Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again it seems that we are rated behind questionable opposition. Belgium, Turkey, Romania, Czech, Sweden? Does anyone have a link to therules on ranking national teams?

Seedings:

Top seeds - France (holders), Sweden, Spain, Czech Republic, Germany, Romania, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Belgium, Turkey.

Second seeds - Croatia, Russia, Yugoslavia, Holland, Denmark, Poland, England, Ukraine, Slovenia, Scotland.

Third seeds - Austria, Norway, Slovakia, Israel, Switzerland, Iceland, Bulgaria, Finland, Greece, Hungary.

Fourth seeds - Cyprus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Belarus, Wales, Estonia, Latvia, Northern Ireland, Georgia, Macedonia, Lithuania.

Fifth seeds - Armenia, Moldova, Albania, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Malta, Luxembourg, Andorra.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Yeah it would've been nice to be in the first seed. There's never much consistency in how they determine who's in what seeding group.

We never qualified for EURO2000 so it's a knock against us, but then neither did Ireland. They came out of a difficult group in WC qualifiers but they had to go to a playoff whereas we won our group.

So when you weigh it out, there's no reason we shouldn't be in the same seeding group.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Doesn't matter.

There are quality teams in the second seeds as well.

And I don't fear Turkey, Sweden, Belgium, Ceska, or Romania one bit, not anybody else for that matter.

Bring 'em on I say.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
what?

people still look at rankings? i mean they are meaningless! Columbia is rated i think 4th overall in the world by Fifa!:eek: and Yugoslavia and Paraguay and even the Czeck Republic are rated ahead of us we are only 19th! i guess we suck in thier eyes! well I DONT GIVE A ****! neither should anyone else thier rankings are bogus and this latest Uefa rankings just proves it! you are as good as your level of play and results numbers mean nothing! i would rather be in the quarter finals of the world cup or for that matter even just in the world cup than be out of it and ranked 10th! jebim njih i njihove budalastvine:cool:

·
Registered
36,169 Posts
yeah, but remember, we were seeded 3rd for the WC wualifiers, and we got Belgium and Scotland ahead of us, we could have just as easily got Italy, Spain, Germany or some other big names.

It's all about how you perform, it's 11 players against 11 players, each have 2 legs, and the score is 0-0 at the kick off.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Oh, and Ero...you forgot...the ball is round.:D ;)

By the way..I know who Biban is now....he's your hero..but, whats a wualifier???:confused:

·
Registered
36,169 Posts
ah, leave me alone ya darned yank. ;)

·
Registered
36,169 Posts
wualifier...hmmm

I left my English-Ero, Ero-English dictionary in the car, sorry :)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The draw is on the 25th of Jan which is 4 days away :)

As long as we don't get France in our group it will be a good draw because we are better and should be able to defeat most of the 1st seeded teams and qualify :D

Worst Possible draw
France-Croatia-Norway-Georgia-who cares

Best Possible draw
Belgium-Croatia-Hungary-Estonia-Liechtenstein

Hopefully we will get the latter draw :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
UEFA reviews the last 2 qualifying campaigns of each NT and than ranks countries on points attained.

note:points attained are only recorded for results against the top 4 countries in each group.

eg:
- wc02 qual. we had 3 wins and 3 draws
- EURO 2000 qual,we had 2 wins,3 draws and 1 loss.

Because the same top 10 to 15 countries consistently record good results in Europe its difficult to break top 10 and therefore small margin for error and this time around we were in 12 place.

Prior to FIFA 98 wc qual draw they also reviewed last 2 qual campaigns(top 4 countries in each group results only) which at time included :
- EURO 2000 as above and
- WC 98 qual where we had 3 wins,2 draws and 1 loss.
That time we were seeded in Group 3 but fortunately good enough to progress to wc02.

So at the end of the day if they are the rules we cant complain although i must admit there should be more recognition for countries that actually qualify let alone finifh in 3rd place.

Bravo Vatreni!

·
International
8,545 Posts
I didn't know the draw was so soon, I agree with TJK that France is the only one I wouldn't want to be drawn with. There are other strong teams in the first pot but France is just a powerhouse.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
France and Croatia.

Repeat of that semi final in 98.

You better get someone to injure Thuram :D

·
Registered
36,169 Posts
Thuram?
please don't mention his name here, those wounds run deep :depress:

·
Registered
57,313 Posts
TJK said:
The draw is on the 25th of Jan which is 4 days away :)

Best Possible draw
Belgium-Croatia-Hungary-Estonia-Liechtenstein

Hopefully we will get the latter draw :D
I agree, that would be a nice draw for us, too!;)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
AHHhhh...that damn Thuram....my fellow Zmijavcan made him a star....:depress:

Now I go to slash my wrists......

·
Banned
692 Posts
sanyi

Why don't you stay off of our boards. You have NEVER contributed anything to any Croatian related topic. You have always bashed Croatia and have said many "stupid" things.

PS...no group would be easy for hungary because your team sucks plain and simple.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thuram, that name is like a kick in the balls.

It would be nice to actually qualify for this European Championship. It's a novel idea, I know.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: sanyi

BOban_2 said:
Why don't you stay off of our boards. You have NEVER contributed anything to any Croatian related topic. You have always bashed Croatia and have said many "stupid" things.

PS...no group would be easy for hungary because your team sucks plain and simple.
[/QUOTE

hey mr einstein, did that sanyi guy say "easy" or "nice" ?

to me it seems as if he said "a nice draw", whats your problem with that, as croatia and hungary are good neighbours. we play against each other in april anyway:tongue:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts