Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For our cultured and well read members ;)

Enjoy :)

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Gibran Khalil Gibran :proud:

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
That's one author that I've never read - I keep meaning too, but never getting around to it!

Thanks Hijazzey! :)

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Beautiful Idea, really.

It's going to be the most successful thread in these forums.

Mahmoud Dardwish.

Are you guys going to translate the Arabic authors and poets works?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Hey Pooh, suggest something to us from the Argentinian literature(?) or Argentinian writers. I'd be very interested. In fact, very very interested. And don't worry about the translation, I'll get someone to help me, don't worry, just name some of the writers/books.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Keep it friendly boys! :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Ok, what was the last (or current) book you are reading?

I've just finished International Politics of the Middle East, Raymond Hinnebusch (highly recommend it to anyone) and have just started Freya Stark's travel work on Luristan and "Assassin" country called Valley of the Assassins.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Sabry said:
Nothing on top of your head right now?

God bless google.
I thought you was seious but no, you insist on being a smartass.

I was working on the introduction of Emilio Rodrigue's book(He is the very famous 81 years Argentine psychiatrist)SEPARATION NECESSAIRES-memoires, but not anymore.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest, I'm not that well read in Arabic. I only became interested in reading when I was in Uni, so most of what I've read is in English. However I did read a lot of teen crime novels in arabic when I was growing up, like the "13 devils" series. Anyone remembers them :D ?

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was good too :D .

On a serious note, I am planning to expand the Arabic section of my book collection. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Mahmoud Darwish books always deserve reading. I recommend "The memory of forgetting" "Dhakirt El-Nisian" I believe you would spend some good time getting what he is pointing to, but when you finish it you will read it again and again.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
There are the "classic" arab authors such as Gibran and Naguib Mahfouz who would be a good start.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Do you guys know where can I order Arabic books over the internet? Is there an Arab equivalent to Amazon.com? Its highly unlikely that I'll be back in the ME any time soon, and I don't want to be waiting for 2-3 more years..

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eekani:

One more question, did you try ordering anything from them? I mean, do they get the books delivered on time, or do they end up taking over your credit card :D

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
What are you planning on ordering Sabry? Anything I might know? Or weird detective books?

HiJazzey, you ever popped into Al-Saqi (Westbourne Grove) or Huda (Charing Cross Road)? They are really good bookshops!

1 - 20 of 143 Posts