities. I thought it's a real shame that a player like him should rot on the bench especially when Lima plays every game. I think he can replace Lima on the left wing successfully, especially in home games and against weaker opposition, when we need creativity more than tireless running. He can also be used to replace Mancini when the latter is struggling or needs a break(which moment will come very soon IMO).

What do you think?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I agree he looked our best player probably, I would have gave him a 6.5 rating for yesterdays match.

He has loads of talent, I think its a shame if we wasted it playing him as a wing back! But I know what you mean, its better playing him rather than Lima in matches where we will be attacking!!!

He is a good back-up player to have currently :) and 1 we should progress into a starter in coming years!!!

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
I've thought for sometime that D'Ago is our best unused option for the midfield. He's very talented. His second half of the second half was kinda lame tho.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I've only see him play once or twice, would be nice if Cap threw him on for the end of a few Serie A games. Is he seriously good enough in defence to play on the wing? I havent seen him enough to say.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Ready to Explode: Gaetano D'Agostino

Perhaps something was going through his head Thursday morning: despite having a good performance in the Coppa Italia at the Meazza against Milan, the Roma bus left without him after the match, he had to call team manager Tempestilli to turn the bus around and pick him up, as they returned to Roma. A small talk happened after to talk about the error and then everybody went home. But Gaetano D'Agostino, finally on the front page, two days after has the air of happiness: "I'm very happy for how things went against Milan, happy for how I played, to how I responded to the demands of Capello. I don't do anything else but give my maximum."

D'Agostino just one month ago could feel that something was right, perhaps the society was thinking of a possible loan move for the player, but then a talk with sporting director Baldini first and then with Capello after, the boy from Palermo remained at Trigoria. "To Baldini I asked about clarity on my future, but to not let me leave Roma. The society responded that they wanted to point a future towards me, the same thing was said by Capello and from then on the discussion was closed. Thus far I have played thirteen games between championship and cups. When Roma sold me to Bari my only objective was to return here. And if Roma spent a couple of million to bring me back to Trigoria, it signifies that they believe in me."

Come June what will D'Agostino do? "I will go to the beach," he jokes,"My intention is to remain at Roma even further than my contract which expires in 2006. I am tired to hear that I still have to grow, I want to affirm myself, explode in a great team where I have the luck to play."

But what exactly are the characteristics of the player? Here then, how would D'Agostino present..... D'Agostino? "I like to play just on the right, in a way in which I can converge to the center and shoot with my left, but anything will do just as long as I play. And then, at 21 years, it's good for me and for the team to know in which position on the field I will play." Even in a role similar to what Pirlo plays? (in front of the defense) "Why not? Pirlo wasn't a median but a trequartista."

Is it true that D'Agostino lacks personality? "Personality is given with continuity when you play. When you are not in condition, you have difficulty putting your leg in a tackle in fear of getting hurt. At Milano I did more fouls than Tommasi: if I feel the trust of the coach I put everything I have on the field." Sunday Roma-Sampdoria: "It will be difficult, because Samp is strong, they didn't deserve to lose against Juventus and they have strong players like Flachi and Bazzani. Physically and mentally Roma has no problems, even though we lost in the Coppa Italia we know that we played a good game and that we didn't deserve to lose. We're even coming off an important win against Perugia. It will be a nice game."

In terms of the hottest youngsters in Italia, Gaetano is humble in giving an answer. "On the podium? I don't truly know, there are many young, good players, the qualification of the Under 21 National in Europe shows this. OK fine then, I'll put myself on the podium," he says with a grin.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is he seriously good enough in defence to play on the wing?
From what i saw against Milan, he's not good at defending, that's why I proposed to use him against weaker opposition at Olimpico mostly. Lima of late is also awful at defending and still pathetic in attack, D'Agostino can't do much worse IMO.;)

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Demandred said:
From what i saw against Milan, he's not good at defending, that's why I proposed to use him against weaker opposition at Olimpico mostly. Lima of late is also awful at defending and still pathetic in attack, D'Agostino can't do much worse IMO.;)
But as he says himself, he can play on the right and in central, he doesn't mention left wing. I don't know if he is the answer to replace Lima.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His better foot is the left one, I can't see a reason why he can't play on the left. And he also said:
but anything will do just as long as I play.
But if he prefers it on the right, he can still be useful when Mancini has one of his usual off days or when the brasilian gets too tired(which will inevitably happen, he plays every game and runs an awful lot).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts