Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just one goal. That was all that Botafogo needed to classify last Thursday in Maracana. The Botafogo defence played its part in keeping out the Cruzeiro attack, but their attack was confounded by goalkeeper Andre. Cruzeiro will probably now meet Santos, who can lose by up to 3 - 0 to Flamengo on Saturday.

Botafogo’s coach, Joel Santana, set up a defence using three full backs. His idea was to block any scoring by Cruzeiro and to get the one goal needed to classify. However, Botafogo was surprised by a determined and well organised Cruzeiro.

The first half was a let down for the 20,000 Botafogo fans that turned out to see their team play. A lot of activity down the wings but a very congested midfield stymied any real chances. Botafogo tried but failed to breach the Cruzeiro defence. And the team from Minas Gerais were seemingly content to let the game progress at the slow pace it started out at. Even so, Geovani missed a good chance shooting wide after 35 minutes.

Joel changed his tactics at half time taking off full back Jorge Luiz and midfielder Sergio Manoel for more attacking players Rodrigo and Magrao. The substitutions worked and Botafogo created some great opportunities with Alexandre Gaucho and Donizete.

The best of these chances was after 11 minutes of the second half. Donizete crossed from the left. Magrao pushed off Cris but failed to reach the ball, which Rodrigo picked up. The young Botafogo player sparred with Andre and got a shot in. But Antonio Pereira da Silva spotted the foul and disallowed the goal.

It was not only Andre that halted the Botafogo attack, the post played an important role. After 21 minutes Alexandre Gaucho skimmed the woodwork to the fans despair. The rebound was picked up by Donizete whose shot was saved by Andre.

Botafogo kept the pressure on but the goal to classify would not come. Cruzeiro played intelligently, and contained the onslaught and classified deservedly.

The Teams:

Botafogo: Wagner, Vítor, Sandro, Jorge Luis (Magrao) , Valdson, Misso; Reidner, Tinga, Sergio Manoel (Rodrigo); Alexandre Gaucho and Donizete.
Coach: Joel Santana

Cruzeiro: Andre, Rodrigo, Cris, Cleber, Sorin; Donizete, Ricardinho (Marcos Paulo), Jackson, Geovanni; Muller (Viveros) and Oseas (Fabio Junior)
Coach: Marco Aurélio

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty impressive :)

CESF

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...I think I better leave these kind of expertises to Ze :)

Is Parma getting him ?

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Hmmm Ze needs to come with the info so I can pass it on to JG and Villa! :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...but we are coming BIG, we are the Chelsea of Austria since this coming season as we bought 9 (!!) new players Wohlfahrt (national keeper) came back from Stuttgardt, Hiden from Leeds and guys from Holland, Yogoslawia, Bosnia (Varesanovic - looked very strong in test matches, however coming from Bursaspor...), germany, Poland etc, etc....and oh yeah, good old Asanovic...can you believe he did not train for a single second yet. He showed up at first training, did some interviews for 20 minutes and then he LEFT. He still did not come back (10 days of training now) as he is on "private recreation" AND THAT'S THE OFFICIAL STATEMENT, I cannot believe we invested millions in that guy. Probably he heard about these kind of things from Savicevic (the former Milan king). The chap is with my bitter rival club Rapid Vienna. He last season played like three games and has OFFICIAL FREEDOM to train or play whe HE think it's appropriate. These are banana rebublic policies. I laugh about the Savicevic thing and I already hate Asanovic.

CESF

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
You got Mirca Varesanovic? the Bosnian guy? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! he sux! he is the master of own-goals.... :D

Alexx my friend,you are in deep **** with Mirca! HAHAHA! :D

[Edited by AMOROSO! on 24-06-2000 at 16:16]

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Please Alexx do not mention the word Chelsea...I'm allergic to it!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I only saw the last 10 minutes of the game, with Cruzeiro wasting time and Botafogo going forward all the time.
He's a #10 shirt amoroso!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Going homje now to see the game Santos x Flamengo.
HOpe Palmeiras lost to Sao Paulo.
the semis will look interesting:

Atletico-MG x Sao Paulo or Palmeiras

Cruzeiro x Santos or Flamengo

If flamengo get out (which will be the most likely result), no Rio teams will be left...it will be a battle of Minas Gerais x Sao Paulo. This is state rivarly by the way!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts