Xtratime Community banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Andy Caroll is one of those players who should be appreciated for what he is, rather than what he isn't.
What Andy Carroll is, is a striker who has averaged less than 6 goals per season in 1st tier football; what he isn't is "a top player".

Kocsis scored incredible amounts of goals. He played almost his entire career with Zoltán Czibor, who was the best crosser of the ball I have ever seen. I'll need @MajorGeorge to give us the stats on how many headers he scored!
I also have Kocsis in my top 3.

·
Registered
Valencia CF
318 Posts
United with Ronny have been hilariously shit lol. People thought he'd improve them but it's been the opposite.

Ronny looked out of it to me in the Euros despite the goals and then you factor in Ole and this isn't that surprising.

·
Registered
80,163 Posts
What Andy Carroll is, is a striker who has averaged less than 6 goals per season in 1st tier football; what he isn't is "a top player".

I also have Kocsis in my top 3.

See...this is what I'm talking about. You judge a striker on goals. In football that is a sin.

For example in the early 90s Man Utd played with Mark Hughes who scores 20ish goals a season. While Cole and Shearer were scoring 30+ a season.

However, Man Utd were playing a counter-attack game. Many times the ball went up to Hughes who fought off defenders and played other forwards in. He would make runs across the box which his marker would follow him....flick by Cantona and Giggs is on goal in space and score. He also was intelligent to do dummies and stepovers so someone better placed would score. Sure a selfish striker gets more goals on his record, but does the TEAM score more? Did Blackburn or Newcastle score more as a team? Nope...Man Utd as a team scored more.

When Cole signed for Man United he was lost for about 2/3 seasons as he was told 34 goals a season is not what they want from him. After a lot of coaching it clicked and still now he talks about what a great player he became after thinking more about the team than his goal-scoring record. He scored amounts like Hughes & Man Utd won the Treble, World Club Cup. Plus 2 more titles playing this way.

As I said...if they played to Carroll's strengths it would be a different story. You can't expect him to play one twos around the box and play through the center of the opponent's defense. You need to feed a player like that. Put crosses in...play to his strengths.

Do you think Kocsis would score all those headers without the service from Czibor? Not a chance. He'd probably get 6 goals a season too.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
See...this is what I'm talking about. You judge a striker on goals. In football that is a sin.

For example in the early 90s Man Utd played with Mark Hughes who scores 20ish goals a season. While Cole and Shearer were scoring 30+ a season.

However, Man Utd were playing a counter-attack game. Many times the ball went up to Hughes who fought off defenders and played other forwards in. He would make runs across the box which his marker would follow him....flick by Cantona and Giggs is on goal in space and score. He also was intelligent to do dummies and stepovers so someone better placed would score. Sure a selfish striker gets more goals on his record, but does the TEAM score more? Did Blackburn or Newcastle score more as a team? Nope...Man Utd as a team scored more.

When Cole signed for Man United he was lost for about 2/3 seasons as he was told 34 goals a season is not what they want from him. After a lot of coaching it clicked and still now he talks about what a great player he became after thinking more about the team than his goal-scoring record. He scored amounts like Hughes & Man Utd won the Treble, World Club Cup. Plus 2 more titles playing this way.

As I said...if they played to Carroll's strengths it would be a different story. You can't expect him to play one twos around the box and play through the center of the opponent's defense. You need to feed a player like that. Put crosses in...play to his strengths.

Do you think Kocsis would score all those headers without the service from Czibor? Not a chance. He'd probably get 6 goals a season too.
He scores less than Ramos, who is a defender, so I don't know how much he deserves to be excused.

·
Registered
505 Posts
He had a ptsd attack watching Salah tearing his team on their yard after Messi doing the same for years in La Liga.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts