Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our opening qualifying game. 3 points and out would do nicely.

Questa la lista dei convocati:

Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), Amelia (Palermo), De Sanctis (Galatasaray);
Difensori: Barzagli (Wolfsburg), Cannavaro (Real Madrid), Cassetti (Roma), Dossena (Liverpool), Gamberini (Fiorentina), Grosso (Olympique Lione), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Zambrotta (Milan);
Centrocampisti: Aquilani (Roma), Camoranesi (Juventus), De Rossi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pirlo (Milan);
Attaccanti: Del Piero (Juventus), Di Natale (Udinese), Gilardino (Fiorentina), Iaquinta (Juventus), Toni (Bayern Monaco)..

Same 'old' team, but my choice would be:

Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Gamberini, Dossena; Camoranesi, Aquilani, De Rossi, Di Natale; Toni, Gilardino.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I would go with

Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Gamberini, Grosso; Aquilani, De Rossi, Pirlo; Camoranesi; Di Natale, Toni

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want 2 strikers... Ive had enough of playing so many midfielders who cant/dont score.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
This weekend, the Azzurri begin the defence of the trophy they won in Germany two years ago, as they travel to Cyprus for their opening 2010 World Cup qualifier.

World Cup winning Italy coach Lippi, who has returned for a second spell in charge, has been criticised in some quarters for not picking many young players, and instead largely sticking to the old guard who failed at Euro 2008.

“I have nothing against the people who didn't make it,” Lippi told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“For one thing I would have called Riccardo Montolivo and Giuseppe Rossi if they were available.

“I am also watching Mario Balotelli because he is a promising youngster. I like him a lot and I think he'll become an important player.”

Lippi also explained the exclusions of Massimo Ambrosini and Marco Materazzi.

“I respect Ambrosini as a player and a professional but I have to make my decisions,” he continued.

“As for Marco, he is still suffering from an injury and I would rather call Fabio Cannavaro and not take any risks.

Lippi then warned his players not to take the match against Cyprus for granted, or else a shock could be in store.

“The more we think it will be easy, the more difficult it will be,” the 60-year-old noted.

“This is the first game on the road to repeating Berlin. I didn't just come back to win but to rebuild a winning foundation.

“However, we will remember that we have the world champions' logo on our shirts and we will be united and full of intent.”

-----------------------

Hopefully he is pressured even more to pick young players.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
This weekend, the Azzurri begin the defence of the trophy they won in Germany two years ago, as they travel to Cyprus for their opening 2010 World Cup qualifier.

World Cup winning Italy coach Lippi, who has returned for a second spell in charge, has been criticised in some quarters for not picking many young players, and instead largely sticking to the old guard who failed at Euro 2008.

“I have nothing against the people who didn't make it,” Lippi told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“For one thing I would have called Riccardo Montolivo and Giuseppe Rossi if they were available.

“I am also watching Mario Balotelli because he is a promising youngster. I like him a lot and I think he'll become an important player.”

Lippi also explained the exclusions of Massimo Ambrosini and Marco Materazzi.

“I respect Ambrosini as a player and a professional but I have to make my decisions,” he continued.

“As for Marco, he is still suffering from an injury and I would rather call Fabio Cannavaro and not take any risks.

Lippi then warned his players not to take the match against Cyprus for granted, or else a shock could be in store.

“The more we think it will be easy, the more difficult it will be,” the 60-year-old noted.

“This is the first game on the road to repeating Berlin. I didn't just come back to win but to rebuild a winning foundation.

“However, we will remember that we have the world champions' logo on our shirts and we will be united and full of intent.”

-----------------------

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Same 'old' team, but my choice would be:

Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Gamberini, Dossena; Camoranesi, Aquilani, De Rossi, Di Natale; Toni, Gilardino.
Can't believe you'd take Dossena over Grosso for this game. He has been mediocre whenever I saw him play with Liverpool.

Lippi should've picked Balotelli.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like Dossena, Grosso was/is hardly anything great for Lyon because Italians in other leagues dont seem to always cut it. However in the Italian NT all the full-backs play the same way, I dont mind either, but Id prefer to test the 26 year old, especially against Cyprus.

As for Lippi quote on Materazzi... I hope he never calls him again, he will be 37 by World Cup 2010... Panucci is more stable anyway now if we want an old guy :pp

·
Banned
110 Posts
-----------------------
I'm not on this band wagon. I don't want him to pick young players just for the sake of picking young players. Like Donadoni, I'd like to see him integrate players into the team based on their merit and with the experienced players around long enough to pass on some of their experience on. Players like Aquilani, and finally Chiellini have made their way into the team well earned. Cassano looked to have been earning a spot as well, but he'll have to convince Lippi again. It won't be easy because we all know that Lippi values cohesion above all other things, and Cassano will need to be on his best behaviour in Serie A because any dissention towards Lippi or any other player will effectively cancel any opportunity that he could have.

Further to that, Lippi has already said that he is looking at Montolivo, Rossi and possibly Balotelli. He's called Gamberini, and some others.

Give him his due.

He did the same from 04-06, slowly turning over the some players in favor of others. He'll do the same here. Only the youngsters that are capable of handling the job should get the call, and I believe that they will.

Gilardino will have a reinassance at Fiorentina and under Lippi! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I just hope we don't play that ridiculous 433 formation again which proved to be NOT our winning tactic. Give me a classic 442 and you will see us reinvigorated and back playing world class football. Drop Toni please, he is trash and call up Giuseppe Rossi, he deserves it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Rai really screwing there International customers by not showing this game on Rai 1. What a waste.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probable team:

Buffon; Zambrotta, Gamberini, Cannavaro, Grosso; Camoranesi, Pirlo, De Rossi, Di Natale; Toni, Gilardino.

Very good.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
I read on channel4 that it would perhaps be a 4-2-2-2 but surely it should be a conventional 4-4-2, Camo acting as a normal wide right and Di Natale cutting in from the left flank.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah its basically a 4-4-2, you can make as many crappy numbers as you want, but its a 4-4-2 :D

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
For the Italian NT fans in the UK, if you've got Sky this game is on Sportsxchange(channel 456).

Was flicking through channels this morning and noticed it, hopefully this becomes useful for someone. :)

1 - 20 of 117 Posts