·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they have alot of fans and they r very passionate! :greed:

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
what is the idea behind Chivas having a club in the MLS?

Is it a Jr. squad?

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
I dont think so, but i agree, as much as i HATE the mexicanization of america, Chivas USA is a good addition to the MLS

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Che said:

Is it a Jr. squad?

a feeder club

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
If the idiots at the MLS had any brains ten years ago, they'd allow Celtic to go to Boston, ManU to New York, B. Munich to Chicago etc...and the league would be ten times more powerful than it is now.

Cheers

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Real Madrid wan to own an mls team

·
Registered
23 Posts
Think it is more of a business decision..

Che said:

Is it a Jr. squad?
American Southwest is chock full of Mexican nationals and Americans of Mexican ancestry.....MANY of whom....are passionate about their home-grown football. A very astute owner or owners....has decided to tap into this market. Chivas is a very popular MFL Club in California as is Club America. (remember this is an Anglo speaking...so some of this is opinion from counting jerseys at local games and stickers on car windows!!!) MLS wont let complete Foreign teams compete so by joining the league and bringing in many MEx/Americans plus some talent from home...they have effectively produced a nearly complete mexican team in LA! Already the first Galaxy vs. Chivas game was Much more Intense than a std MLS game! Bodes well for the future of the sport in America and for SURE on the West Coast!
I completely agree that the should encourage "sister" clubs with the bigger names from all over the globe.....Celtic, Barcelona, Man U, etc etc. which could still help USA players develope but might be a great starting area for younger / budding stars from the rest of the world....sort of a world developmental league. Believe something like it will come soon.
MLS is 10 yrs old and just barely starting to catch on. WC action in 2002 did not hurt us, that was for sure. Expect quality of play to be much better this year than just a few years ago. If only the American media would treat it as a major league sport. The upside for me is that it is still kind of a little secret for the true believers.....you can catch a pro soccer game (san jose for example) and tickets cost about 20 bucks....not crowded...lots of local flavor and fun.
Chivas USA is doing pretty well if you ask me....brand new club?....think they will be v/competitive as early as next year. Should be FUN in the meantime.....LOTS of goals in their games!!! :lick:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I dont believe it would be a good idea for too many of the big clubs in europe to get involved in the MLS as it will take away the young talent from here to play. The MLS was slow to develope youth clubs, what 8 years into the league. That is something they should have done right away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unfortunately for US Soccer.....

IMHO...there has always been great resistance to so-called Youth Clubs as I understand them in England and I assume the Continent. Americans are very, Very hesitant to let their children attend "school" where the emphasis is not primarily academics, but a Sport.... I think that attitude is slowly turning but will take some time and will Never be as prevelant as overseas.
I can understand your point about big clubs stealing away US talent. That would certainly need to be discouraged somehow....but think without the steady influx of non-American players and including some younger talent....our game will continue to be an extension of College ball which is Awful! Ball skills at 2 on a scale of 10 !!
For the Fan Base to grow....sooner.....we need the Chivas's or Boca Super - Juniors (!) to help "pump up the Volume", improve the quality of play (which HAS improved albeit slowly over 9 yrs.) and make the game a LITTLE more like the one played in the rest of the world.
Or.......
to better match American taste for sports....... a few good rivalries including a little fisticuffs or on-field Riots would do the trick to attract the NASCAR / Hockey fans, eh??! :eekani:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
My point about taking young kids to Europe was the reference to Spector and I believe his name is Whitbread wh went to Man U and Liverpool respectively to their youth programs. They didnt have MLS youth programs to attend and were picked up by those clubs.
We have to face the fact that Soccer/ Footie is a buisness and the MLS is to survive they have to be able to make a profit on players in the US. Especially now in our growing stage. The sale of players such as Howard, Boca, Mcbride and others help 15 other young lads get the training they need to make it. If you introduce the big clubs to the league, then they would benifit from those players rather than the MLS. Granted it would be a short term boost for the league but longterm could be a disaster.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
The point I was trying to make was that the fan base would have been much, much greater and there would have been more $$ available to the clubs in MLS which is in itself a stupid name.

There's not much of a chance of a 'youth' system working in the US anyhow. It goes against the culture, and the school system is so well developed and entrenched there's no way to fight it.

Cheers

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,482 Posts
Jonny Knoxville said:
Real Madrid wan to own an mls team
Ill move whereever they get a club :jester: Even if it happens to be in Toledo, Ohio :dazed:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Ljubuski said:
The point I was trying to make was that the fan base would have been much, much greater and there would have been more $$ available to the clubs in MLS which is in itself a stupid name.

There's not much of a chance of a 'youth' system working in the US anyhow. It goes against the culture, and the school system is so well developed and entrenched there's no way to fight it.

Cheers
I understand what your saying but it wouldnt work here. I hate to keep harping on this but The NASL failed for a couple of reasons, but the main reason was The team with the most money bought the players and won the league every year The Cosmos. They gravitated to the Ethnic level of their area and brought in players (granted old and past their prime to play.) They sold out Giants stadium every game. Then with american sports fans being what they are knowing the cosmos were going to win it every year the smaller revenue areas lost their smaller fan base. The league folded.
Parity in the league was the key to its survival over the last 10 years, are we ready for that to change, I dont think we are yet. I hope that we would one day as I know Disney who owned the Cosmos wouldn't ming getting back into pro Soccer again as they were the only company to make a profit. And with their money we could finaly have a championship back in New York.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
PAULMAY said:
I understand what your saying but it wouldnt work here. I hate to keep harping on this but The NASL failed for a couple of reasons, but the main reason was The team with the most money bought the players and won the league every year The Cosmos. They gravitated to the Ethnic level of their area and brought in players (granted old and past their prime to play.) They sold out Giants stadium every game. Then with american sports fans being what they are knowing the cosmos were going to win it every year the smaller revenue areas lost their smaller fan base. The league folded.
Parity in the league was the key to its survival over the last 10 years, are we ready for that to change, I dont think we are yet. I hope that we would one day as I know Disney who owned the Cosmos wouldn't ming getting back into pro Soccer again as they were the only company to make a profit. And with their money we could finaly have a championship back in New York.
With separate mega clubs from around giving some support/affiliation to American clubs, New York could not gain an advantage financially over other teams. Celtic in Boston, Man United in NYC, or maybe even a second club in NYC (Arsenal Maybe), Real Madrid in Miami etc. etc....this sort of situation would automaticallly give the league parity.

Though I heed your warning about the Cosmos situation. We have to avoid that at all costs in order to make Pro Soccer in America work. I still have some problems with the set-up.

1. The immediately set up the league to 'draw in' new fans rather than cater to the existing soccer fan base.

2. They should have set up as they do in other countries under the tutelage of the US Soccer Federation. I don't know all the details, but as far as I can see, it's created a dual hierarchy that could lead to problems and quite frankly it's another trap/problem that could have been avoided.

3. The names, colours...etc. Nothing infuriates me more. I mean really, the 'Mutiny'? Who in God's good name would want to support a 'team' that represents a 'mutiny'? And what the hell is a 'crew'? People go to a sporting event to forget about work. Spartans, Wolverines, Bruins, Fighting Irish, these are 'fighting' names that have some honour and sense. I always thought calling the New England team 'Oneida FC' or 'St. Pat's' or ask if the Boston Celtics or Bruins if they'd want to get involved would be a masterstroke. Maybe I"m wrong who knows, but I believe that this would have made a major difference.

4. Equating the women's game with the men's game. Nothing plays more to the existing prejudice that soccer is soft game than the notion that it's played 'equally' by both girls and boys. I know some won't like hearing this but everywhere else soccer is a hard man's game and quite frankly MLS could have done a better job to fight this problem.

5. The reffing. But that's a problem everywhere and probably worthy of it's own thread.

Cheers and let's pray the game survives at the pro level and grows.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Post here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts