Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most highly anticipated clash of the NSW Premier League season... for all the wrong reasons. When Sydney United (Croatian) and Bonnyrigg White Eagles (Serbian) supporters saw each other, the shit hit the fan.

Details taken from the NineMSN website...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man charged after soccer riot
08:27 AEDT Mon Mar 14 2005

A west Sydney man will face court next month after a riot involving about 50 fans of rival soccer clubs in the city at the weekend.

The riot erupted about 3pm (AEDT) Sunday, shortly before the start of a NSW Premier League match at the stadium in Edensor Park in south-west Sydney.

Two police officers were injured in the violence, between supporters of the Croatian-backed Sydney United and the Serbian-backed Bonnyrigg White Eagles.

Five people were arrested in the violence, which also involved flares and other projectiles being thrown.

Four were released without charge but a 25-year-old Blacktown man was charged with a string of offences including riot, affray and assault.

He will face Fairfield Local Court on April 4.

The match was the teams' first clash in 22 years, and at least one of the clubs had classed the game as a "high-risk fixture" and had taken precautions.

What will happen when the A-League kicks off? Hopefully these kinds of idiots will stay the hell away ... their presence surely would not be welcome, especially around the Sydney FC supporters.

Still, not surprised it did kick off. It's the same every year at the Raiders-White City matches. :rolleyes:

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
nah thankfully those type brainless idiots are anti A-league and wont turn out to watch the big boys play...

now wheres naum to say, this is nothing to wot will happen wen sth melb play preston bc preston fans are so tough, they look at u and opposition supporters cant make eye contact in fear... :yawn:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What will happen when the A-League kicks off? Hopefully these kinds of idiots will stay the hell away ... their presence surely would not be welcome, especially around the Sydney FC supporters.
The types who start this sh*t aren't likely to be interested in the A League anyway so I wouldn't worry about it really.

The match was the teams' first clash in 22 years, and at least one of the clubs had classed the game as a "high-risk fixture" and had taken precautions.
Just the one eh? Crickey, and the officials will try to wipe their hands off it too. :howler: Total idiots! I mean anyone with half a brain would've put this down as a "high risk" fixture. And wouldn't soccer NSW have been aware of the possibilities of this happening? :lala:

Now for some stuff off TWG site:

It's not clear what fuelled the violence, which saw five arrested and two policemen hurt, but ethnic rivalries are believed to have played a part.
Dumbest comment ever? :rollani:
Soccer NSW president Tom Doumanis has announced an independent inquiry to get to the bottom of the incident and stamp out ‘hooligan behaviour’.
Doumanis said the type of fans that created trouble at games were not welcome and he sent them a simple message: "We don't want you".
"We cannot allow a minority of troublemakers to tarnish the reputation of our competition and bring our game into disrepute," Doumanis said.
"We will look to the national body as well as the state government to join with us in ensuring that people that are banned from the ground are also subject to the full sanctions of the law," Doumanis said
Talk about a knee jerk reaction. What was done to prevent this?? :confused: I mean everyone in oz anticipated sh*t to happen here. Obviously Doumanis wasn't one of them. :rollani:

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
those bloody ex Yugoslavs :shades:

Yeah it's appaling but our new league will have nothing to do with these savages. If anything this violence reinforces the new format of the national competition. The less of those morrons at our games the better.

Anyway just to provide an update on the situation. A car of a Sydney United official that was parked in front of the King Tom club was burned over night which was then followed by a drive by shooting on the White Eagles club. Yours truely heard down the grape wine that some police op was about to take place at roughly 11am this morning near the Eagles club so i put 2 and 2 together and made my way down there :) i witnessed about 15 to 20 cop cars parked behind the club and about 40 to 50 coppers in a hudle, discussing some tactics. Within minutes 3 cop cars drove out and closed a busy Elizabeth Drive and a thorough sweep of the area followed (I'm assuming they were looking for bullet casings). Some real CSI New York shit was going on.

Anyway, that's all from me the neutral correspondent from the Bonnyrigg - Edensor Park war zone.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Seems to be continuing from nine.msn.com

Violence between supporters of two rival Sydney soccer clubs escalated to firebombs and gunshots.

The latest incidents could lead to life bans for offenders, or empty stadiums when the ethnically-based clubs meet again.

A match on Sunday between the Croatian-backed Sydney United and the Serbian-supported Bonnyrigg White Eagles was marred by violent clashes between 50 rival supporters, despite the presence of 100 police and security guards in a crowd of 3,500.

But tensions between the clubs reached potentially deadly heights when a car was burnt out and a clubhouse was peppered with bullets.

Twelve shots were fired into the White Eagles' clubhouse at Bonnyrigg a few hours after a car was set alight outside Sydney United's club in Edensor Park, police said.

The White Eagles' clubhouse, located less than 1km from Sydney United's ground, in Sydney's south-west, was empty at the time of the shooting.

Fairfield Local Area Commander Acting Superintendent Peter Marcon said the shooting appeared to be a tit-for-tat retaliation.

"But I think there are other options we need to look at," Supt Marcon told reporters.

"It could be someone just trying to cause trouble between the groups."

No one was injured in either attack but the escalation had Supt Marcon calling for calm, and NSW Police Minister Carl Scully proposing life bans for sports hooligans.

"If legislation is needed to back up those bans, so that we can enforce it and provide offences of a criminal nature if people insist on visiting grounds that they've been banned from, we'll provide that," Mr Scully said.

The board of Soccer NSW will meet on Wednesday night to set up an inquiry into the violence.

Soccer NSW president Tom Doumanis said the inquiry would investigate the riot at the game and provide recommendations on how to prevent future violence.

"We, of course, will do whatever is necessary to weed out the social and political misfits which have brought our game to where it is today," Mr Doumanis told reporters.

He would not rule out banning all fans from attending subsequent matches between the two clubs.

Supporters on a website chatroom a week before the game gave a clear indication of things to come.

"all serbs b (sic) at the game to help support bonnyrigg so we can beat the (Serbian word)," says one supporter on soccerfansnetwork.com

"You seriously think you guys gonna leave King Tom (King Tomislav Croatian Club, Sydney United's affiliated club) without wounds?," another replied.

"All the serbs can come. There will be batina (a bashing) for all of em!

"I would have thought it was going to be played at Marconi (Stadium) but i suppose the cops see no problem with King Tom venue."

Marconi Stadium is considered better for security and is tipped as the venue when the teams meet again in the finals series.

The two sides are due to play again in either April or May. They last met in a competition league match in 1984, just before Sydney United joined the National Soccer League.

When the NSL was disbanded last year, Sydney United missed out on a franchise in the new A-League and was relegated back into the state competition.

The Soccer NSW inquiry is expected to deliver its findings in four weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Bloody hell! It's the eighties all over again. Also similar scenes took place at a handball game involving a Croat and Serb club in Croatia. :scared:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Anyway just to provide an update on the situation. A car of a Sydney United official that was parked in front of the King Tom club was burned over night which was then followed by a drive by shooting on the White Eagles club. Yours truely heard down the grape wine that some police op was about to take place at roughly 11am this morning near the Eagles club so i put 2 and 2 together and made my way down there i witnessed about 15 to 20 cop cars parked behind the club and about 40 to 50 coppers in a hudle, discussing some tactics. Within minutes 3 cop cars drove out and closed a busy Elizabeth Drive and a thorough sweep of the area followed (I'm assuming they were looking for bullet casings). Some real CSI New York shit was going on.
Nice to know that the Circus aka NSW Police is continuing to entertain us with their concept of upholding the law. Cheers for that Bosanac and keep us posted on the upcoming events cos I don't think we've heard the last of it just yet. :(

·
*the drum drum*
42,916 Posts
Yeah, heard about the car bomb (or should I say bombed up car?) outside the club :googly:

They actually did anticipate this, and took some precautions. They postponed the U/20's match to lessen the load, hired a reasonable number of police, and they set up this pathetic fence near the right wing corner flag to seperate the Serbs from the Cro's..

The Hajduk Wanderers club is just down the road from Sydney United, and apparently it was hit by a group of Serbs too.. :dazed:
I remember outside that club, I was once chased by a group of 4 Serbs (complete with Serbian flags, jerseys, knives and trolley poles), screaming pro-Serbian and anti-Croatian profanities at me.. When they drove past, they where screaming "FORZE SERBIA!" so I screamed "TURKIYE!" back.. Idiots thought I was Croatian?! :D
Damn I was quick as a 16 year old :shades:

It was really a match I wanted to go and watch, but I knew something like this would happen and it turns out I was smart in staying away..

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The Hajduk Wanderers club is just down the road from Sydney United, and apparently it was hit by a group of Serbs too
Apparantely the Croats aren't too keen on them either as they were originally formed as a "Yugoslav" club. Long story really.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Quite a few people i know actually went to the match (mainly Bosnians :) who just sat around and tried their best to blend in).

The NSW SF should know better and should have taken measures to prevent this sort of crap. I mean, only last year when Liverpool Bossy played the White Eagles in the Continental Tyres Cup all hell broke lose because of the nationalistic and ethnic chants that erupted around the staidum, 20 cop cars eneded up coming to the match to difuse the situation. I am eagerly anticipating the findings of this special enquiry, wouldn't mind seeing them both in NSW Division 3 :) playing against the likes of Roosters, Colo Colo and Lansvale hehe

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
yeah, violence at soccer matches is trully appaling and unheard of, I think we should all be shocked !

:D :D

·
©
7,230 Posts
Ero said:
yeah, violence at soccer matches is trully appaling and unheard of, I think we should all be shocked !
That is not shocking, but what is shocking is setting a car on fire and shooting at a club in the days after the match. What the hell is that? What is going on in Sydney at the moment? Kids rioting, this..

A few years ago, a Croatian guy was stabbed during a premier league game against Serbs here in Melbourne. Luckily it wasn't too bad, but there are too many try hard hooligans running around who are clueless about these things.

From the footage the actual incident in Sydney just looked like a push and shove and apparently started when a Serb decided to piss on a Croatian emblem in the ground. Not that it matters as I am sure something would have occured regardless.

Then people wonder why there is a new league. hmm..

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Who wanders why there is a new league?
I think most people are bloody extatic about the new league coz arseholes that were at that game won't be coming to the new A League matches :thmbup:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But wait... there's even more. From the Sydney Daily Telegraph, 18/3/05

The day soccer broke my heart
By DAVID LEWIS, Soccer Writer

RALE Rasic, the only man to lead Australia to the World Cup, yesterday told of his heartbreak at being caught up in the riot that shamed soccer.

The revered Serbian-born coach of the Socceroos side that qualified for Germany in 1974 fled the Sydney United and Bonnyrigg White Eagles clash at halftime after being threatened by thugs.

Soon after leaving on Sunday, Edensor Park exploded into violence as feuding fans of Croatian-backed United and Serbian-supported White Eagles hurled firecrackers and bottles at each other.

"It breaks my heart to see football sink to this," said Rasic. "I've been going to matches there for 40 years and have never seen anything like it.

"The Football Federation of Australia and Soccer NSW must stamp down on these people. They are not true fans, their only motive was to stir up trouble. It was pre-arranged. I was told to leave – or else – and it's dreadful to see thugs hijack the sport like this. They don't represent Croatia or Serbia, let alone Australia. They don't belong to any society."

But Rasic, 69, claims Police Minister Carl Scully is wrong to depict the fracas that left two policeman hurt and escalated into a car bombing and drive-by shooting a day later as an expression of ancient ethnic tensions.

"I don't believe that's the case," he adds. "It's more a case of a bunch of unemployed idiots looking for trouble. They are an embarrassment to the code. They only go to games when it suits them and I feel sorry for the code which suffers as a result of their actions. They are like the English soccer fans who went to Europe to cause mayhem and then turned on each other when they couldn't find anybody to fight."

Rasic insists the violence will not cause friction between rational Croats and Serbs living in Australia. "There has been a tradition of co-operation between the communities for a while and that won't change," he added.

Soccer NSW, which is holding an inquiry into the violence, yesterday decreed the return State League fixture between the clubs will be played at a neutral venue.

Football Australia's chief executive John O'Neill insists the new A-League will not be infected by the toxic rivalries that still simmer at the lower echelons of the game.

"The A-League is about uniting the tribes," he said. "Troublemakers will not be tolerated. Anybody who thinks Frank Lowy [FFA president] and I are going to be diverted from where we want to take this game is going to be proven wrong."

·
*the drum drum*
42,916 Posts
dinamovac11 said:
......but there are too many try hard hooligans running around who are clueless about these things.
That's one thing I've never really understood, there's more hatred between 18-25 year olds (give or take a few years) than there is at any other age group..

Of course, that age group consists of more idiots then any other age group, but it's always this group who seem to be involved in, or starting, all of these riots..

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Deadset wanker.

I doubt 1/2 of the have ever stepped in Europe.

5th generation tools trying to find something to stand for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts