Xtratime Community banner

21601 - 21620 of 21630 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It is not about the amount of talents at the same age...but about having enough players at a certain level within the 20-32 y o age range.
The likes of Vrsaljko Lovren Barisic Kovacic Brozovic Rebic Vlasic are already there for few years more...
If a pongracic doesn't fulfill a potential another guy might show up by then. Same for others.

Not having results in youth tournaments before didn't prevent us to beat the likes of england germany spain argentina in international tournaments.

We will be fine.
That which i highlighted is a false equivalency to the success we have had tournaments. Yes we have had success beating a team on our day as a one off, but so have BIH, Serbia, Hungary, Switzerland, Czech Repbulbic, Ukraine , Iceland, Norway, Sweden etc... and every other "smaller football" nation when going up against perceived stronger teams in qualifying game or a tournament game. The only time we have ever had deep runs into tournaments was when a group of players have been together for a long period of time. And in both cases this started in the youth categories and metastasized into success years later at the senior level. And you see that with the team in 98 and again our run in 2018. Players who had played together in the youth category, having a fairly a good knowledge of each others game growing into a squad that makes a deep run at senior level

Will this change in the future? i don't know. But a core group of players coming together at a young age seems to be key to many a teams success.You see that in Spain's Success, Italy's success in 2006, Portugal's success in 2016, Hollands success in 1988 success just to name a few off the top of my head. None of this is coincidence to me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Subasic
Vrsaljko Lovren Vida Strinic
Brozovic Modric Rakitic
Perisic Mandzukic Rebic

The only players from this team that were already there in 2008 were Modric and Rakitic.

In 2008 we had already the level to reach the final of euro when Modric Rakitic were the youngest with the likes of Klasnic Petric Olic Srna Pranjic Kranjcar Kovac Pletikosa...

The main difference in 2018 is that we had the part of luck that we didn't have in 2008.

Reaching the final in 2018 doesn't mean at all that we didn't have the team to get a big result between 98 and 2018.

With the players that we got right now in their mid or end 20ies, the likes of caleta, vlasic, brekalo starting and few more talents to develop to fill the team we will be fine as we have always been when it comes to quality on paper.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
But that difference between success and failure is small nowadays and every advantage you get counts. So of course we didn't have the capability to get big results, because every decision gets compounded onto the next one. Success at youth level, Familarity with teammates, Success of the NT, coaches tactics, success at club level of A player, success at club level of the coach, big wins in key moments in qualifying, level that player plays at club level. injuries etc.. this all compounds into a successful campaign/tournament or not. I don't consider Rakitic scoring two back to back penalties in successive games as luck. every previous experience he and his teammates had prepared them for that moment. just like it did not for the squad in 2008

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well we will just agree to disagree.
In 2008 we topped our qualifiers ahead of russia and england.
Then topped our groupe ahead of germany. The team could have won the tournament.
But football can be crual and on one unfortunate game we lost it. Simply.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I also think that Pongracic would be a better option than Jedvaj as second right back in the group.
He is faster, more solid and more skilled with both feet.
There are few teams that use center backs or wingers as right or left back when they lack quality players at this position.
Pongracic could be an option there when Vrsaljko can't play.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Pongracic was guilty on the penalty given to Eintracht. But then he was great for the remaining of the match.
Strong at the backline...he showed also skills in breaking lines alone with the ball...to me he is a real asset for a team that likes to play.

If not injured...vrsaljko jedvaj vida lovren caleta car pongracic barisic will make it to the euro.

Dalic will certainly stick with Lovren Vida but i am not sure that they are better than Pongracic Caleta Car right now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
There is a striker named Adrian Grbic he is 23 y o. He played in second league in France but impressed a lot and is now attracting the interests of few clubs playing in the first league.
He is Austrian-Croatian.
Player to follow seriously.

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
There is a striker named Adrian Grbic he is 23 y o. He played in second league in France but impressed a lot and is now attracting the interests of few clubs playing in the first league.
He is Austrian-Croatian.
Player to follow seriously.
An interview from 31 of March this year. Seems like the HNS are aware and that he will have to have a think about it when/if the call comes. Hopefully he goes the Rakitic route.

Početkom veljače je u intervjuu za austrijsku Laolu govorio o šansama da nastupi za Hrvatsku.

"Ne spavaju niti u HNS-u, također su primijetili moje nastupe, ali ne mogu reći više od toga. Nastavit ću s ovakvim nastupima i vidjet ćemo što će se dogoditi. Kada dođu Austrijski i Hrvatski nogometni savez, morat ću itekako razmisliti što dalje", rekao je.

Austrijski Hrvat briljira u Francuskoj: "Ne znam što odlučiti kad dođe poziv HNS-a"

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Last round of games:

Pongracic played the full game v Freiburg
Brekalo played 55 mins

Kramaric played whole second half vs Leipzig

Perisic got the start vs Borussia M

Jedvaj came on the 70 minute

Modric started and played 84 minutes

Rakitic came on the 46 minute

Budimir started and played 84 minutes

·
Registered
69,180 Posts
Rakitic scores the winning goal for Barca

Letica made his debut for SPAL, to show how little sports there are ESPN actually showed the game, he made a good save in the first half and looked comfortable on catching set pieces but not the best reaction to the goal Cagliari scored. Rog played full match for Cagliari, not much to say about his performance, solid but unspectacular

21601 - 21620 of 21630 Posts