Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise that this might not an exciting thread, but I still want your opinions.

After reading LB's comments in the Southampton match thread, I found an interesting piont he made abt the current backline we are employing for the first team matches.

As for the last two games, we have employed a backline of Carra-Hyppia-Pelle-Riise/Traore. There are no arguments on the left side of defence.

However, LB pointed out that the Carra-Hyppia stability should not have been tinkered with. I agree, mainly for the reason of mobility and agility.

Our defence has been balanced before then because the rather slow centerbacks are being offset by the mobile fullbacks. Thus we do not have to worry for cover in case sth goes wrong. With Finnan out, Rafa employed Pelle to maintain the balance of the original backline, which backfired (nothing against Pelle as he's new here). The mainmotivating reason for that would probably be Pelle's tactical awareness, his height and experience.

However, in cases where we were not able to control the midfield and lessen the burden on the defence, his limitations come to the fore alarmingly. This is why I feel that having a Raven-Carra-Hyppia-Riise/Traore backline would probably a more safer bet.

Raven would, on paper, be the ideal temp replacement for Finnan as he is as quick and mobile as Finnan is, although short on experience and temparament, which he makes up with enthusiasm and youthful energy.

What do you guys think?

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Rafa had two options.. both were risks.. the first was starting Pelle and shuffling the defence such that Carra is our RB.. thus breaking the Hyypia-Carra partnership.. and relying on Pelle when he's brand new to EPL footie.. but has the experience which could help us out.. the other was keeping the central pair.. and bringing in a rookie such as Raven or Otsemebor at RB.. same as above.. brand new to EPL footie (it's certainly different than Reserves footie.. just ask Mellor!) and lacking experience..

He opted to what he felt most comfortable with.. and sadly that back fired.. but I don't think it would've been any better with Raven starting.. imagining what C. Ronaldo or Rooney would do to the kid in that first game..

Team selection will become more troublesome now that Hyypia's injured..

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I believe we got Pellegrino for two reasons..
a) Cover for our defence in case of injuries
b) With his Rafa experience.. he can 'tutor' some of the lads, especially the young ones, as to how Rafa wants his defence to be

I don't think any of us believe Pelle is the new Sol Campbell or Nesta.. we all know he's 33.. and Rafa is the 1st one who knows that too.. he's not our solution to our defensive options.. but there will be use from him.. especially now with our injuries at the back..

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I thought we had established that the youth players were not good enough, destroyed by Houllier who didn't play them (although why he would play them if they're not good enough is anyones guess.

Oh and how exactly did playing playing Pellegrino backfire against Man Utd, unless I'm very much mistaken they had one shot on target (although they did hit the bar) and that was a speculative shot that led to a Dudek mistake.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Do you feel our defence looks solid with Pellegrino? Against Man Utd the one who was doing most of the work in defence was Carragher and he had to do it from right back. Pellegrino and Hyypia were either in each other's feet or way off pace. Pellegrino is too slow to play with Hyypia.

I've seen Raven play only once, that was today, and he looked shaky but that's understandable. Where has that Otsembor guy dissapeared? In any case, I'd take EITHER of them instead of Carragher at RB and the Dinosaur Brothers as CB (since Henchoz's career at Liverpool is over). Hell, play Biscan at RB!

Traore is crap. He was crap, he is crap and he will always be crap. Riise at LB even if that means we have no left midfielder.

Whoever - Carragher - Hyypia - Riise

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
Do you feel our defence looks solid with Pellegrino? Against Man Utd the one who was doing most of the work in defence was Carragher and he had to do it from right back. Pellegrino and Hyypia were either in each other's feet or way off pace. Pellegrino is too slow to play with Hyypia.

I've seen Raven play only once, that was today, and he looked shaky but that's understandable. Where has that Otsembor guy dissapeared? In any case, I'd take EITHER of them instead of Carragher at RB and the Dinosaur Brothers as CB (since Henchoz's career at Liverpool is over). Hell, play Biscan at RB!

Traore is crap. He was crap, he is crap and he will always be crap. Riise at LB even if that means we have no left midfielder.

Whoever - Carragher - Hyypia - Riise
Asking Biscan to play anywhere in the backline is a bad mistake. I'm sure you were in an uproar when he tripped the guy in the L'OM game last year and got sent off, if you were watching it. Ostemboor at RB would be decent but i don't see him playing he was sent off on loan and now he's back but obviously Rafa didn't think too highly of him which is why he was on loan in the first place.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Did we play Pellegrino in the center w/ Hyypia and Carragher on the right again? As everyone has said why break up Carra/Hyypia and although I think Pellegrino can be good for us as a fill in he doesn't have enough pace to play w/ Hyypia. If Hyypia were to be injured and he played w/ Carra or a pacier CB then it might be alright. Does anoyone know when Finnan is supposed to be back? I think that he could definitely help out our defensive problem big time. For the rest of the season I have faith in the Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Riise lineup with a new quality center back being looked at for a summer purchase.

-Scott

·
Registered
94 Posts
The problem with our defense is Pace. Hyypia, Pellegrino, and Carragher and Finnan to an extent aren't very fast. We need some one to replace Hyypia, but who has a physical presence and speed someone like say Mellberg or Gallas. For the Fullbacks Finnan is a great RightBack, and Raven can easily deputise when needed. For Leftback I'm sure Riise can do the job when Kewell is back. But if Riise is going to be the LM, with some experience I'm sure Warnock can do the job. Traore made that big error, but hes been pretty solid throughout the season and can be an asset. Also, Vignal rejected a new contract from Rangers, so he could also given a shot. As for Otsemobor he was very good when he came in last season, and I believe he still has a future here at LFC. If we signed Mellberg my back line would be

Finnan Carragher Mellberg Warnock/Riise

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
When everyones fit our defence should be [Finnan--Carra--Hyypia--Riise], IMO we deffinetley need atleast one center back, and atleast one RB or LB.

With our current injurt predicament, the defence should be [Raven--Carra--Hyypia--Warnock] Pellegrino and Hyypia should never be played together again they are just to slow and I think it was a big mistake moving Carragher back to right back after he had got used to the center back position.

·
Registered
996 Posts
That's good to hear. I just read that Hyypia is injured and won't play in the second leg of our Carling Cup match. Hopefully he's back for our next Premierhsip match. .tv was predicting a lineup of Carragher-Pellegrino-Traore-Risse for our Carling Cup match. Kind of a scary back line if you ask me. I really hope we can be back to our traditional back line as soon as possible (realling hoping that's possible for our match against Charlton).

-Scott

·
Registered
108 Posts
Raven - Carra - Pellegrino - Riise

Even though I think Riise is a good left mid. He is better at defending than Warnock.
I'd like to see us pick up a younger Center. But I suppose Rafa picked Pelle for experience. Only a loan.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I actually think Olaf Mellberg would be excellent for us.. he's a very good defender, a leader and has loads of EPL experience.. so there's no need to adjust.. he looked VERY frustrated in the Man U game 2 days ago.. but there's a big IF over whether Villa would sell their captain..

CR, anyone (maybe not u) who saw the Man U game would say our defence didn't look rock solid at all.. Pelle in person didn't have an excellent game either.. his long balls were all straight to the keeper (as they were in the Saints game) and he always looked a yard behind the game.. btw, when did I establish that our young lads are crap? Do not generalize someone's opinion on the whole forum :) God forbid, if that might happen, ur views would be generalized on us too :D (kidding)

I've heard Traore will be given the center back role with Pelle.. which is REALLY scary!!... I would go with Carra and Pelle in the middle.. with Raven on the right.. actually looked OK against the Saints..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts