Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Captain of the Polish National team will be responsable for nurturing Teen sensation Freddy Adu.

D.C. United hires Nowak as coach

WASHINGTON (Jan. 7, 2004) (AP) _ Former Poland captain Peter Nowak was hired Wednesday as the coach of D.C. United, giving him the job of nurturing the talent of teenage phenom Freddy Adu.
Nowak replaces Ray Hudson, whose contract was not renewed following the 2003 season.

This is the first coaching job for Nowak, 39, a standout player for 23 years who spent five years in the German Bundesliga. He retired in 2002 after five seasons in Major League Soccer with the Chicago Fire. He worked in the Fire's front office last season.

Nowak made 24 appearances for Poland and scored three goals. He was named player of the year in Poland in 1996.

``This will be a new challenge for me,'' Nowak said. ``However, I've built my whole career on meeting such challenges and establishing a winning mentality. I expect things to be no different here.''

Nowak's biggest challenge will be how to handle Adu, the 14-year-old prodigy who next season will become the youngest player in MLS history. Adu will be United's No. 1 overall pick in the upcoming league draft.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts