Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've noticed that i cannot cross very well and does anyone have any tips? where to hit the ball, part of the foot, motion? i can hit some nice crosses on a dead ball sometimes but the distance and height are not consistent. can anyone help?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Lean back a little and put your non kicking foot beside the ball, then try to hit the ball in the middle of its underside, with in between the toe and the laces and then keep a roughly straight leg when you hit through. Thats how you get the height. When you are running, you can hit the ball at a slight angle to give it a curl. Oh, and for accuracy, point the non kicking foot towards the target. :)

That seems to work alright for me.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Try to ignore all the defenders and strikers waiting for the cross and just focus on getting the ball into a good area (i.e. so it bounces about level with the far post, about 8-10 metres from goal).

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i play more central but would like to learn to cross on teh right. i will most likely be employed there in the coming season. my balls (footballs) are going in flat, no curve, and kinda low, i i think it's all down to technique now.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
to start off, dont worry too much where you want the ball to go.

Just practice getting under the ball.

Once you have that, and you can put the ball in the air, then practice on putting some spin into the ball.

Once you have that down, then you will be able to get it anywhere you want to.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
maybe you are so paranoid you are concentrating too hard on how to kick the ball.

don't worry so much about whereabouts on the ball you strike,just concentrate on where you want the ball to go,play with your "eyes" ;)

course if you aint paranoid ,then forget this post immediately :D

edit: i just read Ed's post and realise that us two are on complete opposite ends of the coaching scale :D

none of my ideas come from a text book i can assure you.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quality posts guys, i'll give it a whirl, on both sides of the spectrum ;)

well, thats when this bloody snow melts. its -20cel out and there's a bleedin' lot of snow. :( and you wonder why soccer never caught on here.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
when you are crossing for the head of a player

try to imagine the player has no body and just a head
and then hit the ball towards that point

practice is really the key

·
Registered
943 Posts
Fabiocapello said:
when you are crossing for the head of a player

try to imagine the player has no body and just a head
and then hit the ball towards that point

practice is really the key

Intersting idea, I will try it aswell.;)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
hit the lower middle of the ball follow threw lean back a little

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
jern, same for me, definetley no textbook.

I'm helping him exactly the way I improved my crossing. Worked for me, so might for him.

What I'm thinking is that he doesn't even know how to put the ball up (properly) in the first place. That is one key to crossing. Once you are comfortable and putting the ball up in the air, then everything else will come with practice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
importantly for a cross you dont have to swing your hardest and kill the ball.

if you just meet the ball in the right place (location on the ball has been mentioned in this thread)

the ball should sail fine if you stay balanced and dont rush

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
My all time great tip for crossing, one of the things i am actually quite good at.

Look where you want to put it and just simply hit it, i find the more i think about it the more it goes wrong, i dunno maybe that's just me, but i find just sending it into the box usually does the trick, let the forwards do the rest.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Look at your target. I know it's tempting to stare at the ball to make sure you hit it correctly, but once you get used to making good contact with the ball, it helps to look up at where you're aiming. Same with shooting.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a slight problem with crosses, I am a pretty good crosser and I take the corners for my team but the problem with it is that whenever I cross, it will go like 3.5-4 metres high and then dip down, its unlike those crosses you see where they just curl and then the strikers head at goal.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Then you are not really a good crosser, yah Inzaghino? ;)

Good among your friends doesn't make you good, okay? So and work on it.

I prefer the floating sliced cross that that old Jock that played for Liverpool one season would always do, mostly cos you get tired of putting it on a dime and having your strikers completely mess it up cos it came at 'em too fast :D

I don't have very technical descriptions for it since I'd always skip training in high school :D You're trying to slice the ball but with just enough power so it gets to where you want it to. The textbook video of it is Beckham's diagnal ball to Raul vs Atletico Madrid for Raul if you couldn't get a hold of a video of me a few weeks ago with a perfect floated crossfield pass to our hopelessly underskilled but enthusiastic rightback who just took all the credit ;)

When Beckham used to pump in 15 crosses a game for Utd, we'd all practice doing it his way until I realised our strikers are no Diego Forlans and were bloody hopeless when the ball swerved late :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep I guess so, I have to keep working on this problem to really perfect my crosses, I need your help, you seem like a professional in this kinda advice.

My crosses are accurate but the problem lies with the height of the cross, I always cross it very high but when it actually dips down, it reaches the player, on the left, when I cross the ball, its just right but when I go to the right, my crossed balls will go extremely high but both of them reaches my players most of the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts