Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We go into this game knowing that we need to win it to keep our hopes of CL football alive. Everton have a home game vs. Birmingham and after beating Man Utd they're probably not low on confidence.

Nevertheless, we should do our best in this game and the remaining games of the season, and hopefully things will turn our way, Today's game will not be easy as CP are fighting against relegation in a very tight zone where 2 points seperate the bottom four sides in the league. They'll give us a hard time perhaps but nevertheless our quality must show and we must win it.

Hopefully Xabi, LG and the lads will perform well and give Chelsea some worries before we meet them @ the bridge on Wednesday :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sadly Birmingham coudn't hold it and finished 1-1. But it's still a chance to cut gap to 1 point! C'mon you Reds! ;)

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently we're not playing all that well, Xabi and LG not playing, Baros got injured, and at the moment it's 1-0 to Palace :(

Don't know what's the formation like, but it could be either having 5 men accross the back OR 3 CBs with wing backs, not sure though :confused:

Our line-up:
Dudek
Finnan
Carragher
Hyypia
Pellegrino
Traore
Gerrard
Welsh
Le Tallec
Baros
Morientes

Subs:
Carson
Riise
Cisse
Biscan
Potter

·
Registered
835 Posts
After such ridiculous results Liverpool doesn't even deserve to get CL place. How many times did they failed to advance on Everton's slip-ups?

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Sadly.. I do agree with vol.. it's as if we're pushing ourselves away from 4th spot..

The idea today was 3 CBs.. and two wing backs.. which ultimately means our wing backs should be going up and down the field and causing the other team's full backs to be pinned back.. sadly.. with Finnan and Traore.. that wasn't the case!!..

Quite a poor performance by a number of our players.. but especially the 2 wing backs.. Riise came on with little effect.. we woke up with 10 minutes to go.. and Gerrard & Potter shots were our best chances..

Palace deserved the win.. superb instinctive header by AJ.. But the point to take is the committment level the Palace players showed.. Hughes is what.. 35? and played with all his heart for all 90 mins.. same for a lot of their players..

Getting 4th spot would be a miracle.. but most importantly.. we don't deserve it!! very lame performance! Rafa looked as pissed as hell from what he saw.. and he should be..

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
RB is taking chances on winning the CL, payed the price by leaving Xabi out against us, and it looks a similer case today. I really thought we were in trouble when we drew.
It will be interesting if Liverpool get a positive result against chelsea - will RB carry on resting players in the prem?

·
Banned
130 Posts
Once again captain unprofessional raises his head, raffa deserves 2 or 3 seasons to get things right, however some of his players have been here too long and must go.

also a part of me wishes we had bought Anelka from City instead of nando

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
After watching this match, I have to say that Liverpool lack huge of depth. It means, for Benitez, his job is like rebuilding the team from start because of the mess caused by Houllier. In his previous club, he basically continues and improved things that brought by Cuper. You better be more patient with him since he will need more time and of course more funds. Building team depth is not a one-year job. It took years for both Wenger and Ferguson to reach the status they have now.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
After watching this match, I have to say that Liverpool lack huge of depth.
They have huge luck of death. And instead of taking advantage of it they commit suicide. Every week.

You don't need a decade to build a team which could avoid series of defeats at bottom or even 2nd level clubs.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
vol said:
After such ridiculous results Liverpool doesn't even deserve to get CL place. How many times did they failed to advance on Everton's slip-ups?
ya thats true :eyepatch:

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:
RB is taking chances on winning the CL, payed the price by leaving Xabi out against us, and it looks a similer case today. I really thought we were in trouble when we drew.
It will be interesting if Liverpool get a positive result against chelsea - will RB carry on resting players in the prem?

he despereated to do that....maybe he more focusing CL rather than EPL itself... :stress: :stress:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
How does it get from this...

vol said:
Sadly Birmingham coudn't hold it and finished 1-1. But it's still a chance to cut gap to 1 point! C'mon you Reds! ;)
to this...

vol said:
They have huge luck of death. And instead of taking advantage of it they commit suicide. Every week.
in a matter of lines?

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
One Man Team- Alonso

****ing crap display you could tell by Rafas post match interview he was pissed off, theres going to be alot of changes in the summer and sadly I can see Gerrard being sacrificed to fund this :(.

Oh and why the **** is Rafa playing Traore at a left wing/wing back role he is absalutely awful.
And why is Cisse being brung on at right wing, I mean its bad enough for the lads being played out of position when he's fully fit nevermind when he's just coming back from a broken leg!

·
International
1,878 Posts
Everton vs Birmingham. Early kick off. Early goal from Heskey. Early hope. Early despair for the Bluenoses.

Then Drunken Ferguson came on and spoiled the party for the Brums. I sat there hoping that Pennant would deliver another killer cross for Heskey to poke the ball into the net and restart the party. But alas! It was not to be.

At the end of the game, I told myself that one point gained for the Bluenoses would still suit us fine. Anyway, Liverpool will be playing Crystal Palace next. I still have fond memories of how Liverpool turned up at Selhurst Park one day and thumped them 9-0. It might be difficult to repeat the score, but at least, three points looked a nice certainty...

Until I saw the team sheet and was wondering to myself if the television network got it all wrong.

Ok. Garcia was injured, not rested, but Alonso is strangely missing. Perhaps he might be on the bench. No. He's not on the bench. Perhaps, not even on the team bus. Fine. Where's Riise? On the bench? Who have we got? Welsh and Potter. Sounds ok.... Hey... What? Pellegrino at left back? Then, what's Traore doing in the first eleven?

Then, it dawned on me.

Perhaps Benitez has a score to settle against Mourinho. Or did he signed a secret pact with David Moyes to give the Bluenoses a taste of the high life? Or is it that he prefers to see Stevie G all dressed up in a predominant blue kit with the words "Fly Emirates" struck across his chest? Or is it because he wanted to prove to all that he is as good a manager as Alan Curbishley in terms of amount spent per club capita?

At the end of the match, I sat on the couch feeling very indifferent. One week ago, I was punching my fist in the air when the referee blew the whistle at Stadio Delle Alphi. One week later, I was stunned into silence as I contemplated the prospect of another sad week for a Liverpool fan.

The dream of finishing fourth is now more or less ending. The Bluenoses will have a field day taunting us "Champions League? We're having a laugh!" (although in return, we should politely ask if Everton had won anything in Europe). Unless we defy the overwhelming odds by showing the West London Moneybags the exit door from Europe first, we will have to put up with watching our team play on Thursdays.

Then again, as this is a transitional season, I am already expecting very little from our patched up and luck-forsaken side. I mean I was predicting that we will be playing in the Inter-Toto cup tournament next season at the very start, so being in the UEFA Cup is fine by me.

However, I cannot help but wonder if Rafa's quote about "Premiership having the priority over the Champions League" was taken out of context.

On another note, it makes the Premiership more interesting, in terms of the relegation dogfight, since the title is heading for Stamford Bridge.

Player ratings:

Dudek(6): Had nothing much to do and was not really at fault for the goal AJ scored. I mean he is no Peter Schmeichel or Petr Cech, ain't he?

Finnan(6): Had a fair outing as the right back. Decent but not exceptional, especially his play further up the pitch.

Hyppia(6): Average.

Carragher (7): Performed better than the rest of his colleagues in defence. Should have been given the captaincy since he scowls less and yells more at his team mates.

Pellegrino (5): Good reading of the game? He has it. Pace? No. Being able to contain the guile of the young Soares or Andy Johnson? No. Then why is he at left back?

Welsh (6): Relatively young and has a lot of matches to play. However, he is no Alonso or Hamann.

Gerard (6): Pass the ball to a team mate. Team mate somehow cannot receive his pass? Scowl. Ref giving the decision to the team in red and blue? Scowl. Shot zipped to the right side of Kiraly's goal? Scowl. I have a nagging feeling that he will be meeting Mr. Abramovich very soon.

Traore (5): His forrays upfield may fool a few Championship defenders or two. His play as left winger may confuse a few reserve league players, but Crystal Palace still are a decent EPL side, relegation battlers or not.

Le Tellec (4): Passes went astray. Crosses meeting the heads or bodies of the Palace players. I give him an "A" for effort. Other than that, I think he really needs more games under his belt.

Baros (6): Did not make too much of an impact when he was on the field.

Morientes (7): His class shone brilliantly throughout the match. Easily the most likely contender to score for us on the pitch. But alas! Kiraly did a "David James against Chelski" on Saturday to us...

Subs:

Potter (6): Youth is his only advantage. Distinctly average.
Riise (6): Game opened up on the left when he came on, but hardly very inspiring stuff...
Ciise (6): Tried and tried and tried and tried to service his Spanish striking partner, but we all know that he is no Thierry Henry... Not at this moment anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts