Xtratime Community banner

6161 - 6164 of 6164 Posts

·
Registered
69,255 Posts
Half those countries will probably not have any players who are good enough to play in the HNL let alone the NT, and that's being kind (USA, Canada and even Australia for starters). Also most Cro's in these countries are by now 2nd/3rd generation. Pulisic is the only one from the US who had any potential and he had 0% interest. There were a few Cro-Americans in the past decade but most were barely professional players. Even Australia isn't developing decent players anymore, with respect you can't tell me the likes of Jedinak, Juric, Spiranovic etc. would have been real reinforcements. I still remember that hoopla over Spiranovic, I don't even know if he played in a top European league after that. Canada is not even worth discussing, they might be something in 5-10 years with Davies/David and the creation of their own league

The South American camps are maybe more intriguing but those I suppose will have a lot of difficulties becoming eligible to play for Croatia considering by now at best their only connection is grandparents. There is a player Matko Miljevic from Argentina, he is eligible for three countries and was on the shortlist for Argentina's Olympic squad

I fear these is nothing but a money grab like when PSG or Barcelona open 'camps' here in the United States, where parents spend ridiculous money for them to train with some C-level Barca youth coaches just so they can brag about being a part of it, yet having 0.0001% of joining the academy. That's the problem with American soccer, worldwide it's a game for everybody, in the US its a upper middle-class sport, but thats for another topic :p

The best source for diaspora players will still be Germany, Austria, Switzerland

·
dinamo67
9,429 Posts
Yeah your right, most of our diaspora talent will come from Europe, especially Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

There's two from Argentina; Matko Milijevic and Mateo Bajamich. Bajamich I think has already gotten Cro citizenship and expressed his desire to play for Croatia.

Australia always has a decent amount of Croatians playing in the A league. Of course these guys aren't really good enough for the NT. Ivan Vujica played for Dinamo's youth team and had a cap for Croatia U19 a few years ago. Unfortunately he's a had problems with injuries and is in the A League now. Same story with Steven Ugarkovic. Not sure his story but he's also in the A League now after capping twice for Cro U19.
The Australian team that made the 2019 U17 World Cup R16 included 5 (3GK) Cro players; Adrian Pavlesic (GK, starter), Oliver Kalac (GK), Nicholas Bilokapic (GK), Anton Mlinaric (MF, starter) and Noah Botic (FW, starter). I don't keep much tabs on these players other than the fact that the starters are pretty talented from what I've heard. I would keep extra attention to Botic, who's with Hoffenheim's youth atm. 4 goals in 4 games at the WC and wiki also has him with 17 goals in 22 caps for Australia. Impressive.
There's a few others, but nothing worth mentioning until they get older and some playing time.

I've mentioned this before but if the NT ever gets in trouble with GK's, just look to Australia. We produce em like crazy here. :D

·
dinamo67
9,429 Posts
Btw there's also always been a small number of Aussie Cro's playing in Croatia. Currently there's Anthony Kolik (Gorica), Deni Juric (Sibenik, who's previously been capped for Cro U19), Doni Grdic (Sibenik), Phillip Cancar (Hrvatski Dragovoljac), Josip Zelic (Dubrava) and there's Luka Prso who's in Slovenia. All these guys besides Juric who's 22 so too old have also been capped for Australia's U20 team. So there's plenty of quantity 😁. The chance they actually get close to the Cro NT one day though is as slim as slim gets.

6161 - 6164 of 6164 Posts