Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Croatia-Hungary in Euro 2012 bid

ZAGREB, Jan 20 (Reuters) - The Croatian cabinet have given their approval for a joint bid with Hungary to host the 2012 European Championship.
Croatia and Hungary hope to host two four-team groups each for the 16-team event, which is the second largest international soccer tournament behind the World Cup.

Government approval is one of the more important elements required for a successful bid.

The neighbouring countries will face tough competition from Italy and European champions Greece, while Poland and Ukraine are also considering a joint bid.

The deadline for bids is January 31 and European soccer's governing body UEFA will then draw up a short-list of three candidates in November before announcing the host country in December 2006.

Croatia would have to have four suitable stadiums for the tournament. The likely candidates are the cities of Zagreb, Split, Varazdin, Rijeka and Osijek.

Austria and Switzerland will co-host next European Championship in 2008.
-------------
what do you think? I think we have a small chance, look at the competition too. If we are too have a chance we need to improve our stadiums as well as Hungary.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
1)It is called Football,not soccer.
2)I think we have a big chance if the stadiums and infrastructure will be improved.
3)The Scandinavian nations are the only serious compatition to us and the Hungaryans.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
IVO said:
Why would you discount the Greek and Italian bids?
1)They already hosted the Olympic Games and have a huge debt because of it.
2)The italians have already hosted both the EC and WC,they have an idiot as the FA president and since the UEFA president is a Swede(they don't like italians very much),I don't think UEFA will give them their backing.

·
International
8,545 Posts
To say Swedes don't like Italians is a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, if Johansson doesn't like Italians he likes us even less. We never voted for him and on a couple of occassions he took the opportunity to bash either us or one of our players. The most recent one was against Srna.

Hi NAUM, I've never seen you before either;)

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
IVO said:
To say Swedes don't like Italians is a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, if Johansson doesn't like Italians he likes us even less. We never voted for him and on a couple of occassions he took the opportunity to bash either us or one of our players. The most recent one was against Srna.

Hi NAUM, I've never seen you before either;)
1)Remember the Italian reaction after the EURO 2004 game?

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
1)They already hosted the Olympic Games and have a huge debt because of it.
I think Greece will get it. You are forgetting that because of the Olympics they already have all the necessary facilities (and some of their clubs are already building new stadia for themselves), so it would not be that much of an extra cost. A EURO final at OAKA (the big Olympic stadium) would be really majestic. Nice stadium.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Andrija PFC said:
I think Greece will get it. You are forgetting that because of the Olympics they already have all the necessary facilities (and some of their clubs are already building new stadia for themselves), so it would not be that much of an extra cost. A EURO final at OAKA (the big Olympic stadium) would be really majestic. Nice stadium.
I didn't forget it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I hate co-hosted competitions!!!!!!!! Austria/Switzerland in euro 2008? what a joke. Both of these nations gettting an automatic entry totally dilutes the quality of the competition. Lets be honest, these two nations probably dont qualify if they are forced to play to get in! So you put two inferior teams in, and automatically loose two very good teams. That is why I hate co-hosting. If Croatia-Hungary get the tournament in 2008, than youve allowed Hungary in to a tournament that they are RARELY ever capable of qualifying for, because there just not good enough. Croatia being given an automatic spot- I have no problem with that, they have prooven there pedigree. JAPAN/KOREA- terible tournament, why/ Because it involved Japan and Korea. HOLLAND/BELGIUM- Belgium sucked like usual. PLEASE NO MORE CO-HOSTING!
CRVENA ZVEZDA RULES!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
bjeotiger,

everything is true, except that last part.. :D

·
International
8,545 Posts
There's some good points against co-hosting, but we're still only talking one more team so it's not like the whole tournament is brought down all that much.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
OK, I know its not true, at least let me live in my own fantasy world!
Ha ha there's someone willing to admit it (unlike oh say, rsf:pp).

I don't mind these lesser countries being given a spot once in a while. I mean they'll never qualify anyway, so let em play once, just to be nice :D

·
International
8,545 Posts
What are you guys on crack or something? Austria and Switzerland are not in that category of teams. Hungary hasn't been around in a while but they're not a team that'll never qualify.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Judging by that list we have some kind of chance but you just get the feeling that in the end, it will go somebody else. The next Euro is co hosted and I am not sure whether UEFA wants to go down that path again in 2012.

Greece could get it but I tend to think Italy might be favoured. But if we keep making major tournaments we will have to get rewarded for it one day.

·
Registered
334 Posts
No Ivo, Austria, Switzerland and Hungary ARE in "that category". They suck. I dont want to have to see them play and loose three games in a tournament, unless they actualy qualify. The last couple of International tournaments have been bad, Im sick of it. How about this Ivo, put Austria, Switzerland, Hungary and The Fahroe Isl. in a mini tournament to see who the best of the worst is, and then let us all know who won! YIPEEEE!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts