Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cuper to take charge of Argentina? Wednesday 12 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are reports that Hector Cuper will take over from Marcelo Bielsa on the Argentina bench after their shock World Cup exit.

¡§What Coach would not say yes to an offer like that?¡¨ confessed the Inter boss this evening.

¡§I would be very happy if my country were to call me, as it would be an important sign of their respect and appreciation. I¡¦m certain an Italian tactician would have similar emotions if contacted by the FA.¡¨

¡§However,¡¨ he added, ¡§I know nothing of Argentina¡¦s interest for me. And in any case I still have another year on my contract with Inter.¡¨

Cuper is one of the world¡¦s most respected managers after taking Spanish club sides Real Majorca and Valencia to three consecutive European Finals.

The Argentine would be the prime candidate to replace Bielsa at the helm of a team in disarray following their early exit from a tournament they were expected to win.

¡§It was a terrible disappointment,¡¨ admitted Cuper, ¡§as we all thought Argentina could be World Champions. I haven¡¦t been to bed, not before nor after today¡¦s match.¡¨

The game was played with an evening kick-off, but in Argentina it was at 3.30am.

¡§It had seemed like a relaxed enough lead-up to the crunch tie with Sweden,¡¨ he explained. ¡§I saw my assistant manager Mario Gomez, played football with friends and went out for a pizza before the match.¡¨

¡§It¡¦s a terrible disappointment. I¡¦m not sure that in the last eight World Cups Argentina have ever gone out in the first round, let alone when they were favourites for the title.¡¨

The South Americans last fell at the first hurdle in 1962, losing out on goal difference to England and Hungary.

Another Argentine close to Inter spoke of his very own ¡¥Annus Horribilis¡¦ after losing the Scudetto in the final game.

¡§This exit really hurt,¡¨ revealed Javier Zanetti. ¡§It closes a season where nothing went my way.¡¨

The 1-1 draw with Sweden was the final straw for their campaign in Japan and Korea.

¡§It¡¦s incredible to go out like this. Sweden never really played, they just sat back and defended while we were terribly unlucky.¡¨

¡§Now my anger and desire to get back on top will fuel next season with Inter. The club will give me the satisfaction that has been sorely missing from my life this year. We are mature enough to win now.¡¨

France were the other favourites eliminated in the first round and Coach Roger Lemerre will be fired this week.

Former Juventus midfielder Didier Deschamps was tipped to be his successor, but his club side Monaco have confirmed the tactician will stay on for another year.

Uruguay Coach Victor Pua has resigned after earning ten wins, eight draws and as many defeats since taking over in February 2001.

According to the local press the candidates to take over include Jorge Fossati, Nacional de Montevideo Coach Hugo de Leon, Panathinaikos boss Sergio Markarian and even Hector Cuper.

channel4
----------------------
what do u guys think about cuper taking charge of argentina?? i certainly don't want him to leave INTER as i m an INTER fan...but do u guys think he would be the right man for argentina?? do u think he is too defensive??

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cuper's too defensive.
If Bielsa is to be replaced I can't think beyond Jose Peckerman, and if that can't happen why not get Alef Basile - in 1994 we played some of our best football under him.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I want Hector Cuper or Bianchi to take after the National team...

Bielsa was a great coach no doubt, he just made me fall in love with Argentina more and more, but in the critical times he unfortunately failed.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I talked with one Argentine guy today (he is a friend of my mate), he saying that the poeple there want Bianchi to take charge of the NT, but as it known... the AFA wants Bielsa to stay.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
definitely has to be Phil Jackson.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phil jackson??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Nice Avatar Humbird ..very emotional one :)

Phil Jackson..yes....or a guy who phils abilities...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I spite of everything, I really like Bielsa but If AFA is going to replace him then they should select Binachi. He is very accomplished. An excellent all around manager that has many many trophies in his life.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Hernan Crespo said:
Bianchi would be great.He is the Boca coach right?yeah we should get him.
bianchi is not bocas coach anymore. oscar washington tabarez replaced in the last torneo clausura.
i d like bianchi to take bielsas place, if he doesnt want to stay. i prefer bielsas style than bianchis. but bianchis personalty is great, he is some kind of cuper (when you are working you just have to work, no jokes and no privileges)

G

·
yes,a serious man.If Bielsa does not want to stay,get it then...although i would prefer Bielsa to stay with us.He did great in the qualifers but not as great in the World Cup.But nonetheless,let's give him another chance.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll Coach Argentina For Free, Says Maradona
News Archive

06/16/2002. Following Argentina's disastrous exit from the 2002 World Cup, 'El Pibe' Diego Armando Maradona would like to take the national selection over from Marcelo Bielsa.

"I'll coach the team for free, I said it before and I'll repeat it. Let me the lead team, and I won't ask for any money in exchange" Maradona announced.

The 1986 World Cup winner and former Napoli star heavily criticized Bielsa following the draw against Sweden as he couldn't understand why the current Argentina trainer decided against fielding Batistuta and Crespo at the same time.

Reports suggest Maradona walked out of the room he was watching the Argentina-Sweden match in after Bielsa took Batistuta off the pitch.

soccerage
---------------------
maradona to take over argentina??? :eek: that would be interesting... :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maradona as coach would be interesting......although normally I would question maradona's committement records with other coaching jobs he has taken over, but I think it has always been different for him when involved with the national team.....wouldn't mind seeing him take over for a while to see if he can produce some magic coaching as he did playing.....it would be cool, 20 years ani (2006) since he won it for us.

G

·
He is the greatest player of all time.It would be great to see the all time legend of Argentina lead us back into glory once again.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
It's fun to think about, but it won't happen. And probably for the best. he was a great player, but since he retired, he's had alot of difficulty and personal instability, which is not what the national team needs.

G

·
He does not have much coaching experience and he may not be a good choice.But i would prefer either Bielsa or Bianchi to coach Argentina.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
nobody loves the NT as much as diego, but i think he is not ready yet.
but who wouldnt like to see diego in argentinas bench. :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I prefer him to take the directore position on thebench, but a coach nuh.

He is nasty enough to not be a good coach :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts