Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was quite a bit of ethnic confrontation back in the days especially between the two yugo clubs Yugal ( in Sydney) and footscray ( Melbourne). So the two biggest Croatian clubs in Aus, Sydney United and Melbourne knights had some reputation of going over the top with the fan behaviour. Just a little. ?. And still do. I was looking back at some older articles and aussie forums and thought I'd share the hate the anglos had for us as well as some general match reports. I'll mostly focus on Sydney United.

Typical of the regular clashes, at least in what happened although
not always so large in scale, was the first game of the 1970 season which
pitted Yugal and Croatia yet again against each other. The scene was
familiar. A boisterous crowd, nervous but still chauvinist, flew its flags,
particularly Croatian flags after a convincing win in the reserve grade
fixture
When just before the main event a sole Croat jumped the perimeter
with a large red, white and blue flag and proceeded to parade, a single Yugal
fan snatched the flag and bolted to the Yugal dressing room. From such a
small incident all hell broke loose. Two hundred Croats stormed out of
their terraces on the opposite side of the park, invaded the pitch and tried
to break into the Yugal dressing room. Windows were smashed, the
broadcasting room virtually demolished, the ticket boxes and their staff
threatened. Police mobile units eventually quelled the riot but only after
the Croatian national flag was retrieved.

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Playoff report by various, as indicated
Sydney United v Perth Glory

Yesterday's disgraceful behaviour by the Sydney United supporters will hopefully trigger the folding of the club.If Soccer Australia has any balls at all it will impose the maximum fine allowable. This measure I hope will send them so much further into debt, that there is no way back. For those who were unable to attend, let me enlighten you. These so called supporters let off flares, they also held a 40 foot Croatian flag above there heads for most of the game, and they detonated bungers on the field whilst the game was in progress.

At the end of the game the situation turned really ugly. The police and the security were called to attend to some rowdy supporters. This was the signal for the scum to throw missiles, including bottles at the securityguards and the police. This then prompted the scum to go about wrecking the Marconi stadium. I would hazard a guess, and say that they ripped out at least 150 seats.

In an act of defiance, whan the police were making arrests, virtually to a man the crowd rose to chant Cro-artz-ia. They obviously were in agreeance with the animals antics.

Before any of you listees mention "it's only a small minority involved", let me warn you not to waste your time typing. Personally I'm sick to death of these turds giving our great game a bad name, and when man woman and child start chanting their support and encouragement to these lumps of dog excrement, it indicates the mentality of the majority of people who are supporting this club.

If we don't stop this type of behaviour now, it can only escalate. These turds don't deserve such a magnificent football team. They deserve imprisonment.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
There were some genuine issues in the 70s and 80s but by the 90s it calmed down...maybe 1-2 incidents worth noting but the media loved to play it up...the A League with all it's talk of going mainstream and leaving behind the ethnic rivalries of the old NSL has had its fair share of incidents.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The media did love playing it up. A perfect recent example in 2012 when Sydney United played the Wanderers in the friendly match where the police charged into the United supporters over one bunger that went off. There was an overly top police presence at the game. They were looking for anything to use force against our supporters. And the papers got a story up before the game was even over.

Violence rocks soccer match between Sydney United FC and Western Sydney Wanderers

Category: | Herald Sun

I think a court ruled that the police did in fact use excessive force. Nothing on that from the media though.

This comment though made me laugh:

Why on earth the Wanderers agreed to play Sydney United at King Tomislav is beyond me. United’s fan base is a paranoid mob of Croatian descent who have been trouble since the 1970s. They are still fighting the wars of the old Yugoslavia and think of themselves
as victims.

During my Police service I had the pleasure of crowd control at King Tom several times, which meant getting the referee and linesmen off the field alive. I have seen United supporters spit on footballers and if one of them gets himself into strife with the Police he can be sure his idiot friends will try to help him. Why do you think United was not let into the A League?

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dinosaurs deserve the boot.
By SHAUN MURPHY.
24 February 2004
The West Australian

PERTH Glory's 4-2 defeat of Sydney United on Sunday finalised the top six for the finals of the last National Soccer League season.

After the events of the weekend, it is safe to say I have no sympathy for the dinosaur clubs of the NSL that find themselves facing a bleak future in their respective State leagues, or even extinction.

Over the years, I have played in some very intimidating situations.

From my English league debut at Millwall's notorious Den to the Black Country derbies (West Bromwich Albion v Wolverhampton Wanderers) and Sheffield clashes (Sheffield United v Sheffield Wednesday) to the World Cup qualifier in Uruguay, only very rarely did I feel unsafe. ?

There is no place in Australian soccer for full cans of beer being thrown on to the pitch or flares being launched on to the playing surface and among the crowd. Or mocking Australia's national anthem.

The fact is I would not have let my family anywhere near Sydney United's stadium over concern for their safety.

This sort of atmosphere will hardly help sell our new brand and our future vision to the broader masses.

What happened on Sunday was not only the work of a small minority who were out to spoil it for the rest; this was a big number of hard-core troublemakers.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Avala v Sydney Croatia were legendary games back in the 80’s, especially at Knight Park. There was so much hatred that the Croatian supporters wouldn’t even pay and enter the ground but would watch from the outside. I remember a game when the Serbs placed large tarps around the ground to prevent the Croatian crowd from watching the game from the outskirts of the ground. Literally thousands of them.

I remember seeing a friend from karate through the fence. He was one of the supporters peaking and trying to get a look in. I didn’t even know he was Croatian but from that day on we never spoke again.

Avala hated Yugal too. Give me a Croat any day before some commie Yugo.

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those commie bastards always received a good beating.

Sounded like good times. Sucks that away fans were not allowed at our games post 2005 ?. Even home fans couldn't attend unless you were a member. Funny your comment about our fans prefering to watch outside reminded me of one of the games few year back where a few United fans rocked up to Bonnyrigg to watch the game through the fence.

·
Banned
21,916 Posts
Playoff report by various, as indicated
Sydney United v Perth Glory

Yesterday's disgraceful behaviour by the Sydney United supporters will hopefully trigger the folding of the club.If Soccer Australia has any balls at all it will impose the maximum fine allowable. This measure I hope will send them so much further into debt, that there is no way back. For those who were unable to attend, let me enlighten you. These so called supporters let off flares, they also held a 40 foot Croatian flag above there heads for most of the game, and they detonated bungers on the field whilst the game was in progress.

At the end of the game the situation turned really ugly. The police and the security were called to attend to some rowdy supporters. This was the signal for the scum to throw missiles, including bottles at the securityguards and the police. This then prompted the scum to go about wrecking the Marconi stadium. I would hazard a guess, and say that they ripped out at least 150 seats.

In an act of defiance, whan the police were making arrests, virtually to a man the crowd rose to chant Cro-artz-ia. They obviously were in agreeance with the animals antics.

Before any of you listees mention "it's only a small minority involved", let me warn you not to waste your time typing. Personally I'm sick to death of these turds giving our great game a bad name, and when man woman and child start chanting their support and encouragement to these lumps of dog excrement, it indicates the mentality of the majority of people who are supporting this club.

If we don't stop this type of behaviour now, it can only escalate. These turds don't deserve such a magnificent football team. They deserve imprisonment.
lol

They hate us cuz they ain't us.

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the first match played between Sydney United and Northern Spirit at Spirit Park in early 1999, Croatian nationalist fanatics threw both flares and smoke bombs not only onto the pitch but also into the McCartney stand at the spectators.

So it was no real surprise that on Australia Day, January 26, 2001, a group of Neo-Nazi Croatians calling themselves a name which roughly translates into English as "Blue Boys" (odd, since United wear a red strip) caused temperatures to rise by throwing three flares onto the pitch and several more and smoke bombs at spectators in the McCartney stand.

On this rare occasion the police arrived and ejected 12 or so of them from the ground. The question remains: why is it that security always meticulously check my (now) ten year old son's bag upon entry to the ground, but always manage to miss dangerous items brought in by a readily identifiable group of thugs who seem to live in shirts with words like "Zadar," "Croatia" and "Croatia Zagreb" emblazoned thereon? This rather tightly bonded firm has actually been barred from home games at Edensor Park, yet they and their live ammo are allowed to just waltz in and mingle with innocent children and their parents. This was the third match this year involving such incidents with this group.

Hehe.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Marko Franović (Boka Windows) the man that has given you guys more than any other is still in hospital and battling corona virus.

He is a family friend and the most humble man I’ve ever met. I wish him a speedy recovery. We thought we lost him there for a moment and there was rumors within the Croatian community that he has passed but he’s still with us.

·
dinamo67
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Marko Franović (Boka Windows) the man that has given you guys more than any other is still in hospital and battling corona virus.

He is a family friend and the most humble man I’ve ever met. I wish him a speedy recovery. We thought we lost him there for a moment and there was rumors within the Croatian community that he has passed but he’s still with us.
The gossip game is strong in the community. I'm glad he's alive and apparently doing better from last reports. Great news.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts