Da good:

Quality is improving
Atmosphere is improving
FINALLY Reserve teams... :thmbup:
Anotha expension team for next year..San Antonio :thmbup:
Finally scouting Brazilian playas and buyin younga foreigners

Da bad
Them fockin horns
Americano commentaries! Need witty English commentaries!!!
More sawka stadiums
And betta looking cheerleaders..not butherfaces!! and having a Corona Beer concession...plz!!!! Beer is good for ya...solves n causes lifes lil problems!! and has vitamin Pee!! :thmbup:

Da Ugly!

More owners
MLS owning playas rights! :nono:
Them focking side commercials :nono:
lettin good playas go for free.....Bocanegra n Ryan Nelson!! :nono:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Goo points here

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
I like your thought process, I will do a list of my own.

Major League Soccer: Da good, da bad, and da ugly

GOOD:

>General increase in level of play. As opposed to last time we expanded the league, this time the league's level of play has improved along with the expansion teams, so this is very good.

>Attendance. The initial surge in attendance following the 2002 World Cup hasn't dropped, in fact it's risen. MLS Attendances are still rising which is very good for the league as we try to create a good, competitive league.

>Stadiums are finally getting built. As of now, we have two real stadiums in America. The Burn will get their gorgeous new stadium very shortly, while teams like the Fire, Metrostars, and DC United are all well into plans to build stadiums of their own. This is nothing but good for MLS as it creates more cashflow for the club and creates a better atmosphere for the fans.

>The league takes risks. While in leagues like England or Italy only the very, very cream of the crop get chances when they're very young (18 or below.) In America, we've consistently taken risks with younger players that have reaped rewards for the league. Going back in time, players like Convey, Quaranta, Johnson, Gaven, Szetela, Adu...the list is enormous. These are all players who have not only come into the league, but have made a good, positive impact on the league.

Not only have they just taken risks, but there is a reocurring theme in the league of youth, which is good not just for MLS but for American soccer in general. In MLS right now, there are 29 players who are 21 or younger. That is fantastic for American soccer. To have this kind of youth to be given a chance to play and perform in a high level league improves all aspects of our league and the sport within our nation.

>Atmosphere within stadiums. My good friend Jonny said this, but I will expand on it. I attended my first MLS game in 1999, as a wide eyed 10 year old who had only really been into the game for a year or two, watching the Wizards play the Burn in front of 8,000 other people who knew about as much about the team and game in general as I did - nothing. Fast foward six years, and now I go to a Wizards game to be with 20,000 fans who actually know something about the sport. Not only do they know the Wizards and MLS, but you can actually strike up a chat about the Premiership, about the Serie A or the ongoing Champions League. Now I go to a Wiz' game here and I talk with people about the mercurial skills of Henry, the temper of Diouf or Totti, the showboating of Crissy Ronaldo. It's becoming a better experience overall. Not to disrespect, but the atmosphere with 15,000 people who love the game or the same amount of people who are just going because there's nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon, other than to take your six year old daughter to the game thinking she'll actually enjoy it and understand it...

>More rivalries forming. For a good league to be developed, then you have to have passionate rivalries that drive the league. We have this in DC United versus Columbus, the Fire versus the Metrostars, and now the first real derby is formed with the Galaxy versus Chivas. Lovely.

>Ticket prices. While American football, baseball and basketball still have huge ticket prices, MLS has always retained extremely reasonable ticket prices that make it possible to go without breaking the bank. The prices are also extremely good when compared with prices of other leagues like the English Premier League.

>More owners. This is actually a very good thing, as opposed to three or four guys basically running the league, we now have more guys. This is good as it makes it to where if one guy drops out, the league isn't forced into a terrible economical situation that could lead to an eventual collapse.

BAD:

>Presentation of the league. While it isn't quite in the ugly category, it isn't really good either. The American announcers are, well...annoying. They don't know the game that well, they don't present the game in an attractive manner, and it's just kinda dull. It's bad enough having to put up with the ESPN2 guys for USA games, but when they do MLS too it's just...ugh. I wish they'd use the Champions League guys. As bad as they are, they're better than the American ones.

What dissapoints me most is the loss of the wonderful show MLS Wrap. I loved that show. Every Saturday night I'd flip on the telly at 11 to watch all the MLS highlights presented in an attractive way with two guys who actually knew what they were talking about. It was fun to watch and actually very informative. This year they just have highlights, no information, and it's only a half an hour long. It makes me sad.

>Horns/Noise makers. No explanation needed. The only time these things come in handy are outside of the stadium, when you're just being a dick with your friends. Other than this, it just...

UGLY:

>The Adidas Sponsorship Deal. It's ridiculous. I hate this. I hate that MLS can do this. For the league to be able to tell all of it's teams what to wear for 10 seasons is a preposterous idea. I do know that this huge cash influx with do the league good as we build, it also hurts the league in having individuality and it keeps us basically bound to Adidas until 2016. And who knows where the league will be by then? Imagine if Nike could pay the Premiership three billion dollars but all of the teams would have to wear the same sponsor. It seems crazy, doesn't it? But this comes down to a bigger problem...

>MLS Owning the Teams. This does the league no good and all good at the moment. I see the benefits of it, but this really is an issue we're going to have to address. The Serie A doesn't pay it's club's player's salaries, so why should MLS be any different? We need owners who are willing to take control of the club, the contracts, the stadium. This gives the league more individuality, and more power. Look at America - we have a top power but we also have most of the power given to the individual states - like MLS should do with it's clubs. And America is super strong - MLS would be too if they'd try to do this. This, too, pushes onto another issue;

>"Transfer" Policy. The current policy is nothing short of a joke. Now all we do is "trade" players back and foward. It's not freaking Major League Baseball, it's soccer. In soccer you don't exchange one player for another - you buy who you want. The trading players only weakens the league in the end. The thing is...currently, the league Has no dominant force, and has no weaklings.

While this is good for overall competitiveness, it's bad for the development of the league. As of now, there is no way to create a real powerhouse in the league - which is what any league needs. Imagine the Premiership in the 90's without Manchester United. It wouldn't be where it is today. The league improved rapidly due to the dominance of United. To compete, all of the other clubs had to change their own game, to strive to improve so to be able to catch up with United. MLS needs this.

The league has improved a lot, but imagine if all of the teams had to raise their games enormously so to be able to catch up with the leader - a la everyone with DC United at the beginning. If one club could dominate the league - really dominate it - then I believe the quality of the league would skyrocket. How does this tie in with transfer policy you ask? Well, really, it's simple. As of now, no team can really strengthen themselves to the point where they can dominate the league. A team can't get the player they want and need for one position without first sacrificing someone from another place. This just stagnates the quality of the team and overall the league. Imagine if you were able to have the best goalkeeper, defender, and striker in the league without having to sacrifice one of the three. The quality of that team would be enormous. MLS needs this kind of quality for the whole league to improve. As of now, though, there's no room to improve as everyone has to sacrifice to try to become better.

There's a lot more to Major League Soccer than this, things that very few people know about, but these are the major points, I believe, when looking at "da good, da bad, and da ugly" of MLS.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I agree with Ike on most of the things. The presentation is horrendous, I want to rectify it. That's why I want to go into broadcasting. I would love to do MLS commentary. The transfer policy is a joke and needs to be changed immediately.

But, the thing I hate the most wasn't mentioned by anyone, and that is the league setup. As Ike said, this is not Major League Baseball. We don't need two different divisions. What we need to do is create one unified league with no "Eastern" and "Western" conferences. That would allow us to resemble the leagues around the world and maybe gain more respect. Plus, it would eliminate having Kansas City in the "eastern" conference. We still could have our play-offs for the top 8 teams in the league and they could be crowned MLS Cup Champs. That way we would effictively create our own treble. MLS Championship, US Open Cup, MLS Cup. As the League and game grows, I would love to see relegation/promotion with the USL Division 1. That would really be great. However, we are not to that point yet.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Yeah, financially we are away from relegation by at least 20 or 30 years because we don't have investors who are willing to take the type of financial hit that relegation would mean. Although so far they've taken a big enough hit within MLS anyways...

Also, I agree with the sort of combined league + year end playoffs. Now teams have no incentive to rock it the whole season, simply to do well right at the end due to the parity. If MLS doesn't want to award a winner to the top league finisher, fine. At least add something more special to the playoffs.

Take the top two or three teams from each division. If it's two then it's winner east vs runner up west, and vice versa. With three teams from each division, then you could do First East bye First West bye, with second in East versus third West, and vice versa. Then the winners would face the top-seeded teams, so it would be more competitive to make the playoffs.

Plus, Jonny, hotter bitches would be good...

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hooter bitches...lol ,

keepin to da core:shades:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts