Xtratime Community banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
16,593 Posts
Most dominant superstar I've seen in sport has been Michael Jordan and while he was still elite at 37, he was not what he was at even 35.........and it was falling fast after that. It is the laws of nature and there is no getting around it. The probability of CR getting injured goes up exponentially as he ages....as one who has experienced it and can read the data, I know this is true.....that is why I'm willing to bet....the odds are HEAVILY in my favor :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
If he wants he can play and will forced himself to do it, till he is 45. His obssession with having the best stats ever will make him try to be in the pitch till he's done with the task.

There is too much talk about his age but a lot younger player has worse declines, dips in form and even less impressive strict stats production and are not talk in the same way regarding even salaries.

Another matter is how you use him in your team and how you create a tactical display that suits his best traits.

·
Registered
17,831 Posts
A few points:
  1. His contract was insane
  2. Your team was good enough to win the scudetto last year (with a decent manager) - I don't buy the rebuild excuse at all, especially for your chances of winning the scudetto (your only weak point was central midfield and that's been weak even since and when you used to go to the CL final under Allegri)
  3. Ronaldo started too many games and was not substituted enough, because Pirlo was afraid of the mess it would cause.
  4. He had very little influence in big games against tough opponents.. I think of Inter for example. He wasn't pressing and he wasn't creating for others. I said it many times last season, the engines of Juve last season were Morata and Chiesa, and Cuadrado to a less consistent degree due to his age and position.
So all in all, Juve fans should be laughing with joy that you got rid of that contract and still get 20mil for him. i really thought no one would take him and you would be stuck with him.

Edit: Just read the article. I completely agree. Similarly when Juve got Higuain to replace Pogba, they got Ronaldo when they needed to strengthen their still weak midfield. They got a celebrity but the club lost its stature when it comes to results. Anyway, that is the risk for United too. He will have a field day against shit clubs but will drag the team down when they play the likes of city or liverpool, while being toxic in the dressing room if he is not played. 2 year contract? ouch
1. Yes, but so is Messi's, so is Neymar's, so is Mbappe's. It's the going rate for players of this caliber. It's just a fact of life.
2. Yes, agreed but that's why i pointed to the errors in the coaching hires, obviously Pirlo being the most glaring. Pirlo was not a decent manager, so i'm not sure why this is Ronaldo's fault or a blemish on his legacy?
3. This is i think the only real issue there was with Ronaldo, he basically was too big to be benched even for his own good to give him some rest. This is true, and i think this is true for any coach not just Pirlo. You will see, even Solksjaer will have trouble benching him.
4. Yes, but the guy is 36 and was 35 last year, you cannot expect him to do be doing all that hustle. It's just something you have to accept, most players his age are either retired or in some shitty league in Asia or the MLS. He was still playing at the highest level and scoring goals, and contributing. But at some point we have to adjust our expectations to his age.

I don't know about being toxic, but i definitely agree that benching him is an ongoing issue that Solksjaer will have to navigate carefully.

Reactions: ToniSamp and Osman

·
Registered
18,344 Posts
1. Yes, but so is Messi's, so is Neymar's, so is Mbappe's. It's the going rate for players of this caliber. It's just a fact of life.
2. Yes, agreed but that's why i pointed to the errors in the coaching hires, obviously Pirlo being the most glaring. Pirlo was not a decent manager, so i'm not sure why this is Ronaldo's fault or a blemish on his legacy?
3. This is i think the only real issue there was with Ronaldo, he basically was too big to be benched even for his own good to give him some rest. This is true, and i think this is true for any coach not just Pirlo. You will see, even Solksjaer will have trouble benching him.
4. Yes, but the guy is 36 and was 35 last year, you cannot expect him to do be doing all that hustle. It's just something you to accept, most players his age are either retired or in some shitty league in Asia or the MLS. He was still playing at the highest level and scoring goals, and contributing. But at some point we have to adjust our expectations to his age.

I don't know about being toxic, but i definitely agree that benching him is an ongoing issue that Solksjaer will have to navigate carefully.
You're kind of evading the points I am making in relation to whether he is a good fit on a team or as the Guardian article writer describes it.

1. He is NOT a player with those guys' influence anymore.
2. Ronaldo didn't not bring Juve to cup glory because Juve was in a rebuild. Juventus is not truly in a rebuild. He didn't bring them to glory because he's not that influential anymore and because Juve could have used that cash to strengthen their midfield.
3. Not accepting subs, starting on the bench, letting other players take set pieces, etc is a huge point at this level.
4. I'm not doubting how extraordinary it is for Ronaldo to be this good at his age. I'm saying it doesn't warrant what Juve paid for him in salary and transfer fee, nor the extent they left him on the field.

·
Registered
17,831 Posts
You're kind of evading the points I am making in relation to whether he is a good fit on a team or as the Guardian article writer describes it.

1. He is NOT a player with those guys' influence anymore.
2. Ronaldo didn't not bring Juve to cup glory because Juve was in a rebuild. Juventus is not truly in a rebuild. He didn't bring them to glory because he's not that influential anymore and because Juve could have used that cash to strengthen their midfield.
3. Not accepting subs, starting on the bench, letting other players take set pieces, etc is a huge point at this level.
4. I'm not doubting how extraordinary it is for Ronaldo to be this good at his age. I'm saying it doesn't warrant what Juve paid for him in salary and transfer fee, nor the extent they left him on the field.
1. Based on what? His numbers suggest he is. You think any of these guys are big hustle players either? C'mon.
2. I think it's very clear we are in rebuild, and sure you can argue that he took resources away from bringing in other stars, but that's not his determination to make, that was the club's. I'm not sure if we've ever had a younger squad, especially if you take out Chiellini who is mostly a non-factor nowadays due to his injury problems. We have no recognisable stars in midfield, in defense De Ligt is relatively experienced for his age but still very young. Our biggest star Chiesa just got finished completing his first season at the club. Up front, we didn't really have consistent performers apart from Ronaldo. I think the evidence is overwhelming we're in a rebuild.
3. I agree with the subs and set pieces criticism. But that in itself is not enough to make this argument.
4. And i think that's fair, but his stats have not really dropped off, and we've struggled having a capocannoniere in the last few years. I just think you can't argue with the numbers, but i understand efficacy and value goes beyond that too.

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
Looks like a silly decision. Instead of going to a team with realistic chances to win the CL, he went to one that hasn't won the league title since 2013 and can't get past CL QFs.

·
Registered
47,701 Posts
Where do you guys think CR7 ranks in terms of heading ability? I think he's right up there.

·
1st Tier Poster
52,295 Posts
Looks like a silly decision. Instead of going to a team with realistic chances to win the CL, he went to one that hasn't won the league title since 2013 and can't get past CL QFs.
teams with a realistic chance to win the CL have no need for him whatsoever

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
teams with a realistic chance to win the CL have no need for him whatsoever
Even if he wasn't the Serie A and EURO top scorer, anyone would want him solely for the financial aspect (we'll probably hear about the insane numbers in a few days).

He should have gone to City, but apparently it was Sir Alex who convinced him to join United. Bye bye Ballon d'Or.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
24,484 Posts
All I wanted to say has already been said. But I would say that I think both ManU and Juve will be slightly weakened by this.

Juve because they will miss his goals and ManU because they already worked really well and he will upset their balance.

·
Registered
Valencia CF
265 Posts
Some of the defending in the Prem is still pretty hapless, Ronaldo should bag loads.

Dunno if United will challenge though for the title.

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
I'm predicting Juve will do better and ManU will do worse than last season.
But that has more than Ronaldo to base that on. Inter are weaker.

I predict EPL, FA cup and Liga Cup treble.
Next year EPL and CL.

The team just picks itself now. There is only one place up for grabs when every one is fit and the replacements are quality.

The back ups are easy top 6 team. It's the best squad Utd have ever had. In some positions there are 4 quality players that can play.

But most important for me. 10 out of 11 players pick themselves.The players will gel and for a team. We haven't had that for years.

Ronaldo doesn't come to fight for 4th.

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
I can see parallels with Cantona's return in 95. All the young players looked at him to show them the way. He can extract an extra 15% out of some players. Especially Pogba....he hasn't had someone on his level since Zlatan.

Football isn't rocket science....the most important thing is top players. Then make them function as a team...as the team almost picks itself it will come together quickly.

We'll see...but I've not been this excited for a very long time. There is now quality in every position and top draw back up.

It'll probably be an all EPL final in the CL again as well. There is a 'top 4' again.

·
Registered
80,060 Posts
Here's the 2nd best teenage player I've seen in his 1st Bundesliga start.

Search compilations on YouTube for me. In many way he's better than Ronaldo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
t
Surely deserves a thread?

Ronaldo supported by Sancho, Rashford, Bruno, with Pogba behind.

Damn

Can Man U win the Premiership or CL?
there's no doubt he'll bail this season. Pogba and Bruno are in great form. then you have new signing Sancho. although I have a feeling they'll crash out early in the Champions League

·
Registered
18,952 Posts
United will easily have the same problems Juventus (and Portugal) had. CR7 will probably score up to 30 goals but other players will score less and work harder.
Exactly.

It's not like he stands around patiently waiting for others to supply him. He goes on stupid dribbles, takes awful free kicks, hogs the ball etc. Obviously never tracks back.

The polar opposite of a team player. Juventus were clearly a worse team with Ronaldo in the side.

His finishing and power are still devastating but it's a huge trade-off.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts