Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cuper to take charge of Argentina? Wednesday 12 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are reports that Hector Cuper will take over from Marcelo Bielsa on the Argentina bench after their shock World Cup exit.

¡§What Coach would not say yes to an offer like that?¡¨ confessed the Inter boss this evening.

¡§I would be very happy if my country were to call me, as it would be an important sign of their respect and appreciation. I¡¦m certain an Italian tactician would have similar emotions if contacted by the FA.¡¨

¡§However,¡¨ he added, ¡§I know nothing of Argentina¡¦s interest for me. And in any case I still have another year on my contract with Inter.¡¨

Cuper is one of the world¡¦s most respected managers after taking Spanish club sides Real Majorca and Valencia to three consecutive European Finals.

The Argentine would be the prime candidate to replace Bielsa at the helm of a team in disarray following their early exit from a tournament they were expected to win.

¡§It was a terrible disappointment,¡¨ admitted Cuper, ¡§as we all thought Argentina could be World Champions. I haven¡¦t been to bed, not before nor after today¡¦s match.¡¨

The game was played with an evening kick-off, but in Argentina it was at 3.30am.

¡§It had seemed like a relaxed enough lead-up to the crunch tie with Sweden,¡¨ he explained. ¡§I saw my assistant manager Mario Gomez, played football with friends and went out for a pizza before the match.¡¨

¡§It¡¦s a terrible disappointment. I¡¦m not sure that in the last eight World Cups Argentina have ever gone out in the first round, let alone when they were favourites for the title.¡¨

The South Americans last fell at the first hurdle in 1962, losing out on goal difference to England and Hungary.

Another Argentine close to Inter spoke of his very own ¡¥Annus Horribilis¡¦ after losing the Scudetto in the final game.

¡§This exit really hurt,¡¨ revealed Javier Zanetti. ¡§It closes a season where nothing went my way.¡¨

The 1-1 draw with Sweden was the final straw for their campaign in Japan and Korea.

¡§It¡¦s incredible to go out like this. Sweden never really played, they just sat back and defended while we were terribly unlucky.¡¨

¡§Now my anger and desire to get back on top will fuel next season with Inter. The club will give me the satisfaction that has been sorely missing from my life this year. We are mature enough to win now.¡¨

France were the other favourites eliminated in the first round and Coach Roger Lemerre will be fired this week.

Former Juventus midfielder Didier Deschamps was tipped to be his successor, but his club side Monaco have confirmed the tactician will stay on for another year.

Uruguay Coach Victor Pua has resigned after earning ten wins, eight draws and as many defeats since taking over in February 2001.

According to the local press the candidates to take over include Jorge Fossati, Nacional de Montevideo Coach Hugo de Leon, Panathinaikos boss Sergio Markarian and even Hector Cuper.

channel4
-----------------------------
i say give him a contract extension and give all the money he wants...u hear me, moratti??? :fero:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Without Hector Cuper it will be difficult to win the scudetto next season..:( .........but I think he might stay at Inter for a long time actually.:)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inter call on Eriksson Wednesday 19 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are reports that Sven Goran Eriksson will return to Serie A as Hector Cuper takes the Argentina job.

It is claimed that the former Lazio, Roma and Sampdoria tactician will leave the England post after the World Cup following difficulties in settling in.

Eriksson¡¦s run-ins with the press regarding his alleged fling with fellow Swede Ulrika Jonsson could have convinced the Coach to stage an Italian comeback.

The Scudetto winner had left Lazio in order to become England¡¦s first ever foreign manager at the start of last season.

Meanwhile, while one Coach goes from the international scene to club football, another is set to move in the other direction.

Cuper has been heavily linked with the Argentina post after their shock elimination in the first round of a World Cup they were expected to win with ease.

¡§What manager could say no to his country?¡¨ commented the former Valencia boss last week, ¡§but I do not know of the FA¡¦s interest in me.¡¨

It¡¦s reported that Inter President Massimo Moratti would be willing to let him go, particularly following their last day Scudetto defeat, but first wishes to seal a verbal agreement with Eriksson.

Cuper has been at the Inter helm for just one season and seems set to replace Marcelo Bielsa on the Argentine bench.

channel4 :dazed:

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Julio Grondona has offered Jose Pekerman the Job Officially its a Matter of Perkerman rejecting or Accepting the offer. The AFA President announced this on the Radio, today.

So It depends on Perkerman wether if Cuper is a real candidate or not. Grondona is expecting an answer in next 2 days

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cuper rules out Argentina move Tuesday 25 June, 2002

Hector Cuper will not leave Inter to take charge of Argentina according to reports in South America.

The Nerazzurri boss is a candidate for the top job after Marcelo Bielsa failed to guide his side past the first round of the 2002 World Cup.

But despite being linked with the position, Cuper has told ¡¥Globo On Line¡¦ that he will continue in his role with his Italian club side.

"I¡¦m very happy that I have been linked with the job to lead the national team," he is quoted as saying.

"But I can¡¦t even consider the possibility at the moment because I still have a year left on my current contract with Inter."

The Coach only arrived in Italy last summer after he joined the club from Spanish side Valencia to replace Marco Tardelli.

His first season in Serie A ended with a respectable third place finish even if they would have collected the championship had they won ¡V and not lost 4-2 ¡V at Lazio on the final day of the campaign.

Reports recently had suggested that should Cuper take the Argentina job then Sven Goran Eriksson would become a target for the San Siro giants.

channel4 ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts