Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that anybody outside Flanders cares about young strong men driving around in the woods or in the fields (the more mud the better :D) on normal race bikes (no Mountain bikes for us although we have th worldchapion there too :)), but here it is one of the most popular sports around (think crowds as big as in the Tour of Flanders).
This time the WC was in Pont Chateaux in France and after wins in the Junior championship (Niels Alberts) and the -23 (Kevin Pauwels) Belgium, just like last year, took the entire podium with the profs. The new worldchampion is the old one, after 21 wins this season, the first place in the Supperprestige, the GvA-throphee,... :star: Bart Wellens :star: took the win in a breath-taking sprint over Mario De Clerq and Sven Van Tourenhout

:proud:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
I like this sport, really impressing, it´s pretty popular in the basque country aswell. Well congrats for Wellens and the belgians, they keep on dominating.:cool:

Our man, David Seco, didn´t have his day..:(

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
I liked it in the past, but in the last few years it has more become an Open Belgian Championship. Great for the Belgians of course, but if you're supporting another country not. I'm at least glad that Wellens won it and De Clerc, although the best option would have been Nijs since he still is without a title.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chivu said:
I liked it in the past, but in the last few years it has more become an Open Belgian Championship. Great for the Belgians of course, but if you're supporting another country not.
I agree with you. Not only does it make it less exciting when you know beforehand that a countryman is going to win, it also endangers the sport since it makes it less interesting for the other countries to participate and to gain an audience. Unfortunately it looks like the next generation and the one after that will be dominated by Belgians again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts