Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hector Cuper prepares for the final weeks of the season and assures that Inter will go all the way in Italy and Europe.

Ronaldo has been called up for Thursday’s UEFA Cup Semi-Final first leg against Feyenoord, but the Coach refused to confirm whether he would actually step onto the San Siro pitch.

“We’ll see after the training session,” explained the former Valencia boss. “If Ronaldo is well then he can make the difference. I am not the only man to say this. Everyone knows it is true.”

Clarence Seedorf is also in doubt while Christian Vieri has been sent into the stands. “The players who are physically fit will start. There is no pre-planned rotation of the squad.”

The 1998 UEFA Cup is the last trophy to enter the Inter cabinet, but Cuper intends to change all that this season with both European glory and the Scudetto.

First of all they must eliminate Feyenoord from the competition. “The Dutch team is very good at holding onto the ball. They start their forward moves with strong build-up play and have some technically gifted players.”

“Their number nine is very impressive, while Emerton is also an attacking danger in the right-back position. I saw them six times,” continued Cuper, “twice in the stadium and four times on video.”

If they succeed, this will be the fourth consecutive European Final for Cuper after the runner-up prizes with Real Mallorca and Valencia.

“I am not thinking of the Final yet,” assured the Coach. “I am thinking only of the 180 minutes against Feyenoord, then we will see if we are in the Final or not.”

Some have suggested that the close title race in Serie A could distract the Nerazzurri. “This is a very important game for us. We are extremely interested in the UEFA Cup.”

“We are optimistic of winning both trophies,” assured Cuper. “I recognise that there is some tension around the team, but it is best to be kept on our toes like this. It provides them with an extra motivation.”

“We are all very happy with the form Inter are going through. If we should end up not winning anything this season, it would still be a good experience. But we are counting on lifting both trophies.”

Cuper also conceded that the final weeks would be the toughest as Inter inch closer to the Italian title this club last held in 1989.

“The team feels this responsibility because we are so close to the end of the season. It is normal that the players, fans and myself all feel that pressure as this is a very important moment in our history. We saw all of that in last week’s 1-0 win at Fiorentina.”

The 2002 World Cup is also looming and last week Giovanni Trapattoni admitted his Italy squad was influenced by Inter’s successful campaign.

However, Cuper joked, “Trapattoni does not copy from Inter, I am the one who copies him.”

Francesco Toldo and Francisco Farinos are suspended for the Feyenoord clash, but the starting front two is likely to be Nicola Ventola and Mohamed Kallon. Javier Zanetti is still struggling with an injury.

The 19-man squad called up for Thursday’s UEFA Cup Semi-Final against Feyenoord is:

G: Fontana, Moreau

D: Cordoba, Simic, Materazzi, Gresko, Ferraro

M: C Zanetti, Conceicao, Seedorf, Guly, Di Biagio, Dalmat, Emre, Okan

F: Kallon, Recoba, Ventola, Ronaldo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts