Xtratime Community banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
53,540 Posts
Its Dominik Szoboszlai, he is amazing really, will be interesting to follow on Leipzig. But technically not a teenager anymore

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
I didn't say he was a teenager...I was talking about when he was.

Watch this first.

Then

If you're still interested. Search other compilations that show more of his assists. Some of them are insane. The touch, control and weight of pass..even the difficulty is a joy to watch.

However...we're all aware he's Hungarian. But to have a world class player like this is just insane.

Let me know how good you think he is, Andy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Its Dominik Szoboszlai, he is amazing really, will be interesting to follow on Leipzig. But technically not a teenager anymore
Yeap I thought that he was talking about a 16 or 17 years old kid.
Maybe he ends with a great carreer yet he looks good but not a generational talent or a formidable one like CR. BUt easy on the eye indeed.

·
Administrator
53,540 Posts
His right foot and over style of side midfielder/roaming flank conservative playmaking mid, reminds me of Beckham then any generational level attacker.

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
Yeap I thought that he was talking about a 16 or 17 years old kid.
Maybe he ends with a great carreer yet he looks good but not a generational talent or a formidable one like CR. BUt easy on the eye indeed.
The videos I posted are him mainly between 16-18 (about 80%). 20% 19 years old.

He's been injured for 9 months. He started against Stuttgart (1st start for new club) and scored two goals.

Not to mention he took Hungary to the euros by himself. Including picking the ball in his own half running past all the defenders and smashing it past the keeper like it was the most natural thing ever (in the final seconds).

Absolute tragedy he missed the euros. With him we would've beaten ze Germans easy.

Do not insult him calling him Beckham. He has real technical ability...two-footed. Outrageous control and touch.

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
Just came across an interesting stat. During the 2010/11 season, Ronaldo had only 82 touches inside the opponent's box in all competitions(including NT).

Unfortunately I can't find exactly how many of his 60 goals that season came from touches inside the box, although surely a significant percentage were scored that way. Don't have anything to compare it to but it must have been an insane conversion rate.

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
I remember talking about this at the time. Ronaldo who was playing as a winger this season got a phenomenal amount of goals. He was truly at his peak.

Here's a video of his play from that season. Only has a few goals from that season...but watching his quality level on the ball...I think people have forgotten how good he was 10 years ago. People have short memories and think he's a machine that scores goals. No, he had all this plus ridiculous goal scoring at the same time.

I'm so grateful I got to see him from his Sporting days into my team.

Living legend. People may think these clips are from ten decades of football :) but just one season. You can add over 50 more goals to this video! Incredible.

·
Registered
16,593 Posts
I remember there was this wide receiver whose main part of his game was his incredible speed. As he aged he, naturally, slowed down. Some reporter said to him "what do you say to people that say you've lost a step?"....he says "I had a step to lose"

No.....you don't....not at the highest level.

That was his last year.

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
You misread my post...I obviously stated he's passed his peak and changed his game.

In another thread I said he lost muscle because he can't carry it like he could at his peak.

He lost some of his power at 33...it's clear as day. He's not the player he was.

But even a 70% CR7 can be top scorer in Serie A.

·
*the drum drum*
43,421 Posts
Whilst Cristiano has 'lost' muscle mass, I wouldn't put it solely down to ageing, as you could see the difference in him even prior to turning 30. I think he changed his focus after moving to Madrid to focus less on physical size and more on a power-to-weight ratio.

He'll be fine for a while yet, but there will need to be more effort to manage his game time to optimise his performances for the long term.

·
Registered
47,701 Posts
Haven't watched much of him this season but at Juventus, he still looked like a top player...top scorer in the league, after all. The criticisms were about his team play which - let's face it - were criticisms he's faced even at his peak at RM. Individual stats vs wins, etc. The main difference is that there seemed to be a bit of a rift between him and some others compared to RM where everyone just adjusted to his game.

It's clear the freak fitness and pace is waning a bit but his headers are ridiculous. The air time, the timing the anticipation...he's turned into one of the best heading strikers I've ever seen in terms of technique and ability.

Reactions: Ante

·
Registered
Valencia CF
265 Posts
Wasn't really impressed with his game at the Euros, and he still seems the same atm.

·
Registered
24,484 Posts
I think he lost the most important ingredient of them all. Hunger.

the only thing I can see him get some last hunger for is the world cup.

·
Registered
47,701 Posts
A full article on Ronaldo's heading quality:

I was never twinkletoes or a magic curler when it comes to football (not even in my wildest dreams) but my heading was always better than most...I attribute it to my basketball background since peak jump timing, take-off and approach is bread and butter stuff for everyone. Does anyone else think basketball gave their heading an advantage? I think there's something to this.

Reactions: TTM

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
A full article on Ronaldo's heading quality:

I was never twinkletoes or a magic curler when it comes to football (not even in my wildest dreams) but my heading was always better than most...I attribute it to my basketball background since peak jump timing, take-off and approach is bread and butter stuff for everyone. Does anyone else think basketball gave their heading an advantage? I think there's something to this.
I remember when several prominent EPL figures absentmindedly called Andy Caroll the best header in the world years ago 🤣. I wikied him now and in retrospective the hype around him was crazy: "the best striker in the Premier League", "most expensive transfer ever for a British footballer".

Ronaldo meanwhile has scored significantly more with his head than Andy Caroll's total career goals, which is one of the most insane stats I can think of lmao. He's been the GOAT in this department for many years now, the numbers speak for themselves (I think it's 135 as of now).

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
Andy Caroll is one of those players who should be appreciated for what he is, rather than what he isn't.

This was a top player and would've achieved a lot more if he played during the 80s and the 90s.

I've not read the article... but CR7 was a great header of the ball going back to his Sporting Youth days. Bölöni played him as a winger at 16/17 because he felt he didn't have the strength to play against centre backs for 90mins.

Ronaldo went to a coach at United (forget his name...local guy) and said he wanted him to help him gain more power. He would train with him away from others watching him. Mainly so nobody could see his mistakes. But he was also teased for doing it. Putting weights on his ankles, legs and body. Others thought it was silly. But he practiced outside of regular training for hours just to power up. It started in 2003 and around 2005 the results I started to see. In a 4-1 loss at 'Boro he scored a power header that Duncan Ferguson would have been proud of. Just a few months after I said "this guy is currently the best in the world". A fast winger, went past Henize like he was standing still. CR7 giving away 10 yards head-start caught him and got the ball back. He could literally do anything. Put him up front he was the best striker. Put him a left back...he was the best LB. Crossing and Passing...no problem. In the 06/07 he made 30 freaking assists in one season. He started to score regular freekicks and headers too. He built an all-round game in less than 3 years.

His headers were the same...but he started to be able to hang in the air like a basketballer. No doubt he did specific training to do that.

Firdaus, have you seen Ronaldo tested to the limit documentary? It's amazing to watch to see how he's trained his body specifically for skills in football. For example he can't run in a straight line that fast. But going around obstacles the way his eyes work, the way he change direction etc. Nobody can beat him! They also turn out the lights after a cross and even in the dark he scores as he's already picked up the trajectory and anticipated what his body needs to do.

They also go into why he can hang in the air. You've probably already seen it, mate. But if you haven't you're in for a treat.

It's just so remarkable that he has trained a certain way to perfect so many skills.

There is no doubt having basketball skills in your toolbox help you heading in football.

The best headers of the ball I've see are Sándor Kocsis, Duncan Ferguson and Ronaldo.

If Ferguson played in better teams he would have scored 3-4 times more goals in his career. What our Romanian friend is forgetting...players with great heading ability rely on service. Dunk had just 2 season with Kanchelskis. The only decent crosser of the ball he played with. By that time Kanchelskis was more of a wide goal scorer, so not so many crosses from him either.

Kocsis scored incredible amounts of goals. He played almost his entire career with Zoltán Czibor, who was the best crosser of the ball I have ever seen. I'll need @MajorGeorge to give us the stats on how many headers he scored!

·
Registered
47,701 Posts
Yeah, Cahill had a real sense for it, didn't he? It's special because he wasn't the tallest by any means but he had great instinct and timing...and bravery. It really goes to show how it's a very different skill-set.

What goes through your mind when you see a ball coming in and you plan for a header? For me, I always prefer to run on to it (approach dictates ideal contact) and take off on one foot. So my brain will immediately make this VR or 3D simulation where the trajectory of the ball is traced, my path is traced out, my take-off point with my preferred take-off foot is mapped and a silhouette of my final position making contact with the final position of the ball is shown. Then you execute and I'm thinking that anyone who visualises it in a way that's remotely similar will have much more success than others.

What you can do is lob a ball - or even a crumpled piece of paper - up and watch people go up to head it...it could surprise you how you can see people process it so differently.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts