Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
66,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely deserves a thread?

Ronaldo supported by Sancho, Rashford, Bruno, with Pogba behind.

Damn

Can Man U win the Premiership or CL?

·
Registered
66,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't the CR that left though....
He won't be the winger like before when he was playing with Rooney and Tevez, he will play cf this time with Sancho and Rashford doing the running and assisting for him, then you have his Portugal buddy Bruno, and Pogba who started the season in amazing form. CR can get 20+ goals this season

·
Registered
16,512 Posts
Sure he can....how many will be from the spot though? He's 36 and will be 37 in April....Father time waits for no man. Look at the greatest that have ever played....this is around the time they either lose a step or get injured....which...makes them lose a step. I'll put money down that he has an injury-plagued season. I'll even bet it will be in the hamstring or groin area. I KNOW THINGS :D

·
*the drum drum*
43,403 Posts
Get what you are saying, but 36-37 is the new 31-32, and elite sporting careers are running into the mid 30s without many issues these days.

If there is an athlete who ushers in an era that makes 40 the new 30, it could well be Cristiano. Well, an athlete other than Tom Brady I suppose.

He’s a very good 9 now and should be able to net 20 goals without breaking much of a sweat. If he went to City, he’d have been the missing piece to their puzzle and scored an insane amount of goals.

·
Registered
48,233 Posts
United will easily have the same problems Juventus (and Portugal) had. CR7 will probably score up to 30 goals but other players will score less and work harder. I don't expect Bruno to score hattricks again with CR7 around. It will be up to the manager to obtain the best from CR7 without losing much from the other players. Not an easy job, I sensed Allegri was relieved when he was informed that CR7 would leave. Obviously, Juventus needs someone else to score CR7's goals and that won'tbe easy but tactically speaking working without a primadonna like CR7 is easier.

·
Registered
18,336 Posts
Apparently Guardiola was not super hot on the idea of taking Ronaldo. What Toni mentions seems on point and I am sure that allegri is very relieved. Juve's season can finally start...

·
Administrator
53,532 Posts
He is not gonna get injured, and he will easily score 25-30 goals. The main thing with him is the importance of clutch goals in do or die moments/big games, more then the consistent goals vs anyone.

But tactically and the gravity issues he can be for a team is a legit one that Toni brings up. I will MISS HIS GOALS ALOT for Juve, but at the same time, I am excited to see Chiesa, Dybala, Morata, Kulusevski, Kean, Locatelli and so on, play their game as a group and team without the almost worshipping deferring and constant need to feed and pass to Ronaldo only. Actually Chiesa will be uneffected, he had a hard nosed stubborn style that he is the alpha in games despite having this huge icon next to him. While the rest felt like they were trying to hide under the shadow he gives off. There is growth to be had in players when they realize they have to be the ones to step up and produce.

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
18,336 Posts
He is not gonna get injured, and he will easily score 25-30 goals. The main thing with him is the importance of clutch goals in do or die moments/big games, more then the consistent goals vs anyone.

But tactically and the gravity issues he can be for a team is a legit one that Toni brings up. I will MISS HIS GOALS ALOT for Juve, but at the same time, I am excited to see Chiesa, Dybala, Morata, Kulusevski, Kean, Locatelli and so on, play their game as a group and team without the almost worshipping deferring and constant need to feed and pass to Ronaldo only. Actually Chiesa will be uneffected, he had a hard nosed stubborn style that he is the alpha in games despite having this huge icon next to him. While the rest felt like they were trying to hide under the shadow he gives off. There is growth to be had in players when they realize they have to be the ones to step up and produce.
For sure and I think Bernardeschi's member shrunk even more with CR7 around. Hopefully the Juve players take their place now.

·
Administrator
53,532 Posts
Berna allways plays like you need a magnifying glass to see his member, so he is one of the few who probably were uneffected by CR7's presence.

• Haha
Reactions: TTM

·
Registered
80,001 Posts
Ronaldo is probably the best ever athlete in football. I have zero doubt he's going to be less of a player than the last 3 years.

Dude only drinks water since he was last at Utd...has the best sport science known. Eats nothing but what's good for him.

There is no doubt he'll get 40 goals this season unless obviously if he gets injured he can't.

Ronaldo always has missed a lot of chances. He did at Utd and Real. That's never bothered me...he also takes some wild freekicks and not every header goes in! But you know what...he has his hissy fit, dusts himself down and goes harder everytime.

Since Mr Alex left I never had confidence in a title challenge. Providing the keeper and back 4 stay fit I think it's on. The only weak point of a first 11 is someone to play alongside Bruno and Pogba. I like Scott, but he's not top draw.

I wouldn't mind flogging Rashford, Mata, Lingard and bring in a midfielder.

I've cried only a few times in my life with joy watching Man Utd. Twice in 96 when Éric lifted the EPL Trophy and the FA Cup after an epic 2 years of events. 1999 when Fergie's legends came on the pitch and played the treble team (Cantona, Hughes, Robson, Sharp etc. 2006 when I heard 2OLEGEND chants in his reserve comeback and I literally dropped to my knees when he scored against Charlton. 2008 CL final...and yesterday when I heard the news and started to watch compilations.

I knew of Ronaldo 2 year before he came to Man Utd. His coach was László Bölöni. I joined a Portuguese forum to follow his progress and the guys were saying Ronaldo was going to be better than Eusabio and Figo. At first I thought bollox, but after I watched him I said I never seen a teenager with that control and confidence. Doing stepovers when he's one on one and score at 16/17 yrs old! I knew he was special and wanted him at Utd. For about a year I talked about it and when it happened I told everyone this is going to be one of the best players in the world. After his first season, I was sure he was going to be one of the best ever when he was called a show pony. I was mocked and I took it...but in 2005 I said he WAS the best player in the world. By some distance! 2006 I said only Messi can challenge him to be the best in the world. TomRSCA said no, Kaká too. I said...nowhere near the same level. People kept mocking. Ronaldo scores 44 goals and wins everything Pista said I don't care if he scores 50 goals, he's just average :) he goes onto 70 goals + seasons.

What I'm trying to say is, Ronaldo is my boy. His record, his accomplishments have silenced everyone who doubted my words.

For him to return...I feel my boy's returned home. I'm gonna get some of the magic in my team that I've seen him give other teams!

I'm finally looking forward to games again.

·
Registered
48,233 Posts
Wow...
To be honest he is not the player who makes that kind of effect on me. He is formidable, no doubt, the impact on any team can be huge, but I would share the point of Osman if I were a gobbentino. For example Dybala is a fantastic player whose impact on the games is without a doubt inferior to the one CR7 can have, but Dybala is a different player, much more enjoyable, without CR7. Juventus had become a sort of CR7 or nothing, in particular in the last season. And in the lasy season the impact of CR7 had not been so umpressive as it was in the first.

·
Registered
Valencia CF
248 Posts
Not seen him at Juve, but wasn't that impressed with him at the Euros tbh. Despite the goals.

·
Administrator
53,532 Posts
Not seen him at Juve, but wasn't that impressed with him at the Euros tbh. Despite the goals.
Felt like a fairytale having in your team for real, like anything could happen at any time clinical wise. Not consistently impressive gameplay wise anymore (havent been in a while), but could at any point just score like its the most routine thing ever. His game vs Atletico Madrid will forever live in every Juventini's memory bank.

Defenitely gonna miss the collective SIIUUUUS :D

Reactions: LCF

·
Registered
17,827 Posts
I don't know how much i agree with the narrative that he held Juve back.

I think it's just someone of his stature, you end up being so larger than life that you have things sucked into your orbit. But the reality is we made poor managerial decisions, and that led to us underachieving not Ronaldo.

Having said that, it didn't make sense to have Ronaldo around when really we are in the middle of a rebuild and need to nurture younger talent that needs to gain experience and have opportunities to grow.

If you were to look at us like an NBA team, there is no way you would have someone with such an expensive contract if you had a roster of young, up and coming players in the NBA. Likewise, it didn't make sense for us to keep him when it's clear we aren't in a position to compete at the highest level yet.

So it didn't make sense for him, and it didn't make sense for us. I'm going to be honest, had we renewed his contract under the same terms, i doubt he would have cared and would have just stayed put at this stage of his career. He's already won everything there is to win. But i think when it was clear we would not renew his contract, he felt slighted and wanted to leave abruptly, much in the same way he left Real when there were murmurs that they were entertaining bids for him.

Anyhow, it will always be satisfying to have someone as great as him play for the club. And yeah, i wish him luck in the EPL with Man Utd.

·
Registered
18,336 Posts
I don't know how much i agree with the narrative that he held Juve back.

I think it's just someone of his stature, you end being so larger than life that you end having things sucked into your orbit. But the reality is we made poor managerial decisions, and that led to us underachieving not Ronaldo.

Having said that, it didn't make sense to have Ronaldo around when really we are in the middle of a rebuild and need to nurture younger talent that needs to gain experience and have opportunities to grow.

If you were to look at us like an NBA team, there is no way you would have someone with such an expensive contract if you had a roster of young, up and coming players in the NBA. Likewise, it didn't make sense for us to keep him when it's clear we aren't in a position to compete at the highest level yet.

So it didn't make sense for him, and it didn't make sense for us. I'm going to be honest, had we renewed his contract under the same terms, i doubt he would have cared and would have just stayed put at this stage of his career. He's already won everything there is to win. But i think when it was clear we would not renew his contract, he felt slighted and wanted to leave abruptly, much in the same way he left Real when there were murmurs that they were entertaining bids for him.

Anyhow, it will always be satisfying to have someone as great as him play for the club. And yeah, i wish him luck in the EPL with Man Utd.
A few points:
  1. His contract was insane
  2. Your team was good enough to win the scudetto last year (with a decent manager) - I don't buy the rebuild excuse at all, especially for your chances of winning the scudetto (your only weak point was central midfield and that's been weak even since and when you used to go to the CL final under Allegri)
  3. Ronaldo started too many games and was not substituted enough, because Pirlo was afraid of the mess it would cause.
  4. He had very little influence in big games against tough opponents.. I think of Inter for example. He wasn't pressing and he wasn't creating for others. I said it many times last season, the engines of Juve last season were Morata and Chiesa, and Cuadrado to a less consistent degree due to his age and position.
So all in all, Juve fans should be laughing with joy that you got rid of that contract and still get 20mil for him. i really thought no one would take him and you would be stuck with him.

Edit: Just read the article. I completely agree. Similarly when Juve got Higuain to replace Pogba, they got Ronaldo when they needed to strengthen their still weak midfield. They got a celebrity but the club lost its stature when it comes to results. Anyway, that is the risk for United too. He will have a field day against shit clubs but will drag the team down when they play the likes of city or liverpool, while being toxic in the dressing room if he is not played. 2 year contract? ouch

1 - 20 of 48 Posts