Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a disapointment for our juniors. Holland isn't even a contender and we lose to them on opening day. I expected big things from our juniors, and still do, but what I expect most of all from them is to choke, just like they did in Nigeria.

Sramota(shame)

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Yah, it's the Balkan way IVO get used to it ;)

I think they will bounce back though.

Scorers:

Croatia - Darko Maladin 20
Netherlands - Mark Van Bommel 42, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink 83

Another two teams from Eastern Europe also played today:

Slovakia 2
Turkey 1

Scorers:
Slovakia - Vratislav Gresko 6, Marian Cisovsky 18
Turkey - Ahmet Dursun 63

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Wow, we have just about the same word sramota, but I think it's not appropriate. It is not a shame to lose, it is a shame to give up once you lose. It is important to keep the spirit in these guys (and I know they have it as long as the goal diference is shorter).
Besides, how well did Pleticosa perform? I know he is still young but when he has a day and he shows his qualities it is very hard to score him a goal.

[This message has been edited by giani_82 (edited 27-05-2000).]

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was actually Pletikosa's mistakes that made us lose. He was responsible for both goals. But having said that, the second half was a bad performance overall by the team. The Dutch didn't play well in the second half either, but if we had played the way we could, we wouldn't have had to worry about goaltending mistakes.

This causes a problem because we still have to face Spain. WE beat them in a friendly 3-1 recently, but that's only a friendly, and they have a great team.

The juniors have the capability of winning EURO, but what good is capability when you choke.

I was expecting a 3-0 win. NOthing against the Dutch, but I think we have a much stronger team. Actually I KNOW we have a stronger team, but we lost.

Our offence should have done more.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I know most of the players abilities, and their ability to play together as a team, and it's such a let down.

Sokota and Balaban, supported by Leko should have done more. Vranjes was good in midfield as I expected, the defence was good, but the offence should have been able to score more than one goal. They didn't even create many chances. :(

D

·
0 Posts
Venegoor of Hesselink, and Burggink, 2 of the most promising young talents in Holland, no surprises they scored.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm surprised they scored. I'm not doubting their talents, but if you saw the two goals, you'd know what I mean.

On another note, Miladin has broken his leg. He is our left defender and an important part of the defence. We have enough depth to replace him, but I'm sorry to see this happen to him.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
IVO, I think there was a pretty good wing back in Hajduk I saw him in the summer, but I forgot his name (HUH). Do you know how old is he I believe he was young, but I'm not sure.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could be thinking of Seric. He was with Hajduk last year, but then went to Parma, now on loan at Verona. I don't know if that's who you're thinking of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts