Xtratime Community banner
6301 - 6320 of 6320 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think Croatia will still manage to barely qualify in a group that on paper should not be difficult to do so. Then Dalic and company will talk about it being a success like they did getting to the round of 16 at the Euro. It is the ol' use your incompetence to your advantage by making something that should be a given look like an accomplishment. It is a loser mentality and Croatia consistently produce enough quality where this shouldn't be the case.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Italy brought Mancini he cleaned house but he got rid of some deadweight but kept some old guys like the Chiellini/Bonucci he called allot of players. He created a very competitive open atmosphere but the key thing is he’s Mancini his resume has a large amount of pedigree he can do this and the players respect him.

Dalic has no resume and his continued existence is tied to making so old guys happy and keeping the Savez satisfied. I’m always amazed what a transition it’s for our players. Playing in these big clubs and great coaches. Than for the NT you come in and Ante Cacic is telling you what to do? An incredible 180

·
Registered
153 Posts

This was a statement performance but given the overall year he had in 2018 he should have been in the side in Russia as well. He was clear of Rebic and a few others, even back then.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
New HNS President. Brend Suker out. Marijan Kustić in. I wonder if we will see any significant changes
Kustić is from HDZ while Šuker was Mamić's man (who was just closely linked to HDZ).

If by significant changes you mean things like NT training camp, proper selection process for NT coach etc, doubt it.

·
Registered
70,249 Posts
Agree, though Kustic seems to have some sort of relationship with Hajduk while Suker had a more toxic personality (Kustic is more media/camera friendly let’s say). Also Suker was barely in Croatia, if the rumors are true he is basically in the US most of the time. But you won’t see widespread changes

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Kustić interview from yesterday...to get things straight, Šuker still had time to go with his mandate but the HNS assembly decided to hold elections early. This on the back of leaked conversations where Mamić is saying Šuker has to go. :D

Btw, yet another unanimous election/decision in the HNS. They're like North Korea.

-------

I wouldn't say I enchanted the HNS assembly members. I'll certainly operate in a different way [to the previous leadership]. I'm glad I got their unanimous support and for me it provides only further incentive. I'm convinced that with a team of people and new members on the executive committee that changes will happen.

I wouldn't say Zdravko Mamić got me elected. The assembly members had their say, Davor didn't nominate and he agreed with them. I thank them [assembly members] once again. I wouldn't say these talks happened by accident. The future will show who is leading the HNS.

Investment in our football infrastructure is long overdue. Hybid pitches have proven to be very good. It would be good to see work start on a new stadium in Maksimir. Investment in Poljud, the new stadium in Osijek, Rujevica...that's what we want. Our priority is qualification for Qatar.

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
6,934 Posts
the new stadium in Osijek, Rujevica...that's what we want. Our priority is qualification for Qatar.
I'll believe it when I see it...

Reactions: Nepoznat

·
Registered
910 Posts
Agree, though Kustic seems to have some sort of relationship with Hajduk while Suker had a more toxic personality (Kustic is more media/camera friendly let’s say). Also Suker was barely in Croatia, if the rumors are true he is basically in the US most of the time. But you won’t see widespread changes
It’s not rumors it’s true. He was constantly in Vegas gambling and using blow.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
New FIFA World Rankings released and Croatia down to 18th, no surprise.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Seeing on Twitter that Modrić confirms for WC2022 and will retire from intl duty after. Did Luka come out and say this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
No pain - No gain.
4,594 Posts
Official.

Mario Mandzukic has retired from football. He received two proposals as free agent in the last few weeks but final decision has been made. :( :( :(

24 career titles
230 goals
1x UEFA Champions League with Bayern
Scored in 2 UCL Finals (2013-2017)
1x FIFA Club World Cup
2x Bundesliga
4x Serie A
FIFA World Cup runner-up (Croatia’s best ever finish)
Scored in the WC Final for Croatia

Respect Mandza! 🧡

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I know you can't put much stock into player ratings, especially a small sample size like 8 games, but this is from Sofascore. They're at least neutral and keep good stats.

Dalić has used 26 different players in the starting XI...sub appearances not included...in brackets is the number or games started.

Luka Modrić 7.83 (4)
Joško Gvardiol 7.70 (2)
Ivica Ivušić 7.55 (2)
Borna Sosa 7.47 (3)
Josip Juranović 7.43 (4)
Marcelo Brozović 7.41 (7)
Marko Livaja 7.40 (1)
Borna Barišić 7.35 (4)
Mislav Oršić 7.35 (2)
Dejan Lovren 7.30 (5)
Mateo Kovačić 7.28 (6)
Ivan Perišić 7.23 (6)
Mario Pašalić 7.10 (5)
Duje Ćaleta-Car 7.10 (4)
Domagoj Vida 7.08 (5)
Andrej Kramarić 7.04 (5)
Luka Ivanušec 7.00 (2)
Josip Stanišić 7.00 (2)
Dominik Livaković 6.95 (6)
Nikola Vlašić 6.92 (5)
Josip Brekalo 6.90 (1)
Šime Vrsaljko 6.80 (2)
Ante Budimir 6.70 (2)
Dario Melnjak 6.70 (1)
Milan Badelj 6.50 (1)
Antonio Čolak 6.40 (1)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Official.

Mario Mandzukic has retired from football. He received two proposals as free agent in the last few weeks but final decision has been made. :( :( :(

24 career titles
230 goals
1x UEFA Champions League with Bayern
Scored in 2 UCL Finals (2013-2017)
1x FIFA Club World Cup
2x Bundesliga
4x Serie A
FIFA World Cup runner-up (Croatia’s best ever finish)
Scored in the WC Final for Croatia

Respect Mandza!
In my humble opinion your greatest ever striker. Maybe not as gifted as Šuker or Bokšić but arguably he had a better career than both of them.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
In my humble opinion your greatest ever striker. Maybe not as gifted as Šuker or Bokšić but arguably he had a better career than both of them.
Šuker was pure gold for the NT between 1994-99, probably will never have anyone like that again (35 goals in 51 games in that period).

Mandžukić was less prolific, and didn't always play as a pure forward, but still managed to score 8 goals in major tournaments (only one less than Šuker and Perišić).

Bokšić was a beast and arguably more valued by outsiders than both Šuker and Mandžukić. He spent the bulk of his career at big clubs and his time at Lazio and Juventus was when Serie A was easily the strongest league in Europe. What he doesn't have is NT achievements (played only 45 minutes at Euro '96 and missed the WC in 1998). Šuker's Golden Boot in France put him ahead of Bokšić.

Šuker's first season at Real Madrid was the best one-off season of any Croat forward but the rest of his time there was frustrating. His best years were at Sevilla when they were barely a UEFA Cup side and La Liga wasn't as strong as it became from the 2000's.

Mandžukić somehow managed to become a fixture at Bayern, Atletico Madrid and Juve. Won and scored in CL finals then topped it off with the WC in Russia. I still can't put him in the same bracket as the other two but agree he had a better career than both.

·
Registered
23,517 Posts
Was thinking about Mandzo's goals....he scored not only in two seperate CL finals...but a WC semi and WC final.

Thinking about who else has scored in a CL final and a WC final....off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else other than Zidane. Ronaldo hasn't been to a WC final, Messi has been to a WC final but didn't score. Quite the exclusive club.

Suker's Golden Boot was quite impressive though scoring in 6 different games at a WC.

If Boksic plays in the 98 WC, we might have won it all.

6301 - 6320 of 6320 Posts