Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sky sports
Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United will do well to lift a trophy this season due to the increased competition for the top prizes.

The Red Devils boss refused to accept that the Carling Cup is a lesser prize after the club crashed out of the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup prematurely, and are well adrift of champions Chelsea in the race for the Premiership title.

With Wigan Athletic providing the opposition at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on Sunday, live on Sky Sports 1, the United manager wants his side to take the opportunity to win the competition for only the second time in their illustrious history.

"There are only four trophies available every year," he reasoned. "And, with the competition now generated in the Premier League and the money thrown at it, not just by Manchester United and Chelsea but by all clubs, there is a tremendous demand and pressure on all these clubs with great histories to deliver and win a trophy.

"With that kind of competition we face nowadays, winning one trophy is good, I'm telling you.

"No matter what it is, you have to take that as a successful season because there are teams who are not going to win a trophy this year - big clubs, maybe not as world-renowned as Manchester United, but certainly big, big clubs with great histories."

Although some pundits and supporters will question whether 2005/2006 will go down as a successful season for United, even with victory this weekend, defeat would be a massive blow for the Old Trafford outfit.

Ferguson accepts that the glory days will be difficult to recapture but paid tribute to Wigan ahead of the big game.

"We had a great spell in the 1990s, a phenomenal spell," he stated. "But from that moment on of winning the European Cup, there was a catch-up by all clubs, realising that a British team could win the European Cup.

"It was great for British football because of that, but it also created a far bigger demand from other clubs to do the same and we are facing stiffer opposition now.

"It's quite right that Wigan are bringing a bit of romance to it with what they have achieved over the years and where they started from, coming into the League in 1977.

"The drive of Dave Whelan and the management of Paul Jewell have made them an outstanding team this year.

"Quite rightly the whole country will be behind them, and I think that's good."
The carling cup is now a successful season? :googly:

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
with this midfield, a trophy and second place is a successful season.

However, with the united standards which should be being upheld, a carling cup is not a successful season.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
You have to take into consideration our situation Kyle.

And have we even won it?

Show the pie eaters some respect! :D

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Fulham have a better midfield than us, Claus Jensen is damn underrated. :thumbsup:

And don't forgot King Malbranque.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Once upon a time, Fergie took the boys to the World Club Championship rather than compete in the F.A. Cup.

Now, the F.A. Cup's poor cousin is a success. My lord.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Manchester_Utd said:
Once upon a time, Fergie took the boys to the World Club Championship rather than compete in the F.A. Cup.

Now, the F.A. Cup's poor cousin is a success. My lord.
We forced or obliged by the fa to go so england would have a better chance at hosting the world cup in 2006.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Shit Cup deserving for a Shit Season thanks to a Shit midfield.

A lot of work to be done ahead but we can use it as a tea-pot if we ever run out of 'em at OT!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
This season we have been dogged by injuries and an inconsistent midfield. Any silverware that can be won is an achievment, including the carling cup.

But our priorities are the premiership and champions league.
anything else is an achievement but is doesnt rank as high

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
If we had a decent chance of winning anything else this season then I would have put Wigan on equal footing for the game simply because of the heart with which they'll play on Sunday. However, this is our only chance of silverware and all the superstars in our team will be aware of it and hence I expect them to raise the bar a notch like all top players do. So no disrespect to Wigan but I just can't see it happening for them.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Succesful season my arse.

Its a feckin mickey mouse cup....just hopefully we get a new midfield and can challenge for the league and do alright in Europe in the upcoming years, because this season was / is sad.

Getting trounced by Boro, losing the title by november, being the wipping boys in a pish CL group, losing Keano, getting knocked out by pool...:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts