1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
German Cup Final Preview:
Bayer Leverkusen - Schalke 04

BACKGROUND

Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke 04 will lock horns in Berlin's Olympiastadion on Saturday in what promises to be a memorable German Cup final, considering that both side's have a proven propensity for scintillating attacking football.

Whereas Hertha Berlin-bound Schalke boss Huub Stevens would love to successfully defend the DfB Pokal as his departing gift to the traditional Ruhr Valley club whom he owes so much, 'Neverkusen' chief Klaus Toppmoeller is determined to emerge victorious in order to help ease the pain of narrowly missing out on yet another Bundesliga title.

Leverkusen will at least have the Champions League final to look forward to should they fail to overcome Schalke, but it is difficult to imagine Ballack and the boys will be able to dig deep enough within themselves to achieve a massive upset against Real Madrid on Wednesday, should they suffer the psychologically damaging effects of falling at a final hurdle once again.

"It was a flood of tears in the dressing room last Saturday, no-one could really believe that once again we had finished runners-up," said Ballack. "However the Champions League final is the one we really have to be back to our best form for mentally and physically though winning the Cup would obviously be a remedy to our morale."

Bayer will be at full strength on Saturday, barring of course the injury-forced absence of their inspirational skipper Jens Nowotny, who will be replaced in the centre of defense by Croatian international Boris Zivkovic.

On the Schalke side of things, there are still questions whether Emile Mpenza will get the nod to start. Victor Agali is ready to fill in up-front alongside Ebbe Sand, should the Belgian bomber be declared not yet sufficiently recovered from his stubborn thigh injury.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

Bayer Leverkusen have too good a side to be denied any silverware this year and Toppmoeller is too good a man-motivator to allow his troops to think otherwise. We are predicting that Bayer will edge Schalke in a 3-2 thriller.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

Schalke 04: Reck - Waldoch, Van Hoogdalem, Van Kerckhoven, Oude Kamphuis - Wilmots, Asamoah, Molller, Bohme - Sand, Mpenza (Agali)

Leverkusen: Butt - Placente, Lucio, Zivkovic, Schneider - Ze Roberto, Ballack, Ramelow, Basturk - Kirsten, Neuville

Bayer are slight favourites IMO, but Schalke was very strong in the 2nd half of the season and Leverkusens Nowotny is injured so it will be a close match.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That's on of these matches I would like to see two winners. Usually I would rather cheer for Schalke since many of my mates are Schalke fans but in this case I'd prefer Bayer somehow to get the cup.
Anyway the match should get quite interesting. I think Bayer has slightly better chances. Let's see what happens.:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Halftime and it's 1-1
Berbatov scored for Bayer in the 27th minute and Schalke's Böhme equalized just before halftime.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
After 90 minutes: 4-2
Congratulations to Schalke for winning the DFB cup again this year:)

27' 0-1 Berbatov
45' 1-1 Böhme
69' 2-1 Agali
71' 3-1 Möller
85' 4-1 Sand
89' 4-2 Kirsten

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one eye laughing :) and one crying :cry: !

Schalke, the partner club of Nürnberg won it, but Leverkusen lost...

It really sucks to see how they are suffering! :frustrat:

My only hope is they will win CL and kick ****ing Real out!

I think there is still hope! Look at Valencia, they were loosers for years, but now they are champions! So never give up!:fero: :stuckup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
If Bayer lost against Real Madrid....then id really go mad.........its really unfair........I sympathize with these guys a lot.
Congratulations Schalke.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Firstly,congrats. go to Schalke.

But,i am truly sorry for all the Leverkusen fans,team & coaching staff.To do so well this season...and now it begins to fall apart:( .

I guess it shows how important a strong big squad is in the modern game.All i hope is that somehow they can lift themselves 1 last time...and despite adversity once again overcome the odds.
It is the very least their heroics deserve - i say this as a Liverpool fan - this team does not deserve to be deprived of a trophy of some kind or other this season.They have been a great example to all clubs this year.Again,congratulations to Schalke,and comiserations to BL,but the best of luck to you in the CL final:hopefull: :) .

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
LIT said:
I have one eye laughing :) and one crying :cry: !

Schalke, the partner club of Nürnberg won it, but Leverkusen lost...

It really sucks to see how they are suffering! :frustrat:

My only hope is they will win CL and kick ****ing Real out!

I think there is still hope! Look at Valencia, they were loosers for years, but now they are champions! So never give up!:fero: :stuckup:
hehe, we won! :happy: Shame about Bayer though, especially in the CL. I mean, did Real play like CL-winners? Noooo! They'd better thank their lucky stars (and Casillas) for pulling out that win for them.

But the main thing is: Schalke won the cup! :) And my man Sven Vermant gave a beautiful assist for Ebbe on the fourth goal. :happy: :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.