Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, apologies if you are 'offended' if I create a new thread just to ask one simple question but I don't know where to post this so...:)

In the game against Real Madrid in Nou Camp earlier this season, I notice that there is a fans' choreography that formed the St. George cross with the words "since 1899" in the middle of it.

What does the English have in relation with you? Were you created/started by a group of Englishmen just like AC Milan? Thanx! :)

And I just wanna send my condolescence after last night's match but like Koeman4 said, you can be proud of your players because they played passionately with all their energy. And besides, you have the La Liga already, unlike us who'd most probably end the season empty-handed for the umpteenth time. :(

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Catalonia and England share the same patron saint - Only he's known as Jordi rather than George, but it would be the same flag/cross to represent him i think.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Only Barca's club crest, it is the St. George cross. It represents the English linkage. FCB was founded by a group of ENglishmen, which so they have the cross on the crest as a delication. Also FCB is an English name instead of a Spanish one. The real passionate pusher of the club was Joan Gamper from Switzerland who was a trader and fond of football himself. Spanish Jordi is the same as English George. In fact, we can imagine many clubs in Spain were put forward by ENglishmen earlier in the last century. Real Madrid is a case too. I hope I'm not wrong.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
Only Barca's club crest, it is the St. George cross. It represents the English linkage. FCB was founded by a group of ENglishmen, which so they have the cross on the crest as a delication. Also FCB is an English name instead of a Spanish one. The real passionate pusher of the club was Joan Gamper from Switzerland who was a trader and fond of football himself. Spanish Jordi is the same as English George. In fact, we can imagine many clubs in Spain were put forward by ENglishmen earlier in the last century. Real Madrid is a case too. I hope I'm not wrong.

What are you tlaking about? Real Madrid was founded by Catalan brothers!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Jordi... I'm drunk. :drunk: Cruyff named his son Jordi Cruyff out of this reason, for poeple not familiar with the story. Cruyff loves Barcelona to death :mad: and by naming Jordi show his mistaked love. :frustrat:

Should I thank you?! :nono: Yes, I know that. But I'm not wrong too. Like your club, it depends how your club history defines the founder(s).

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
Jordi... I'm drunk. :drunk: Cruyff named his son Jordi Cruyff out of this reason, for poeple not familiar with the story. Cruyff loves Barcelona to death :mad: and by naming Jordi show his mistaked love. :frustrat:

Should I thank you?! :nono: Yes, I know that. But I'm not wrong too. Like your club, it depends how your club history defines the founder(s).

Your club was found by Catalan brothers, end of story.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:

Not wrong, eh? Despite both clubs NOT being founded by Englishmen as you claimed?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Visca, I can't get your meaning. But what I mean is your founder was Joan Gamper. It is not wrong to say the club were founded by Englishmen. This applies to Real Madrid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
Not wrong, eh? Despite both clubs NOT being founded by Englishmen as you claimed?
The Wittey (sp?) brothers were part of the founding group. Arthur captained the early teams IIRC. They've as much right to be called founders as Gampert.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Hans Gamper is the founder. Simple as. There were other people who came on board later, at both clubs in fact, but Gamper is the catalyst for the creation of Barca. Therefore, you are both equally inaccurate. Personally, I'll take the official club's versions before yourselves, with all due respect. It's not a big deal, so why try to dispute facts? Both clubs have reported their creations in detail, and they both tell a different story from both of you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
Hans Gamper is the founder. Simple as. There were other people who came on board later, at both clubs in fact, but Gamper is the catalyst for the creation of Barca. Therefore, you are both equally inaccurate. Personally, I'll take the official club's versions before yourselves, with all due respect. It's not a big deal, so why try to dispute facts? Both clubs have reported their creations in detail, and they both tell a different story from both of you.
From the Barca site:
Gamper, Gualteri Wild, Lluís d'Ossó, Bartomeu Terradas, Otto Kunzle, Otto Maier, Enric Ducal, Pere Cabot, Carles Pujol, Josep Llobet, John Parsons and William Parsons attended that historic gathering. The meeting established the club and Englishman Gualteri Wild became the first President, combining his executive duties with his playing skills, since Wild, like the rest of the founders, was first and foremost a player.
Yes, Gamper is attributed with the idea, but the founding members include a number of Englishmen. (Wild, not Wittey, as I thought)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
Only Barca's club crest, it is the St. George cross. It represents the English linkage. FCB was founded by a group of ENglishmen, which so they have the cross on the crest as a delication. .
barça has the cross and the catalan flag because the shield of the city has it, not because any english linkage or whatever.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Handoyo said:
First of all, apologies if you are 'offended' if I create a new thread just to ask one simple question but I don't know where to post this so...:)

In the game against Real Madrid in Nou Camp earlier this season, I notice that there is a fans' choreography that formed the St. George cross with the words "since 1899" in the middle of it.

What does the English have in relation with you? Were you created/started by a group of Englishmen just like AC Milan? Thanx! :)

And I just wanna send my condolescence after last night's match but like Koeman4 said, you can be proud of your players because they played passionately with all their energy. And besides, you have the La Liga already, unlike us who'd most probably end the season empty-handed for the umpteenth time. :(
The St.George cross (Creu de Sant Jordi, in Catalan) that appears with our logo doesn't have any relationship with England. We only share the same patron saint, that's all.

Actually, the St. George cross appears next to the Catalan flag and it has its meaning. Check out this pic:

I couldn't find any pic better, anyway... this is the flag of the city of Barcelona. So the FCB logo just includes a tribute to the flag of the city. That's the only reason.

It's true that we had some English founders, but the St. George cross doesn't have any relationship with them.

Ivan Helguera, Real Madrid doesn't have any English founder. I've only found the Spanish version in the Madrid web site (your web page is awful, by the way, it doesn't work anything) and there are many names and none of them are English nor foreigners. I would have liked to give you the link, but the web page sucks and it doesn't work properly.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Hmm, was Real Madrid created by Catalans? Good Catalans or Espanyol-Catalans?
Just Catalans, I guess that in 1902 there were not many fights between barcelonistas and espanyolistas yet... but I guess that they didn't know that were creating a monster.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
K4, thanks for the lesson. Actually I was not that sure about the cross on your crest.. Again I'm not denying the fact Catalans created RM. (In fact, with which words I denied? I said yes in my second post.. Also I don't care about the fact.) I have to check out the data again. There are different versions on the early history. Well, I didn't ever have a look on the official name list of that. I can't find any.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
For the first years of existence, Barça's logo was simply the crest of the city of Barcelona itself (It looked like a square standing on one of its corners), which already contained St. Jordi's cross.
The crest we all know today (at least an earlier version of it) was only taken a decade following the founding of the club, and was the result of a "contest" between club members to design a distinct shield for the club. The winning shield was adopted, but the creator remains anonymous to this day!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts